Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    It turns out that cutting back on the all-too-available candy at the office can have a huge positive impact. Broke the 200 lb mark last Friday morning, was 198 on the screws this morning.

    Comment


      177.6lbs after hitting the gym this morning. I'll take it.

      Comment


        Originally posted by DocDave View Post
        177.6lbs after hitting the gym this morning. I'll take it.

        Damn DocDave, 7 lbs in a week? Impressive!

        Comment


          Originally posted by calexako View Post
          Damn DocDave, 7 lbs in a week? Impressive!
          Agreed. You have given me motivation to get back at it.

          Heading to the gym today.

          Comment


            For the next month, I am about to switch to over ~60g of carbs on off-days, and ~200g on workout days. Will add 20 minutes of conditioning to the end of each workout, 10 minutes on off-days (probably just burpees or hill sprints), and weighted vest walks every morning. I'll be completely burnt out after about 4 weeks, but should be about 20 lbs lighter. Will cut back on the off-day conditioning after that, but still keep the weighted vest walks each day.

            I waited a bit too late to start leaning out for summer, so I need to slim down ASAP. I'm 245 right now, ~20%BF. Not fat at 6'2", but 225 suits me better.
            We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

            Comment


              My inlaws living in town have hit my waist line. While they are helpful with the kids, they are an issue for my health. Wine is always flowing and the sweets are always around. Add to that, when they cook, everything seems coated in butter.

              I haven't weighed myself for this reason. They are leaving for a couple months so I should be able to drop some weight for vacation soon.

              Comment


                201.5 lbs today. Will need to get my measurements soon, to see progression. I can feel muscle building though,which is very positive.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                  My inlaws living in town have hit my waist line. While they are helpful with the kids, they are an issue for my health. Wine is always flowing and the sweets are always around. Add to that, when they cook, everything seems coated in butter.

                  I haven't weighed myself for this reason. They are leaving for a couple months so I should be able to drop some weight for vacation soon.
                  My mom comes to town a couple of times each month to see the kids, and ALWAYS brings a huge batch red velvet whoopie pies and cherry cobbler bites. I am not a sweets guy at all, but I find myself doing a grab-n-go each time I walk past this. My gut is so inflamed every time she leaves. I have to trash whatever is left the minute she leaves
                  We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

                  Comment


                    177 lbs this morning. I'll take that. Only a hard seven lbs to go to my goal.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      177 lbs this morning. I'll take that. Only a hard seven lbs to go to my goal.
                      Are you buying new pants as you go or just cinching up the belt? I've lost about 6-7 lbs (pretty much around my stomach) since I quit drinking in March, and I'm SWIMMING in my dress trousers and chinos. I'm glad to have realized booze was becoming an issue before any serious damage was done in my life, but I'm not looking forward to buying a whole new wardrobe, and worse, I'm not sure if I should start buying now or stabilize for several months before I make any purchases.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
                        Are you buying new pants as you go or just cinching up the belt? I've lost about 6-7 lbs (pretty much around my stomach) since I quit drinking in March, and I'm SWIMMING in my dress trousers and chinos. I'm glad to have realized booze was becoming an issue before any serious damage was done in my life, but I'm not looking forward to buying a whole new wardrobe, and worse, I'm not sure if I should start buying now or stabilize for several months before I make any purchases.
                        For me, I had to resort to buying intermediate clothes for myself. Old navy chinos and jeans saved my butt.

                        Comment


                          Overdue for a check-in here. I was reluctant to step on the scale as the last few weeks have been marked by travel, graduation festivities, weddings, and some solid stress eating. My gym also shut down for a week so I missed a bunch of workouts. But somehow, I came in at 173.5 this morning -- exactly what I was at the end of my last hard week of training. I am pretty pleased that after all that, I may still end the week at my lowest overall weight.

                          HOWEVER, I am coming up on what I'm sure will be a rough patch: a cross-country move, new job, new city in the next month. A lot of personal, emotional, and financial stress. I also have to find (and afford) a new gym. Binge-eating is my go-to response to these sorts of stressors, so this is going to be quite a challenge. I'm going to try to hit diet and exercise really hard until I leave, but what other tips do y'all have?

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
                            Are you buying new pants as you go or just cinching up the belt? I've lost about 6-7 lbs (pretty much around my stomach) since I quit drinking in March, and I'm SWIMMING in my dress trousers and chinos. I'm glad to have realized booze was becoming an issue before any serious damage was done in my life, but I'm not looking forward to buying a whole new wardrobe, and worse, I'm not sure if I should start buying now or stabilize for several months before I make any purchases.
                            I am cinching up my pants AND IT LOOKS TERRIBLE!!! I'm suffering through with the cinched up pants for now. I am worried that once winter sets in my weight will go back up. So for now, I'm suffering in silence. Although my wife is not suffering in silence because I keep saying to her each time I get dressed "none of my pants fit anymore!!"

                            Congrats on quitting drinking. I drastically cut back on my beer intake and a) I feel a hell of a lot better about myself, b) I lost weight and c) I saved a bit of money to spend on other things.

                            The no beer/booze thing is interesting. I sort of lost the urge to drink now. In the past I'd finish a workout and want to have a beer to relax and celebrate. Now I just think of all the additional calories I'm packing on after working so hard to get rid of them.

                            Comment


                              [MENTION=11517]elpenguinoloco[/MENTION] - Don't keep junk food around your home would help. I realize I cannot be left in a house with chips otherwise we find each other like teenagers whose parents don't want to be together. As for when you will likely be eating out, make yourself eat better by saying, 1 out of 3 meals should be a salad or something like that or say, I will eat better this week and will give myself a treat 5 days out. You have to mentally trick yourself.
                              [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] - I don't know your end goal but you could always tailor the waist smaller though the couple times I did this, pocket placement seemed off.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                                I am cinching up my pants AND IT LOOKS TERRIBLE!!! I'm suffering through with the cinched up pants for now. I am worried that once winter sets in my weight will go back up. So for now, I'm suffering in silence. Although my wife is not suffering in silence because I keep saying to her each time I get dressed "none of my pants fit anymore!!"

                                Congrats on quitting drinking. I drastically cut back on my beer intake and a) I feel a hell of a lot better about myself, b) I lost weight and c) I saved a bit of money to spend on other things.

                                The no beer/booze thing is interesting. I sort of lost the urge to drink now. In the past I'd finish a workout and want to have a beer to relax and celebrate. Now I just think of all the additional calories I'm packing on after working so hard to get rid of them.
                                Thanks!
                                I hear you on the cinching. I keep pushing the cinched part behind my jacket, and it's better but not great.

                                As far as alcohol goes, it was a years long slow burn of "Ok, tonight I'm not going to drink more than this" and then increasingly finding that I wasn't working within those parameters. Then add in a very stressful 2017 and 2018 (losing loved ones, remodeling a new home, etc.) and anyone can develop an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. I was really helped by Joe's recommendation on The Alcohol Experiment (which is excellent, not just for alcohol use, but for overall better mindfulness) and a few emails he and I exchanged over the last few months. Like many things, the more you don't do something, the easier it is not to do that thing. This works both positively and negatively. Plus, amazingly there are now multiple craft NA brews available that are pretty good, so it's been a net positive (BP is down from 150/95 to 118/77, resting heart rate went from 80ish to 65, more money in the bank and dramatically better sleep, along with my wife finding me funnier.)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X