No announcement yet.

Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I weighed myself last night after dinner and weighed 183.5. I usually hang between 185-187 at the end of the day so I was surprised to see that given I feel I have eaten more due to work stress and weather causing me to not run as much.

Who knows.

Comment

• On prompting of family, I'm a week into this 16/8 intermittent fasting thing. One of my biggest issues was turning into a honey badger and destroying the fridge and cupboards between 9 and 10 pm, so it fixes that.

Surprised that I'm not that hungry, even in the eating window. I feel noticeably sharper in the mornings, for some reason. Black coffee is not great and Stevia is disgusting. Downside of this is is that my sex drive is completely gone. Wife would tell you the upside is that my sex drive is completely gone.

I don't want this to be a fad. Has anyone had any luck making a long-term commitment to this IF scheme?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kittiwake30 View Post
        On prompting of family, I'm a week into this 16/8 intermittent fasting thing. One of my biggest issues was turning into a honey badger and destroying the fridge and cupboards between 9 and 10 pm, so it fixes that.

Surprised that I'm not that hungry, even in the eating window. I feel noticeably sharper in the mornings, for some reason. Black coffee is not great and Stevia is disgusting. Downside of this is is that my sex drive is completely gone. Wife would tell you the upside is that my sex drive is completely gone.

I don't want this to be a fad. Has anyone had any luck making a long-term commitment to this IF scheme?
        Keep at it and you'll get used to it in no time. For me, a 16/8 split is just skipping breakfast, which I already do anyways, and eating lunch after 11, and I generally have dinner before 7. Of course, eat healthy/the things you enjoy and healthy/filling snacks between meals or multiple smaller "meals."

Best way to keep at it is to not think of the foods that you DO eat as bad vs good, just portion control/calorie count.

Comment

• Wow, I can't believe I'm only just now seeing this thread!

I'd really let myself go for several years. I'd put on a few pounds, and I was feeling woefully inadequate, and that just led to more weight gained. It sapped my motivation to eat healthy, exercise, etc. But then, a little over a year ago, a friend encouraged me to give CrossFit a try. So I did, along with changing my diet, and have never regretted it. I'm 6'2" and started out at 230 lbs. and pants with a 38" waist. Eventually my weight got down to 200, and I switched to pants with a 36" waist. Since then the scale has moved up to 215 lbs., but none of my clothes were feeling any different when I wore them. So I realize it was muscle I gained, but I'm still shocked about that; I'm like, I really gained THAT much muscle?! I mean, when I was in college I used to hit the gym a lot but never really had anything to show for it (my weight was roughly 170-something, and while I could lose weight easily, I never could seem to gain muscle). At any rate, although the scale still shows 215, I realized my 36" pants were feeling abnormally loose. So I tried on some pairs of 34"-waist jeans (the size I had all throughout high school and college), and they fit! So now I'm having to get all-new pants yet again -- jeans, chinos, shorts, belts, even underwear! And a new suit to boot!

Comment

• 4 Thanksgivings to attend this year. RIP modest weight loss progress. Suppose I'll deadlift and squat like crazy and try to make the most of it. #NoRagrets #NoRegerts

Also, I don't have Twitter or Instagram so I don't really know why I use the pound sign like that. Guess I'm trying to be "with it."

Comment

• Late to this post, but I'm in.

Comment

• 224 this week (up 2 pounds). Long week on the plane and the air quality out here in SF is terrible.

No worries, 'tis a journey. Happy Thanksgiving folks

Comment

• So I'm at 191.4 as of this morning.

And I don't get it. I'm exercising almost twice a day and the weight just isn't coming off. Mind you it might have something to do with the daily beer. Or the Christmas chocolate that is around the office...

Damn. So frustrating.

Comment

• Yesterday at 200.4. Nearly there in my quest to get below 200 after starting 266 on January 4th.

Comment

• Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      So I'm at 191.4 as of this morning.

