No announcement yet.

Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any fully equipped gym should have bumper plates and a lifting platform as an option... it shouldn't need to be exorbitantly expensive. Even if you're not literally dropping the weights, it's a good idea to do deadlifts with bumper plates because when you are lifting weights at the upper limits of your abilities (sets of single, double, or triple reps), it's going to be hard for you to prevent the weights from hitting the floor with a fair bit of force even if you actively controlling the eccentric portion of the lift. Regular steel plates are just not designed to absorb that kind of force. And they are loud AF when they do hit stuff, which will be annoying AF to your fellow gym-goers. I wear earplugs at the gym just because of a-holes who slam steel plates for no good goddamn reason. Bumper plates hitting the ground is loud but not eardrum-shatteringly-sharp-loud.

For anyone who does want to take up heavy barbell work - which seems to be the best proven way to build or maintain lean mass - I would definitely recommend doing your homework or getting some basic training to learn the correct form on the major lifts. Try to focus on doing the major lifts "as prescribed" with good form and keep alternate versions - versions that don't work the full range of motion or utilize both the concentric and eccentric contraction of your muscles - as accessory lifts, not as your main focus of training. Dropping deadlifts is ok for some purposes but if that's the only kind of deadlift you do you are missing out on half the training stimulus, i.e. the eccentric contraction of using your muscles to lower the bar.
    Ben

Comment

I agree 100% with everything you said.

By exorbitant i really just meant if he’s relatively satisfied with his current gym but cant do that one particular exercise it’s probsbly not worth joining a new place that is $20+ a month more just to be able to do it. Unless he’s not satisfied currently and a new location provides this lift plus additional benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
        Checked my weight this morning and was sitting at 184.5lbs. I have felt like I have gained a bunch but maybe it is muscle?

Also, does anyone have any tips for finding a gym that lets you drop weights? I don't want/have space for a home gym but want to lift heavier thins. Part of this is a training plan that involves deadlifts but dropping the weight instead of controlled lowering. The theory, and trainer of some top marathon folks, say that dropping the weight instead of lowering it will help with speed. In my 30s I am caring more about running and maintaining muscle but once the big-4-0 happens I will want to retain as much as possible since you start losing it at a rate of 1-2% per year.
        Curious what's the theory behind that. Do you have a link? I'd be intrigued to read it.

I'd argue that there is really no reason for 99% of gym goers to drop weights. Most do because it looks cool, they cannot control the weight, adn/or doing weight out of a proper range. To clarify there is a difference between dropping and touching weight which can still be loud on deadlifts.

There are a couple of other options if clanging weights is a problem in your gym. 1. Find another gym. Any gym that has strict policies against any sort of clanging etc. obviously is more about gym atmosphere (Planet Fitness) then health.

2. They sell bumpers you can add to metal plates. https://hexbumper.com or you can bring some mats to "drop" the weights on.

And if you do drop your weight make sure to let out a WOOOOOOO after so it attracts the ladies haha jk

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
          And if you do drop your weight make sure to let out a WOOOOOOO after so it attracts the ladies haha jk
          Lots of loud grunting, bicep curlz, no deodorant, and stringer tanks. Ladies love that.
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            Lots of loud grunting, bicep curlz, no deodorant, and stringer tanks. Ladies love that.
            haha reminds me of my favorite gym moment at my old Gold's. This one guy mid-40s was always trying to get someone to notice his workouts. His latest was 65 lbs db single arm curls (aka throwing his whole back into it and struggling to get it up ... that's what she said). Well he kept doing it around a group of ladies. But the only ones interested were dudes that were curious if this guy could actually curl (he couldn't) 65lb dumbbells. His last set he let out a large grunt/woo that sent the ladies flying from that area.

Comment

Haha that’s great. I talked my girlfriend into doing DB press last weekend, our gym has a seperate room with most of the free weights so she prefers to stay out of it due to meatheads. Of course there has to be a guy on the incline bench next to us grunting on every rep with 55lb DBs in each hand. I could only shake my head and try to tell her it’s not usually so annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                Curious what's the theory behind that. Do you have a link? I'd be intrigued to read it.

I'd argue that there is really no reason for 99% of gym goers to drop weights. Most do because it looks cool, they cannot control the weight, adn/or doing weight out of a proper range. To clarify there is a difference between dropping and touching weight which can still be loud on deadlifts.

There are a couple of other options if clanging weights is a problem in your gym. 1. Find another gym. Any gym that has strict policies against any sort of clanging etc. obviously is more about gym atmosphere (Planet Fitness) then health.

2. They sell bumpers you can add to metal plates. https://hexbumper.com or you can bring some mats to "drop" the weights on.

It was based on research from Matt Flaherty. I realize I am opening myself up to all sorts of criticism but my goal is running and speed. Actually, that is more of a short term goal, my long term goal is being able to live on my own when I am 100 and what does living on your own at 100 look like? Probably carrying something 20-30lbs, being able to climb stairs, not relying on someone else to use the bathroom or other basic tasks.

This probably won't happen as I don't care to go to the gym often enough.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                  For anyone who does want to take up heavy barbell work - which seems to be the best proven way to build or maintain lean mass - I would definitely recommend doing your homework or getting some basic training to learn the correct form on the major lifts.
                  Anyone have recommendations regarding how to go about this? I have consulted a variety of the better youtube videos and read through chunks of guides from Stronger by Science, and I try to look closely in the mirror, but I have remained concerned about form, especially squats and deadlifts, as I continue in my lifting program. This was borne out a couple weeks ago when I tweaked my lower back and was REALLY sore for about a week, even though I thought I had been doing everything right. I went back down in weight (not that it was up that high to begin with) and focused more on form and have been fine my last few workouts. I know there is a formcheck subreddit but getting a solid recording from a good angle by yourself is tough.

Comment

So getting us back on track here...(I think there's a weight lifting thread somewhere around here....)

180.4 lbs this morning.

Not happy about gaining two points and taking me above the 180lbs mark. I'm blaming the two beers I had on the weekend. Either that or the chocolate muffin.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      So getting us back on track here...(I think there's a weight lifting thread somewhere around here....)

180.4 lbs this morning.

Not happy about gaining two points and taking me above the 180lbs mark. I'm blaming the two beers I had on the weekend. Either that or the chocolate muffin.
                      Chocolate muffins and beer are both required parts of life so don't feel so badly. This week is another chance to get below 180!

Comment

2 weeks in and I am down to 170.6 lbs. this morning. Weekly loss of 1.4 lbs. I would have lost more but I blame in on Doc Dave's beer and chocolate muffin which spilled into this post, lol..

Actually it is late night snacking that derails my weight loss plans. A lack of willpower plain and simple. I'll do better this week.

On a positive note, I did make it to the gym 3 times this week.

Comment

Weight as of this morning 178.6! I'll take that.

My goal is to hit 170 this summer. We'll see how that goes.

[MENTION=19117]Ron[/MENTION] congrats on hitting the gym!

Comment

My downfall is buying chips. I eat a whole bag in like a day or two so I don't buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                              Weight as of this morning 178.6! I'll take that.

My goal is to hit 170 this summer. We'll see how that goes.

[MENTION=19117]Ron[/MENTION] congrats on hitting the gym!
                              That's less then 1 lb. a week. You can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                                My downfall is buying chips. I eat a whole bag in like a day or two so I don't buy them.
                                Same here. The old commercial was right. I can't eat just one.

When I do get them for myself I buy the baked ones and try to select the brands/flavors that aren't crazy with the sodium.

Comment

Working...
                                X