No announcement yet.

Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expect delays. My 3 kettlebells all shipped separately, but with one shipping notification from Rogue. One shipped immediately, one shipped after a brief delay, the third was in "awaiting receipt of item" mode until today (phew, it finally actually shipped). Don't trust the expected arrival dates until UPS actually has the item en-route.
    Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
      Same had a friend that had it. I know you pay a premium for the Bowflex marketing and name but I have gotten more value out of it then the treadmill it replaced. I prefer a stair climber. Wife likes elliptical ... so this fit the bill and it doesn't take up that much space.

This is my first time ordering from Rogue so there site is a little confusing for me. Apparently they broke down our order (rack, barbells, weight and bench) into 15 different orders. 2 have shipped. 12 are in prepared and 1 in process. Seems the one in process is the bench and my bar ... but heck I'll lift with my wife's women's pink bar. I just need to lift.

The 14/15 say March 31st delivery. But I only have tracking numbers of the 2 shipped but say they are 1 of 14. I am confused,
      My Rogue experiences are pretty similar

Comment

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
        Expect delays. My 3 kettlebells all shipped separately, but with one shipping notification from Rogue. One shipped immediately, one shipped after a brief delay, the third was in "awaiting receipt of item" mode until today (phew, it finally actually shipped). Don't trust the expected arrival dates until UPS actually has the item en-route.
        Thanks to you and [MENTION=20690]JohnR[/MENTION]. It did update. 4/1 and enroute for most of the stuff. But the cross members to install the rack and the weights

So I'll have 90% of the rack, my wife's bar, and not be able to install. Oh well. Hope it updates today.

Comment

• I've been lucky, I guess. With our gyms closing, the owner offered to loan out equipment in the interim, so I was able to take home enough equipment to still get more than just bodyweight workouts in. The gym owner is still writing programming daily, and posting videos demoing the movements too... so it's a slightly scaled version of being in the gym.

We did a Zoom workout on Saturday too... which was a bit strange, but may be the new normal for a while, unfortunately, if anyone wants to do "group" workouts.

We've also been creating small, 1 minute challenges and tossing them around on social media. First one was 15 burpees + 15 pushups in 1 min. or less. Second was 25 air squats playing an instrument in 1 min. (started by a music teacher). Then it was max effort burpees in 1 min.

Comment

• Originally posted by J2K66 View Post
            I've been lucky, I guess. With our gyms closing, the owner offered to loan out equipment in the interim, so I was able to take home enough equipment to still get more than just bodyweight workouts in. The gym owner is still writing programming daily, and posting videos demoing the movements too... so it's a slightly scaled version of being in the gym.

We did a Zoom workout on Saturday too... which was a bit strange, but may be the new normal for a while, unfortunately, if anyone wants to do "group" workouts.

We've also been creating small, 1 minute challenges and tossing them around on social media. First one was 15 burpees + 15 pushups in 1 min. or less. Second was 25 air squats playing an instrument in 1 min. (started by a music teacher). Then it was max effort burpees in 1 min.
            I'm assuming a CrossFit type gym? Are you still paying dues? That is a good approach by them to continue and build a good relationship with clients. I attend a Onelife, so there are so many members there is no way they could loan equipment. They did "freeze" everyone's account though, so not being billed.

Comment

I'm assuming a CrossFit type gym? Are you still paying dues? That is a good approach by them to continue and build a good relationship with clients. I attend a Onelife, so there are so many members there is no way they could loan equipment. They did "freeze" everyone's account though, so not being billed.
              Yes, it's a CrossFit box. Part of the deal with loaning equipment was to continue paying for membership, yes. It's a smaller community of, I'm guessing here, about 130-150 members. That's much more manageable than a larger gym for sure. Nobody wants to see them go completely out of business, so many members are doing all they can to help during these times. Many members have, or will, be losing their jobs in the near future too... so that will muddy the waters even further. I discounted CrossFit for many years, but stepped into this box about 15 months ago and have been there 4-6 days/week since.

