Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
    It's been a while since I checked in. Not surprising to me, I put on a few pounds over the holidays and it's taken me until now to get back to where I was before Thanksgiving and maintain it there. But I've been under 194 all week and most of last week as well, so I think I've stabilized.

193.4 this morning and I'd love to hit my goal of 185 by summer.

But--I also want to start doing some weight lifting again, which has been a few years. So, who knows, I might bump up my goal to 190. Jeez--I looked pretty good 20 years ago when I weighed 200 and lifted weights. Of course, my chest was two inches bigger around and my waist was two inches narrower.

Now I'm conflicted. I purchased two Brooks Brothers suits in 42 long this last year. And I love them. They might not fit anymore if I add some muscle.

Anyways--some of you seem to have been doing well, so congratulations on that!
    Just a good excuse to get some new clothes

Fortunately the shoes will still fit.

Comment

Thanks all!

Originally posted by Ron View Post
      Losing weight is simple but not easy!
      I've not heard this before, but I really like it. Seems like progress MUST come with some diet/exercise backslides -- I have certainly had my share.

Comment

Weight this morning is 180.4 I'll take it after a weekend of chocolate chip cookies, the odd beer, and lots of garlic bread.

Comment

Down 25 lbs, from 247 to 222. Flu last week might have helped a bit. I’m liking the way shirts fit better now. Pants starting to fit worse, i.e. starting to look a little frumpy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been a bit of an up-and-down, but I'm south of 202 right now and am trending in the right direction. Aiming to be sub-200 in a couple of weeks, just in time for my birthday. Hoping that a trip to Canada next week won't completely derail me through poutine and beer.

Comment

We do have some awesome craft beer [MENTION=15633]Weathered[/MENTION]...

Comment

Finished a Whole30 yesterday, very excited to drink again haha. It went surprisingly easier than I expected and I ended up losing 16lbs, so I am at 200.0 now. Very happy with it. May even lose a few more lbs during the 10 day reintroduction period.

Comment

A week in and I'm down to 172.0 for a 2.8 lb weight loss the first week. I realize it is mostly water weight but hey, I'll take it.

Hit the gym only two times this week instead of three but did get in a nice hike through the woods.

It's a start.

Comment

Checked my weight this morning and was sitting at 184.5lbs. I have felt like I have gained a bunch but maybe it is muscle?

Also, does anyone have any tips for finding a gym that lets you drop weights? I don't want/have space for a home gym but want to lift heavier thins. Part of this is a training plan that involves deadlifts but dropping the weight instead of controlled lowering. The theory, and trainer of some top marathon folks, say that dropping the weight instead of lowering it will help with speed. In my 30s I am caring more about running and maintaining muscle but once the big-4-0 happens I will want to retain as much as possible since you start losing it at a rate of 1-2% per year.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                      Checked my weight this morning and was sitting at 184.5lbs. I have felt like I have gained a bunch but maybe it is muscle?

Also, does anyone have any tips for finding a gym that lets you drop weights? I don't want/have space for a home gym but want to lift heavier thins. Part of this is a training plan that involves deadlifts but dropping the weight instead of controlled lowering. The theory, and trainer of some top marathon folks, say that dropping the weight instead of lowering it will help with speed. In my 30s I am caring more about running and maintaining muscle but once the big-4-0 happens I will want to retain as much as possible since you start losing it at a rate of 1-2% per year.
                      I've been to a lot of gyms over the last 30 years and I can't recall one ever letting people drop weights. I think you can do that at muscle bench in Venice. But you're on the wrong coast.

It sounds like it could be dangerous.
                      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                        I've been to a lot of gyms over the last 30 years and I can't recall one ever letting people drop weights. I think you can do that at muscle bench in Venice. But you're on the wrong coast.

It sounds like it could be dangerous.
                        Thinking of walking into a crossfit gym and asking. I just want to do some basic stuff and not their workouts. Hell I will buy my own bar if I have to and they can keep it and use it.

Comment

Dropping weights isn’t bad or dangerous - IF you are doing lifts that justify it (Oly lifts, sometimes deadlifts), IF your gym has an appropriate lifting platform, and IF they have rubber bumper plates that are designed to be dropped. You DON’T want to be dropping anything that’s not specifically designed to be dropped (eg steel plates).

Really any standard gym with a decent weightlifting area should have at least one weightlifting platform and a set of rubber bumper plates for this purpose. I go to a very standard, slightly high end “fitness club” type gym (eg they have their own spa and sell weird overpriced smoothies) and they have several weightlifting platforms and two different sets of rubber bumper plates in different areas of the gym.

You should be able to just call different gyms in your area and ask about it, and most will give you a tour before you have to sign up. You can also look at specific barbell clubs/gyms if you know you are primarily interested in lifting heavy and may even want specific coaching in that area. Most modern barbell gyms are not what you would picture when you’re thinking Arnold era, Pumping Iron, Venice Beach Gold’s Gym type stuff. A barbell specific gym will usually be more spartan in appearance but a good one will still feel friendly and approachable even to lifting newbies.

CrossFit gym could be an ok option depending on the gym - some have open gym time where you can do your own thing, many will not and will expect you to do their assigned classes for the day. But it doesn’t hurt to ask, and some CrossFit coaches are also qualified to train you in weightlifting (the owner at my CrossFit gym is a nationally and internationally competitive masters Oly lifter).
                          Last edited by LesserBlackDog; March 28, 2019, 09:50 AM.
                          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                            Thinking of walking into a crossfit gym and asking. I just want to do some basic stuff and not their workouts. Hell I will buy my own bar if I have to and they can keep it and use it.
                            You probably know that there are some areas of the country where personal trainers go in together to start private gyms that are only for use by their clients. You might have some luck at one of those places.
                            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

178.6 lbs this morning.

Weight is definitely moving in the right direction!

Comment

I would respectfully add that while checking around to see if there’s an easy solution to the weight dropping issue is a good and worthwhile thing to do, I would think paying anything exorbitant for just dropping some deadlifts instead of placing them down is not the best idea. Unless this running and speed is useful in some kind of competition I just can’t imagine it’s going to give you much more of a benefit as a casual athlete.

Comment

Working...
                                X