No announcement yet.

Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] ... how soon after your workout are you having your beer? That may be what's sinking your diet. Outside of a couple of studies, I think trying to be cool, having alcohol after a workout is basically sinking your gains.

With that kind of cardio, if really pushing yourself you should be seeing some changes (not necessarily in weight but at least in inches). I think you can significantly take down your cardio by implementing more HIIT type activities and really pushing yourself.

My guess is there is a lot of other hidden calories in there that many of us don't process until you track. Try tracking for two weeks and see if you aren't taking in a lot more than maybe you think. I like MyFitnessPal for ease of use.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
      Exercise. Hmm. I'm counting the following as part of my exercise regime. All distances are approximates. 9k of swimming a week. 40k of running a week. 2.5hrs spin class a week. Plus weight three days a week.

But you guys are right. The sugar/chocolate is killing me! The one beer might not be that bad, but included in that are Christmas sweets and lunches and desert, etc. I need to work on the calories/calories out bit. Definitely not winning that equation.

[MENTION=13934]hockeysc23[/MENTION] good point/tip about changing up some variables. I tend to follow the same regiment the whole time. Workout. Beer after workout. Some junk food. Dinner. Bed. Repeat. Maybe stopping to have a beer after each workout might help.
      Some junk food? What? How much? This can make a huge difference. For example, some of us from work go to lunch at Island once every week or two (it's across the street). You can get a Big Wave burger and fries for about a total of 1,200 calories or you can get a turkey burger and steamed vegetables. If you don't eat half the bun, you're getting out for about 500 calories. Do that five times and you're a pound difference one way or the other.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

500 cals for half a bun? That seems a bit excessive.

Comment

Originally posted by calexako View Post
          500 cals for half a bun? That seems a bit excessive.
          I believe that includes the turkey substitution and steamed vegetables. Aka you could have a 1200 calorie meal or with the right options eating half the bun with the subs for 500

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
            I believe that includes the turkey substitution and steamed vegetables. Aka you could have a 1200 calorie meal or with the right options eating half the bun with the subs for 500
            That clarifies it. That is certainly plausible.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
              That's a decent bit of working out...you are going to have to watch calories my friend.
              Yes. No argument there. Sugar is my drug of choice! I definitely need to cut back on the amount of sweets I'm eating. Which around this time of year is very hard for me to do. I think the secret will be in using My Fitness Pal to start getting a visual on how many calories I'm consuming in a day.

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] ... how soon after your workout are you having your beer? That may be what's sinking your diet. Outside of a couple of studies, I think trying to be cool, having alcohol after a workout is basically sinking your gains.

With that kind of cardio, if really pushing yourself you should be seeing some changes (not necessarily in weight but at least in inches). I think you can significantly take down your cardio by implementing more HIIT type activities and really pushing yourself.

My guess is there is a lot of other hidden calories in there that many of us don't process until you track. Try tracking for two weeks and see if you aren't taking in a lot more than maybe you think. I like MyFitnessPal for ease of use.
              The pint usually comes in ~15 minutes after the workout. You know, time to grab a shower, etc. I really feel that the beer and the sweets are sinking me. Aside from those two I generally eat well. I see the New Year coming up, so I'm going to get on the wagon and aggressively work to limit the calories I'm taking in. Based on the around of exercise, that will HOPEFULLY help.

And you right about the cardio intensity. The spin classes are at a high level, but the running tends to be at a much more relaxed pace. Generally we chat as we run, so you know we're not exerting ourselves to the point of exhaustion.

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
              Some junk food? What? How much? This can make a huge difference. For example, some of us from work go to lunch at Island once every week or two (it's across the street). You can get a Big Wave burger and fries for about a total of 1,200 calories or you can get a turkey burger and steamed vegetables. If you don't eat half the bun, you're getting out for about 500 calories. Do that five times and you're a pound difference one way or the other.
              Yeah, that's about it. I'm a burger and fries guy. I love it. I easily eat a hamburger a week. And of course on weekends there is football, which mean chips. But during the week my wife cooks us good dinners. It's the snacking in between that is the problem. And cheese. I LOVE cheese. I think if I could just cut out the snacking, and the sugar, I might start to see some gains. And, well, cut out the weekly hamburger too. Not to mention the fries.

Comment

I’d say your time consumption from workout to alcohol is way to close. Alcohol slows down muscle building/repairing and your metabolism. That 30 min window is roughly the prime time your body needs the nutrients to grow etc. that’s the time for a protein shake and good carbs. Skim chcolate milk is one of the better options if not a protein shake person. Try saving that beer for later and then not after every workout.

