Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
    I don't know how y'all eat protein powder in oatmeal. It never tastes good and the texture is almost sawdust like.
    AGREED. I have tried it every which way and can't get it to taste good to me. Mixed with water/milk before adding to protein, adding while cooking, etc. It always messes with the texture and taste. Love them separately though.

I like seeing y'all's meal plans/ideas though. Mine tends to be similar:

Breakfast: Three eggs
    Snack: Fage 0% greek yogurt with frozen or fresh berries
    Lunch: Some kind of salad/bowl. This week it's broccoli, edamame, sweet potato, chicken, and yogurt/lime/cilantro sauce
    Snack: shake (chocolate protein powder & plain soy milk)
    Dinner: varies - chicken and farro this week
    Dessert/treat: spoonful of PB, cold IPA, etc.

Comment

Without the protein powder is when oatmeal tastes like crap for me. So i guess to each his own in that department!

Comment

Weighed in at 181lbs this morning. Was down to 176 after a run this weekend due to sweat. Crazy how much weight you can lose from sweat so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
          I don't know how y'all eat protein powder in oatmeal. It never tastes good and the texture is almost sawdust like.
          really depends on your powder and your mix. and to some extent, your oatmeal. I have had all kinds of results trying it

Comment

Has anyone here done a health dna test like:
            https://www.dnafit.com/us/ I’m trying to learn more about them and it seems an intriguing approach to figuring out what works best for you.

Comment

No, I tried to do one of those DNA tests that does both heritage and health risk factors (I want to say 23 and Me?) and they told me my samples could not be analyzed (probably I produce too much saliva so the DNA content is diluted).
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                No, I tried to do one of those DNA tests that does both heritage and health risk factors (I want to say 23 and Me?) and they told me my samples could not be analyzed (probably I produce too much saliva so the DNA content is diluted).
                Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. Did you get your money back since they couldn’t detect?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                  Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. Did you get your money back since they couldn’t detect?
                  After taking my second sample and deciding they could not analyze it either, they refunded me but also made me sign a thing stating I would never attempt to use their service again. The implication that I was somehow wasting their time and resources by trying to get the DNA analysis I’d paid for was fairly offensive and left a bad taste in my mouth.
                  Ben

Comment

Has anyone here done a health dna test like:
                    https://www.dnafit.com/us/ I’m trying to learn more about them and it seems an intriguing approach to figuring out what works best for you.
                    Negative. After seeing/reading how all of those companies are just handing DNA over to the police and other 'big data' type agencies, I'll keep my DNA to myself thank you.

Comment

So I was 179lbs this morning which is quite low for me but I have been sick this week. Haven't figured out the cause yet.

As for DNA kits, they are germline tests so anything not related to a germline mutation will not show up. These tests will not help detect most cancers, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, alzheimer's (helpful if gives APOE status), and will not really help with nutrition and exercise either. If you need help with that last part, send me $50 and your food tracker for the last 30 days and I will tell you where you are going wrong.

Comment

After two weeks of holidays where there was a lot of food and beer consumed, and not a lot in the way of exercise, I'm up to 174.6lbs. Not impressed. I need to get back in to fitness routine and start working out again. Hopefully I can lose the 5lbs that I gained over the last two weeks.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure how helpful a DNA test could really be in terms of helping you to make lifestyle changes to improve your fitness.

If you are struggling with your weight or your fitness, odds are preeeetty good that it's not because there's some magical genetic quirk you are failing to exploit. You probably know what you need to do - eat more whole foods, eat more vegetables, eat more lean proteins, eat less processed food, eat less sugar/simple carbs, drink less alcohol, eat slightly less overall (if you're trying to lose weight), eat slightly more overall (if you're trying to gain lean mass), get more sleep, spend more time moving around. It's not that people don't know what they should do, it's more that it can be really difficult to implement these lifestyle changes. Especially given the limitations most people have on their time and energy and the fact that it's just a lot more time-efficient, convenient, and instantly gratifying to eat crappy processed foods and be sedentary than to plan, prepare, and eat healthy nourishing foods and be physically active.
                          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                            Yeah I'm not sure how helpful a DNA test could really be in terms of helping you to make lifestyle changes to improve your fitness.

If you are struggling with your weight or your fitness, odds are preeeetty good that it's not because there's some magical genetic quirk you are failing to exploit. You probably know what you need to do - eat more whole foods, eat more vegetables, eat more lean proteins, eat less processed food, eat less sugar/simple carbs, drink less alcohol, eat slightly less overall (if you're trying to lose weight), eat slightly more overall (if you're trying to gain lean mass), get more sleep, spend more time moving around. It's not that people don't know what they should do, it's more that it can be really difficult to implement these lifestyle changes. Especially given the limitations most people have on their time and energy and the fact that it's just a lot more time-efficient, convenient, and instantly gratifying to eat crappy processed foods and be sedentary than to plan, prepare, and eat healthy nourishing foods and be physically active.
                            Not trying to sound like a dick, so my apologies if it comes off that way. I am not struggling. I am looking to refine myself from not just a fitness standpoint but a health standpoint. As you probably know most bodybuildiers, IG celebrities, etc. that look good aren't actually healthy. There is a difference. For example, putting one through a bodybuilding competition is extremely unhealthy but for aesthetics. It's basically saying I do 90-95% of things right but is there something out there to get me to 96% or greater?

This isn't to make huge lifestyle changes but to further refine those that eat healthy but want to also look at how their body processes even healthy foods. From what I've started reading (and am no means a knowledge expert so please correct if wrong) these fitness type DNA tests can even show when your body process foods better. What your recovery rate is compared to average etc, certain foods that will work better towards your goals, if there are certain even unprocessed foods you have trouble with, digesting etc.

I lift 6-7x a week, play hockey 1-2x a week, eat pretty clean except when I choose not to but I have a history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart issues that are genetic. Anything I can further do to biohack (thanks Kris Gethin for that term) to get the most I am open to learning about. And that's why I was intrigued by the potential of these tests but wanted to learn more.

Comment

This isn't to make huge lifestyle changes but to further refine those that eat healthy but want to also look at how their body processes even healthy foods. From what I've started reading (and am no means a knowledge expert so please correct if wrong)
                              I've been reading and researching a lot myself these days. Wired to Eat by Robb Wolf is a great book that really opened my eyes to food and how my body reacts. Now, there is some BS in the book, but definitely has helped me. A lot of times we say, "that meal just didn't agree with me," when in fact, it could be so much more than this

Joe Rogan had a few good guests in his podcast that are worth a listen: Robb Wolf, Rhonda Patrick, and Layne Norton.
                              We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by APinNC View Post
                                I've been reading and researching a lot myself these days. Wired to Eat by Robb Wolf is a great book that really opened my eyes to food and how my body reacts. Now, there is some BS in the book, but definitely has helped me. A lot of times we say, "that meal just didn't agree with me," when in fact, it could be so much more than this

Joe Rogan had a few good guests in his podcast that are worth a listen: Robb Wolf, Rhonda Patrick, and Layne Norton.
                                Thanks for the Rogan interviews. I heard him roughly mention it in another interview but I’ll listen to those other ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X