And I don't get it. I'm exercising almost twice a day and the weight just isn't coming off. Mind you it might have something to do with the daily beer. Or the Christmas chocolate that is around the office...

Damn. So frustrating.
                      For most of us, the formula is pretty simple; i.e., you need to burn off more calories than you take in.

The one daily beer is not likely the culprit, because that's about 140 calories.

But that candy around the office is pretty calorie dense. Some of it is 75 to 150 calories a piece. Three or four of those a day plus a beer--well, that's enough to keep the weight on.

Are you tracking your calories at all? If you start, you might get some insight.

As for me, I haven't posted because I put on a few pounds between my trip to New Orleans and Thanksgiving. I had dipped to 191.8 for one day and then over the course of three weeks went up to 198. Oops. I'm starting this Monday morning at 195.6 and plan on keeping on track. Xmas and New Years, of course, will be an ordeal, but I think I can drop a few before then.
                      Last edited by mebejoseph; December 3, 2018, 02:07 PM.
                      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

• Originally posted by calexako View Post
                        Yesterday at 200.4. Nearly there in my quest to get below 200 after starting 266 on January 4th.
                        Great work to lose 66 pounds in a year! 1.25 pounds a week is the slow and steady way to go.
                        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

So I'm at 191.4 as of this morning.

Damn. So frustrating.
                          What are you counting as exercise? Say a beer is 150 calories and 5 chocolates are 150 calories...that's 3 miles running in my mind unless you eat less at other times. 300 calories on an elliptical is like 30-45 minutes of pretty high cadence. Keep it up!

Also, weight loss could be due to other things as well but generally people overestimate calories burned.

Originally posted by calexako View Post
                          Yesterday at 200.4. Nearly there in my quest to get below 200 after starting 266 on January 4th.
                          Great Job!

Comment

• Yup you cannot out exercise a bad diet. And while I do love beers they have proven to slow metabolisms while also making it take longer to recover from injuries and repair and grow muscles. I try to keep my beer to own every few days. And maybe a couple on the weekends post hockey.

Also everyone’s body is different. Trying changing a variable to see how your body responds. Cut the chocolate or beer and see if one has an impact. Could also be timing if a late night beer or snack.

Comment

• Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                              What are you counting as exercise? Say a beer is 150 calories and 5 chocolates are 150 calories...that's 3 miles running in my mind unless you eat less at other times. 300 calories on an elliptical is like 30-45 minutes of pretty high cadence. Keep it up!

Also, weight loss could be due to other things as well but generally people overestimate calories burned.
                              Exercise. Hmm. I'm counting the following as part of my exercise regime. All distances are approximates. 9k of swimming a week. 40k of running a week. 2.5hrs spin class a week. Plus weight three days a week.

But you guys are right. The sugar/chocolate is killing me! The one beer might not be that bad, but included in that are Christmas sweets and lunches and desert, etc. I need to work on the calories/calories out bit. Definitely not winning that equation.

[MENTION=13934]hockeysc23[/MENTION] good point/tip about changing up some variables. I tend to follow the same regiment the whole time. Workout. Beer after workout. Some junk food. Dinner. Bed. Repeat. Maybe stopping to have a beer after each workout might help.

Comment

Exercise. Hmm. I'm counting the following as part of my exercise regime. All distances are approximates. 9k of swimming a week. 40k of running a week. 2.5hrs spin class a week. Plus weight three days a week.

But you guys are right. The sugar/chocolate is killing me! The one beer might not be that bad, but included in that are Christmas sweets and lunches and desert, etc. I need to work on the calories/calories out bit. Definitely not winning that equation.

[MENTION=13934]hockeysc23[/MENTION] good point/tip about changing up some variables. I tend to follow the same regiment the whole time. Workout. Beer after workout. Some junk food. Dinner. Bed. Repeat. Maybe stopping to have a beer after each workout might help.
                                That's a decent bit of working out...you are going to have to watch calories my friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X