If it’s a moderate beer you’re prob in 300 calorie range. 5x a week is 1,500 calories and roughly 1/2 lbs right there.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  Yeah, that's about it. I'm a burger and fries guy. I love it. I easily eat a hamburger a week. And of course on weekends there is football, which mean chips. But during the week my wife cooks us good dinners. It's the snacking in between that is the problem. And cheese. I LOVE cheese. I think if I could just cut out the snacking, and the sugar, I might start to see some gains. And, well, cut out the weekly hamburger too. Not to mention the fries.
                  Have you explored lower-calorie alternatives to some of this stuff? Chips and weekend eating can sink your whole week.

I was dealing with this for a couple of years in that I would drop a pound or two during the week, and then gorge myself on the weekends, which would negate all the week's weight loss. Once I got the weekends under control, I started to make real progress.

As far as alternatives to chips, there are some crackers and pretzels that are a better calorie value and give you the crunch. My wife buys these really thin Italian crackers. I like them a lot and they are probably half the calories of chips. I also seem to eat less because they are so damn expensive.

Cheese is a tough one. I love it too. All the alternatives I've tried are unsatisfying. And it's so calorie dense, that I usually skip it. But I sure do miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                    Have you explored lower-calorie alternatives to some of this stuff? Chips and weekend eating can sink your whole week.

I was dealing with this for a couple of years in that I would drop a pound or two during the week, and then gorge myself on the weekends, which would negate all the week's weight loss. Once I got the weekends under control, I started to make real progress.

As far as alternatives to chips, there are some crackers and pretzels that are a better calorie value and give you the crunch. My wife buys these really thin Italian crackers. I like them a lot and they are probably half the calories of chips. I also seem to eat less because they are so damn expensive.

Cheese is a tough one. I love it too. All the alternatives I've tried are unsatisfying. And it's so calorie dense, that I usually skip it. But I sure do miss it.
                    Thanks. That helped put it in perspective. The fact that I'm doing all this work during the week only to blow it all on the weekend. And the suggestion to go to crackers and pretzels is a good one. My wife is good at finding low cal. snacks. I'll have to ask her to find something for me, that is not totally without taste, that I can enjoy while watching the game. Perhaps I need to eat more popcorn. I love that stuff.

I’d say your time consumption from workout to alcohol is way to close. Alcohol slows down muscle building/repairing and your metabolism. That 30 min window is roughly the prime time your body needs the nutrients to grow etc. that’s the time for a protein shake and good carbs. Skim chcolate milk is one of the better options if not a protein shake person. Try saving that beer for later and then not after every workout.

If it’s a moderate beer you’re prob in 300 calorie range. 5x a week is 1,500 calories and roughly 1/2 lbs right there.
                    Well I can likely moderate some of the beer consumption after workouts. Some of that beer consumption I don't have too much control over since I'm running with a group of guys and we all go out for beer after. But some of the other workouts, I can definitely moderate the alcohol consumption. By the way, thanks for the math. That really brought home why I'm not losing any weight!

Comment

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] I definitely understand. My hockey team always grabs beers after every game. Most of the time I just drink water and hang with the guys. The last time I want after working out is a beer.

Comment

Not 100% OT but OMG OMG OMG I just PRed my squat by 15 lbs after one Wendler cycle. WOO SQUAT BOOTY
                        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          Not 100% OT but OMG OMG OMG I just PRed my squat by 15 lbs after one Wendler cycle. WOO SQUAT BOOTY
                          Is this a weight loss or weight lifting thread?

Either way, congratulations!

Comment

I would prefer to talk about fat loss than weight loss, although I know this is much harder to measure. I think most people want fat loss and not weight loss, at least for those lifting weights. I could easily lose 10 lbs by not working out and not eating much, but then I'd be losing those gainzzz and not fat.

Comment

I know for some people weight loss is very hard, and I understand. For me, though, weight loss isn't hard but fat loss is hard. Weight loss just means I keep working out and don't eat much. Fat loss means I keep working out and keep a very strict (and difficult to be consistent) diet.

Comment

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] I definitely understand. My hockey team always grabs beers after every game. Most of the time I just drink water and hang with the guys. The last time I want after working out is a beer.
                                Well I've been hitting the booze pretty hard of late. And by that I mean a beer a day for a while now. I don't see it slowing down in December with Christmas parties, after work socials, etc. But come January I'm going booze free for at least one month. Going to clean up my diet too. No more holiday sweets, get off the white drug (i.e sugar) and generally try to live a healthier lifestyle. I know someone who I'm going to try and rope in with me, so at least I have someone keeping me honest.

Hopefully, the combination of eating better, no beer, staying healthy and working out will help me keep some fat off.

Comment

Working...
                                X