Right now, am I getting full "value" from my membership? maybe not, but if we can help the owner and coaches stay in business, then it will be worth it when things settle back down. It helps that it's about 3 miles from my house, and 1.5 miles from the office too

Comment

• The CF gym I was at before I moved my workouts to home in December, is doing the same. It's really cool and I hope people are able to continue. Things are about to get pretty rough for folks and the unemployment check won't cover a CF membership, so I think it'll be nearly impossible for many of them and other gyms to stay afloat. Some will qualify for CARES help and might make it if this sequestering business is over soon. Most, though, are posting bodyweight WOD's on Instagram so everyone can still keep it going from home, if they're inclined. I'll still jump in on some of their challenges - 3 min max burpees and such - just to have fun and keep them engaged.

Comment

• 198.8 lbs this morning. Killing the quarantine game. Fingers crossed i can get some abs by May.

Comment

• 175lbs this morning. No complaints. Anything under 180 I'm happy with.

Comment

• Been doing a lot more cardio as I have my entire rack but the j-hooks to hold the bar ... ugh Rogue says still hasn't shipped. I think my weight is going down (pants test) but also I know it's got to be a lot of muscle lost during this time. That is very frustrating on me mentally. My 2020 goals are going to be very hard to tackle if this keeps up. One thing I think seeing a problem though is my drinking of a beer is almost every night now. There are so many virtual happy hours for my teams etc. I gotta get on top of that.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy (as possible).

Comment

• It's possible to maintain (even build) muscle without the weights, if it's the lack of the weight equipment that's holding you back. Obviously you can always do high-volume but you can also do body weight movements at tempo. You can range from slow tempo, like 5 or 6 seconds, all the way to super slo-mo; literally minutes for a single rep. If you've never done 2-minute squats, you're in for a treat! Constant movement, no pause, but you have to spend a full minute getting into a squat and then another full minute coming back up. OH MOMMY!!! Anyway, there are plenty of body weight moves you can do at tempo to maintain the muscle while you're waiting for the weights if you like. Push-ups, squats, lunges, pull-ups, l-sits, planks, etc... It's just time and tension - if you don't have the loading, increase the duration.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnR View Post
                          It's possible to maintain (even build) muscle without the weights, if it's the lack of the weight equipment that's holding you back. Obviously you can always do high-volume but you can also do body weight movements at tempo. You can range from slow tempo, like 5 or 6 seconds, all the way to super slo-mo; literally minutes for a single rep. If you've never done 2-minute squats, you're in for a treat! Constant movement, no pause, but you have to spend a full minute getting into a squat and then another full minute coming back up. OH MOMMY!!! Anyway, there are plenty of body weight moves you can do at tempo to maintain the muscle while you're waiting for the weights if you like. Push-ups, squats, lunges, pull-ups, l-sits, planks, etc... It's just time and tension - if you don't have the loading, increase the duration.
                          I think you're right to a certain degree. It depends a lot on where an individual was with weight training and their goals though whether that assumption works. Ultimately the muscle will need progressive overload to grow. That becomes harder and harder to achieve with reps of the same lighter weight ("joints" may fail before muscle) and time under tension. I've been doing a lot of high reps 40-30-20 with the dumbbells and TUT. Trying to break-up muscle groups, so I hit them more often in a week than the traditional split. I think it's worked in maintaining an aesthetic and some muscle gains, but not the muscle I had.

For example, and not to brag (if they are even brag numbers ... a lot of stronger people than I). I was at 365 squats, 265 bench, and 330-ish deadlift for reps. Given my genetics (aka out of shape non athletic family with heart disease issues), it took me a long time to get to those numbers and quality of workout. My guess is that once I am back under a bar it will take a month+ or so to get back to where I was. Hopefully the endurance work you mentioned will help me be able to speed that up. But you're right that equipment alone isn't a limiter for most ... it's just the style of training I always did, aspired to (watched a lot of Ronnie Coleman and Phil Heath) growing up. Problem is time isn't on my side but I do like the challenge once I get out of my own head

Comment

I think you're right to a certain degree. It depends a lot on where an individual was with weight training and their goals though whether that assumption works. Ultimately the muscle will need progressive overload to grow. That becomes harder and harder to achieve with reps of the same lighter weight ("joints" may fail before muscle) and time under tension. I've been doing a lot of high reps 40-30-20 with the dumbbells and TUT. Trying to break-up muscle groups, so I hit them more often in a week than the traditional split. I think it's worked in maintaining an aesthetic and some muscle gains, but not the muscle I had.

