No announcement yet.

Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoo boy, I've been very absent from this of late. Was preparing for a move into my girlfriend's house, and the Sunday before I moved in she slipped and broke her ankle. It's a month later and I'm just getting back to having some regularity in workouts and diet, but I haven't been stepping on a scale at all. Target will be Monday morning, knowing I'll be carrying weekend weight. Gotta start somewhere I guess.

Comment

Last weekend, the wife and I gained 25lbs! 6 months old rescue mutt, Mario!

Big bro Toby showing Mario proper form in the gym.

But anyways, weight has been staying the same, but getting stronger.

Comment

Does anyone do more of a mirror test of how you look vs. a scale? For instance, my weight has been level for a few weeks but a shirtless pass by the mirror today did not help my confidence.
        [MENTION=16026]Nandyn[/MENTION] - 2 nice looking dogs there. Dog expenses seem to grow at an exponential scale as 1 dog was easy enough for us but 2 seem really expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
          Does anyone do more of a mirror test of how you look vs. a scale? For instance, my weight has been level for a few weeks but a shirtless pass by the mirror today did not help my confidence.
          [MENTION=16026]Nandyn[/MENTION] - 2 nice looking dogs there. Dog expenses seem to grow at an exponential scale as 1 dog was easy enough for us but 2 seem really expensive.
          Thanks! Taking vacations definitely become more expensive due to the boarding fees, but we're DINKs who definitely don't ever want kids so no future college tuition or whatever to save for.

Comment

*Dinkwads

Dual income no kids with a dog

(Now two dogs!)
            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              *Dinkwads

Dual income no kids with a dog

(Now two dogs!)
              That's right!! I forgot the WADs part!! So with two, it's Dual Income No Kids With Awesome Dogs!

Comment

Fell off the wagon this week. With the wife traveling and help from the inlaws to watch the kids, you would think I would have a lot of time to run. Due to travel to see the kids and other hiccups, my working out has been minimal and I have ate pretty good with my MIL cooking.

I will hate to step on the scale in the morning.

How is everyone else doing? Still keeping good through the Holidays?

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                  Fell off the wagon this week. With the wife traveling and help from the inlaws to watch the kids, you would think I would have a lot of time to run. Due to travel to see the kids and other hiccups, my working out has been minimal and I have ate pretty good with my MIL cooking.

I will hate to step on the scale in the morning.

How is everyone else doing? Still keeping good through the Holidays?
                  I have been holding pretty steady since thanksgiving--not losing, but not gaining. At about 195, 10 pounds away from my goal.

Considering that I billed 70 hours last week and have not had a day off in two or three weeks, and it's the holidays, I consider this a victory.
                  WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I've been holding steady too. I'm at 190 give or take a couple of pounds.

I don't foresee my weight changing anytime soon. What with the holidays being here and all.

Comment

Gained a few pounds over the Christmas Holiday. I think it was just too many sweets and self control. Ditched the sweets and anything bad in the fridge and should be on the right path...it will just take a few weeks to lose it.

Comment

Tomorrow I start taking this shit seriously.

Comment

Today was demoralizing. I worked out 7 of 7 days over my Christmas holiday, tried to manage my calorie intake (but obviously failed in to no small degree), and weighed in +6 lbs this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Weathered View Post
                            Today was demoralizing. I worked out 7 of 7 days over my Christmas holiday, tried to manage my calorie intake (but obviously failed in to no small degree), and weighed in +6 lbs this morning.
                            A week of indulgent over-eating is not going to make or break your long-term success. Keep your good exercise habits and keep moving forward with healthy eating and you will be back on track toward your goals in no time.
                            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Weathered View Post
                              Don't take an arbitrary measure like a scale as an indicator of success or failure. Some other things to consider:
                              - How did you feel?
                              - Did you track your calories? If so, did you have enough energy, at what times were you eating etc.? Did you notice any "hidden" calories you missed?
                              - How much water were you taking in?
                              - Were you sleeping enough?

For perspective ... even if killing it ... the normal (assuming you keep a healthy amount of water) weight loss is 1-2lbs a week.

Don't let it ground you. Try to now tweak to see if an abnormal week or a pattern that needs a correction.

Comment

Since this thread started I've made some significant tweaks to my fitness habits. Previously I was doing crossfit workouts 4-6 times per week. I've kind of burned out on crossfit after doing it for a year and a half and decided to shake things up by cutting back significantly on crossfit and instead starting to focus more seriously on powerlifting. I've just wrapping up my second four-week Wendler cycle and so far I am really happy with the results in terms of strength gains (most significantly, adding 15 lbs to my squat 1RM - and that was after just the first cycle - I probably won't retest for another couple months).

I knew that December would be a calorie surplus month for me so I decided to just take it in stride and keep my protein/fiber intake high, and yep, I've gone from 154ish to a little over 160ish. But I have definitely added some mass to my chest and shoulders - my jackets and shirts are fitting tighter in the neck/shoulders/chest and I've maintained the same trouser size. And I still have some upper ab definition, which I've never had at anywhere near this weight before.

I'm cleaning up my diet again for this third Wendler cycle, hoping to cut 15ish pounds and show some definition by March.

TBH though, focusing on powerlifting has been fun as it creates a more fun, positive goal of increasing my lifts versus just trying to cut fat or achieve a certain body composition.
                                Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X