No announcement yet.

Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m not participating but just wanted to offer my encouragement. Especially some of the exercise posts are inspiring. Way to go guys.

Comment

Week 1: 154.4
      Week 2: 155.4

Not too surprising since I ate a lot of salty foods the past few days. Oh well.
      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
        Week 1: 154.4
        Week 2: 155.4

Not too surprising since I ate a lot of salty foods the past few days. Oh well.
        The whole notion of water weight is weird. While I haven't looked for one I would love a ELIs on it.

Comment

So yeah. Jumped on the scale yesterday and was up 192.2lbs. Man I'm fat...

Comment

Two weeks in. Down 5lbs to 240. Allergies have been really hammering me in that time though. Haven’t been able to breathe or sleep or exercise effectively, so don’t know what impact that’s having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bought candy for 120 kids. 43 showed up. This is not a good math equation because you know where that additional chocolate is going to end up. The weigh in on Monday won't be pretty. And the fact my clothes are all fitting a snug now is NOT good...

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                Bought candy for 120 kids. 43 showed up. This is not a good math equation because you know where that additional chocolate is going to end up. The weigh in on Monday won't be pretty. And the fact my clothes are all fitting a snug now is NOT good...
                Welcome to the big conundrum of weight loss. You read dappered, so you’re a financially cognizant and responsible person. You paid for the candy and you don’t want to waste it.

Throw it out right now. The time you spend working it off at the gym with NEVER cover the $18 you save by not letting it go to waste. You’re personal hourly wage is much higher than the cost of that candy.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  Put that candy in a jar and bring it into work for everyone else to gorge on. Or donate it or something.

Comment

Hey all, I'm coming off an extended hospitalization (all better now) and period of medication that left me with more pounds than I'd like to be carrying so I'm joining the Club. If there is a hazing ritual, please let me know. I'm gonna step on the scale tomorrow and find out how much of an uphill battle awaits.

And [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION], throw that candy in a bucket and leave it outside your door with a sign announcing free leftover Halloween candy. I've lost weight before and had a trainer make me understand the importance of having a cheat day, but don't go wasting your cheat day on prepackaged candy.

Comment

Umm, candy? What candy? There's no candy in this house. I don't know what you're talking about. At least not anymore

Comment

I must say, my baking habit would be substantially more problematic for my waistline if I didn’t have an office full of coworkers to eat my bakes. Of course, they may secretly (or not-so-secretly) resent me since that makes my baking habit more problematic for their waistlines....
                        Ben

Comment

Getting things officially started!
                          Weigh in on Nov. 3: 164 .6 (pre morning poop).
                          Goal: <150 by May 15 (gotta be beach bod ready for my best friend's wedding in Hawaii).

Days remaining: 193
                          Total Calorie deficit needed: 52,500
                          Daily calorie deficit needed: 272
                          Daily Calorie deficit goal: 300

I'll check in either weekly or biweekly.

Disheveled weigh in pictures (Also WIWT: David Archy separate pouches briefs):

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                            What I would be interested in here, and maybe others would find it helpful, would be share about your weight history and how it makes you feel. I'll start

Here's my biggest issue: It doesn't matter how much I weigh--I always see the fat kid and the fat man. Even when I was in top shape. My therapist told me years ago that it is the hardest thing to shake about one's self image--that if you grew up fat, you are always going to see yourself as fat when you look in the mirror. And it's so true. All I see is my stomach. Even when it's not there.

Okay, that's me. Anybody else want to share?

Great Job mebejoseph, understanding yourself and your "why" is a great first step.

I turned 50 this year and decided that health was a priority. I have always been pretty healthy, I have worked out 4-5 days a week ever since I was a kid and continued that into adulthood. That said it is most definitely true for me that as I got older I could not outwork my diet. At the beginning of the year I was 160 (5'7") with 20% body fat. Currently 136 and 12% (based on my scale which is not the best way to measure but what I used at the beginning of the year so comparison is accurate).

What I did - January - Did a 3 day water fast. I am not recommending it for you, but I needed it. I was a wrestler in my younger days so have the ability of depriving myself. For me it was a great start, like jumping right into cold water instead of going in slow. Then for the rest of January I followed the 21 Day Keto Reset protocol. Basically not dairy, no processed foods, water only to drink, tons of veggies. Again for me a great way to squash my dependency on carbs (I cheated and added coffee back in after 3 days though, otherwise I would not have made it). In February I read a few books on brain health and decided to improve my supplements. I now take a Multivitamin, Magnesium, Vitamin D, Fish Oil and a Probiotic (Dr Masley versions) and started to slowly add back in some foods (ie more fruit). In March / April I started to run again as the weather here in MI started to get better, I noticed then that the Keto sort of diet was not working for me from an energy standpoint. So I researched Macros and started using the MyFitnessPal app to track calories and Macros. This really helped me to understand how I reacted to different foods and control portion sizes. Now I am basically where I would like to maintain from a weight point. I do not use the app too much anymore since doing that for 5-6 months gave me a good feeling on what I need to eat and portion sizes.

Summary of my year and what worked for me (so far):

1. Know your why - like mebejoseph recommended, you need to know yourself. For me it was that I am middle age, I have seen too many people suffer through 60-70's with poor health and dementia and decided I was going to do whatever I could today so that 70 year old Joe would be happy with my decisions today.
                            2. Research Macros and do a calorie study for your age / height, then use an app like MyFitnessPal to track for a few months. You will learn exactly what foods are calorie dense and what proper serving sizes are and with the scanning feature on apps now it is not very difficult to do.
                            3. Develop a routine. I eat the same basic 10 or so things for Breakfast, Lunch and afternoon snacks everyday (rotate so as to not be too boring). I know exactly what the caloric intake is and what nutrients / macro count is for these. That leaves me room at night for dinner to be a little more lenient.
                            4. Meal prep if possible, takes away from having to make last minute decisions which will result in Pizza runs.

Joe

Comment

Has anyone looked into additional health screening? My last trip to the Dr. was less than impressive, basically he said good job on the improvements and when I asked what I should do next he said I was doing a good job and continue to drink more water (not very helpful). I am looking to get more detailed on my nutrient levels, looking into https://www.wellnessfx.com/ but not sure if the is the way to go. Thoughts / experiences? Thanks, Joe

Comment

Unless you have some specific symptom that you are concerned is connected to a nutrient deficiency, I’m not sure you really need to be too concerned about nutrient levels as long as you are eating a variety of different plant foods every day.
                                Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X