For example, and not to brag (if they are even brag numbers ... a lot of stronger people than I). I was at 365 squats, 265 bench, and 330-ish deadlift for reps. Given my genetics (aka out of shape non athletic family with heart disease issues), it took me a long time to get to those numbers and quality of workout. My guess is that once I am back under a bar it will take a month+ or so to get back to where I was. Hopefully the endurance work you mentioned will help me be able to speed that up. But you're right that equipment alone isn't a limiter for most ... it's just the style of training I always did, aspired to (watched a lot of Ronnie Coleman and Phil Heath) growing up. Problem is time isn't on my side but I do like the challenge once I get out of my own head
                            Yep. You make valid points. If you're targeting 365 squat and 265 press, tempo body weight work will only go so far. My 1RM bench is 215 but I'm only 160 and my goals are lean, not big, so I can easily forget that I'm seeing life only through my own lens and other folks have completely different goals. Good point!

I would say that it's still a decent substitute when weights aren't around, and can help to keep the cardio from catabolizing your past gains, if you push to the max. But I don't disagree that there will be some rebuilding required to get those numbers back after a certain amount of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnR View Post
                              Yep. You make valid points. If you're targeting 365 squat and 265 press, tempo body weight work will only go so far. My 1RM bench is 215 but I'm only 160 and my goals are lean, not big, so I can easily forget that I'm seeing life only through my own lens and other folks have completely different goals. Good point!

I would say that it's still a decent substitute when weights aren't around, and can help to keep the cardio from catabolizing your past gains, if you push to the max. But I don't disagree that there will be some rebuilding required to get those numbers back after a certain amount of time.
                              My 2020 goals were 400lbs squat, 300 bench, and 400 deadlifts. I've been so close before injuries, so the rebuilding process I've been through and is so tough mentally. When I broke my elbow I went down to benching 25lbs dumbbells sweating and cursing like sailor. But I appreciate your advice. I went and had the best bodyweight/light dumbbell workout during this quarantine. I appreciate the reality check.

Comment

Been doing a lot more cardio as I have my entire rack but the j-hooks to hold the bar ... ugh Rogue says still hasn't shipped. I think my weight is going down (pants test) but also I know it's got to be a lot of muscle lost during this time. That is very frustrating on me mentally. My 2020 goals are going to be very hard to tackle if this keeps up. One thing I think seeing a problem though is my drinking of a beer is almost every night now. There are so many virtual happy hours for my teams etc. I gotta get on top of that.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy (as possible).
                                I hear you on the virtual happy hour. I feel like my wife and I get together with her family more now over Zoom than pre quarantine, and we live two streets over... Maybe try a non alcoholic beer? The craft NA game is super strong these days. Joe has featured a few on the main site. Off hand, I can think of multiple breweries worth looking into, all of whom are able to ship to any state, given they aren't restricted by various alcohol shipping limitations. For full on NA breweries try: Athletic BrewingCo., Bravus (their Raspberry Gose is amazing,) Wellbeing Brewing, and Hairless Dog. For NA beers brewed by traditional breweries, try: Brooklyn Special Effects, BrewDog Punk NA, BrewDog Nanny State, BrewDog Stout AF.

One benefit of buying from the purely NA breweries, is that you're supporting what is almost certainly a small business.

Another benefit? They're great, low calorie social options, that will allow you to sleep better, feel better, and be better. At least, that's been my experience since I stopped drinking.
                                Last edited by Alex.C; April 10, 2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X