Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome job [MENTION=15722]calexako[/MENTION]

Comment

This thread is moving quickly! I think I jump on a scale about once a week to gauge my weight but as someone mentioned on a previous page, pictures help! I can tell my weight by how I look in the mirror and gauge it based on my eating.

Comment

5'9'', 184.5 this morning, hoping to lose 10 to 20 lbs.

Comment

I’m in. Currently 6’2” and 228.5 lbs.

Ballooned up to 254 after a move a few years ago. Did the C25K and literally went from a couch to running a 5k in a couple of months. Tracked my food in MyFitnessPal. Dropped down to 218, got off high cholesterol and high blood pressure meds. Then sprained my ankle on a morning run, which took me out for 6 months.

After various other health issues got back up to
          235. Joined a gym and now do 3 days of strength training (MOSSA Group Power) and 2-3 days cardio weekly. Also try to get in an hour walk daily. Have gotten at least 60 minutes exercise daily for 8 weeks now.

I’m not losing much weight, but I’m definitely losing fat. The scale is discouraging, but the smaller clothes are awesome. Building muscle, losing fat. I resorted to measuring waist, hips, neck, and chest to track progress.

Before building the muscle, I was hoping to drop to 195. Now I’m thinking a lean but strong 210 would be awesome.

I still work out to keep ahead of my Dr Pepper habit. Need to break that to get to the next level.

Comment

Also my secret weapon when fast fooding is Chipotle. In Chipotle, you can create your own plate which helps regulate what you consume.

A bowl (skip the tortilla-300cals) with Brown Rice, Black beans, fajita vegetables, steak, mild salsa and lettuce has 600cal and 44g of protein.

I highly recommend it if you can skip the cheese/queso/sour cream etc.

Comment

Originally posted by calexako View Post
              Also my secret weapon when fast fooding is Chipotle. In Chipotle, you can create your own plate which helps regulate what you consume.

A bowl (skip the tortilla-300cals) with Brown Rice, Black beans, fajita vegetables, steak, mild salsa and lettuce has 600cal and 44g of protein.

I highly recommend it if you can skip the cheese/queso/sour cream etc.
              That is almost exactly what I get from Chipotle, except I do barbacoa instead of steak and I do the fresh tomato salsa. 560 calories.
              Ben

Comment

I started marking on a calendar, posted on my fridge, my weight and if I've followed my diet...seems to help. 5'11" 186, gonna get down to 166

Comment

Originally posted by Creature View Post
                  I am just seeing this thread and want in on it. I’m 6‘4“ him probably around 215 right now. My “fighting weight“ is 205. Here is my unsolicited advice:

I want to bring up something I haven’t seen mentioned yet first. Weight is not everything. Body composition plays a huge factor in this. E.g. If you’re someone who has not done a lot of weight training and you start weight training to lose weight you’re likely going to put on pounds from building muscle.

I would highly recommend people either take body fat measurements or take pictures to help track the type of weight that you’re losing. A cut I did a few years ago, over a few months time my weight went from 208 down to 206, but my body fat percentage went from 9 to 6. Not much difference on the scale, but the before and after pictures are much different.
                  Great point about composition. A couple years ago I was nearing 170 lbs (at only 5'6") and looking quite doughy. I cut down by lifting 4-5 days a week with 2-3 quick cardio/HIIT workouts mixed in and dropped to 147 while packing on some muscle/strength.

I'm back up to 163 again, but my lifts are a lot higher than when I was 147lbs, and I don't look as doughy now at 163 as I did back then.

Also, don't use the BMI, as it's absolutely garbage and has nothing to do with fitness or health. It was developed by a mathematician, not a physician. Using the BMI to measure fitness/health/obesity is like using phrenology to measure intelligence.

( Here's a good article about why BMI is so stupid: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=106268439 )
                  Last edited by Nandyn; October 25, 2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I only use BMI to track my weight for purposes of getting $$$ of my insurance premiums at work. I try to shed water weight a few days before my weigh-in to make sure I do not tip the scales...

Comment

Originally posted by Nandyn View Post

Also, don't use the BMI, as it's absolutely garbage and has nothing to do with fitness or health. It was developed by a mathematician, not a physician. Using the BMI to measure fitness/health/obesity is like using phrenology to measure intelligence.

( Here's a good article about why BMI is so stupid: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=106268439 )
                      For most men an easy to take measurement and fairly reflective of most people's goals is going to be waist circumference. You can even calculate waist to height if you want a more useful (than BMI) index measure

Comment

Most gyms have skin fold calipers, or you can buy a pair for cheap on Amazon. I find this to be the most effective and reliable method to test your body fat percentage. There is plenty of literature and videos on the web to learn how to measure yourself. I find this to be the most reliable method as well, because a lot of time people will not measure the correct or same areas on the body, that should be measured.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                          Most gyms have skin fold calipers, or you can buy a pair for cheap on Amazon. I find this to be the most effective and reliable method to test your body fat percentage. There is plenty of literature and videos on the web to learn how to measure yourself. I find this to be the most reliable method as well, because a lot of time people will not measure the correct or same areas on the body, that should be measured.
                          It's pretty hard to do this accurately on yourself (even doing it on someone else accurately requires a fair amount of training/practice) and those cheap calipers really don't compare to a good set of spring loaded ones.

Comment

Comment

Well that bit abut not eating sugar and carbs is probably good advice. I think I eat way too much sugar. Did I mention my ability to inhale a whole bag of those mini Halloween chocolate bars in two days? Yeah. I know.

And the booze thing too. Need to cut down on that. Although with winter ales coming out, and my love of dark winter beer, that might be easier said than done.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                                Well that bit abut not eating sugar and carbs is probably good advice. I think I eat way too much sugar. Did I mention my ability to inhale a whole bag of those mini Halloween chocolate bars in two days? Yeah. I know.

And the booze thing too. Need to cut down on that. Although with winter ales coming out, and my love of dark winter beer, that might be easier said than done.
                                Actually, don't think about foods as good/bad. This article has some great advice on how to approach/view food:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...-training.html

Comment

Working...
                                X