Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What percentage of your belongings are second hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What percentage of your belongings are second hand?

I've focused on finding second hand alternatives to clothing and home items whenever possible. With two young kids it's almost criminal to pay sticker for things that get destroyed. Most people technically have a 'used" home or car, but what percentage of your belongings is "new to you"?

I'd say my wardrobe is 50 percent second hand. Most of the kids stuff is second hand, our van is used. I'd say overall about 30 percent of our possessions aren't new, with that percentage likely to rise.

How bout you guys?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nearly all my clothing is new when I purchase it. But I have no kids (or cars, for that matter), often buy custom suiting, etc.

However, nearly all of my higher end watches have been bought used for the same reasons of not paying sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
      Nearly all my clothing is new when I purchase it.

My best estimate is that 80% of my clothing was second hand.

Maybe 30% of my shoes were bought used. None of my Shell Cordovan shoes were bought new, for instance.

i have maybe 10 motorcycles which are second hand.

i have 8 guitars/basses, and maybe 6 tube amps that are second hand.

the only thing i have really bought new these days is my Ford Focus, which I plan to literally own until the wheels are falling off.

Maybe half of my living room furniture is antique MCM stuff, and the other half is new Herman Miller.

Though I do make a good amount of money, i could get new stuff, but maybe not as much SUPER cool stuff :-D

I not only have much more varied tastes than only buying new stuff allows, but I also enjoy that I can really buy nicer tier stuff used than i would bother to otherwise.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]. My clothes are all new while all of my higher end watches are used/vintage/whatever.

I have nothing against buying used clothes. I just don't have the patience to search through eBay threads or sort through the vintage shops. Mind you I wish I did have the patience, because I think I'd find some cool looking leather jackets or denim jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish I find more vintage coolness. I've lucked out with BR shirts, sweaters and the occasional sport coat. Being a.medoum has it's disadvantage in that there aren't as many people your size, hence fewer donations at Goodwill compared to large or XL. Goodwill's pricing is at least more consistent than SA.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Chalkey View Post
            I've focused on finding second hand alternatives to clothing and home items whenever possible. With two young kids it's almost criminal to pay sticker for things that get destroyed. Most people technically have a 'used" home or car, but what percentage of your belongings is "new to you"?

I'd say my wardrobe is 50 percent second hand. Most of the kids stuff is second hand, our van is used. I'd say overall about 30 percent of our possessions aren't new, with that percentage likely to rise.

How bout you guys?

I think that's smart and admirable.

I have only a few second hand things, given to me by a friend--they are outer wear. One is a Hugo Boss leather jacket. I couldn't turn that down.

Everything else is new. But I almost always buy on sale.
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Clothing is 100% new but also about 80% on sale. I just cannot see wearing other people's clothes given the sweat, and other body functions that may end up on clothing, especially shoes.

We have a fair bit of used furniture and other items though via craigslist and the like given we knew we'd want newer stuff when we purchased a bigger home. Cars are always used. I am not opposed to used goods but the time commitment and cost savings have to be worth it.

Comment

Dress shirts and pants about 90% new, mainly because it's hard to find used clothing in my size/slimness. A decent new shirt is so cheap that it's riskier to buy used and potentially pay more for tailoring.

Coats maybe 60% new? Military surplus helps in that regard.

Suits/blazers about 60% new as well, suits being more new than blazers. I've bought nice blazers & gotten them pretty well-tailored (including things like narrowing the lapels from an ultra-wide to the more reasonable) for a total cost of significantly less than a new one.

Shoes maybe 50% new, depending on how NWOT or 'only worn once or twice' counts. Ebay is chock full of lightly used shoes that are much cheaper than new, although here I have the benefit of being in a pretty bog-standard size.

Ties about 20% new. Used ties on ebay are so much cheaper than new ones, so cheap that it's fine to take a risk on less common styles.

Watches roughly 80% new, though my most expensive is an Orient. So nothing flashy.

Socks and undergarments are 100% new. Yeah.

Ultimately, in terms of price paid I don't really know how much I've saved since I have made a few dumb buys through ebay. Regardless, it does feel nice to be able to reuse clothing.

Comment

Most of the stuff I have ever bought used in terms of clothing is now gone. I do have some AEs from that AE eBay seller which may be try ons but not used used. I have one hat that could have been worn but I have been searching for it for a while.

Kids clothes are a mix of new and pass around the family. I do not know what % but I think we buy most of the kids clothes.

My car was bought new, my wife's was used. We sort of traded her car up with my inlays/her parents. We had a BMW 1-series (new) then swapped her parents for 2 different MB E350s over the course of a year or two.

We have a lot of used furniture but it was really passed down from her parents when they downsized. All of our bedroom furniture is new but the passed along stuff are some chairs, end tables, lamps, and other small things. The funny thing is when we moved into our house, we had plastic adorandak chairs in one room for maybe a year. Guests would look at us weird but we didn't know what we wanted for that room. It has since been filled but we thought people jump into buying furniture too soon and end of regretting it when they buy a house.

TL;DR - Our "used" items come from family, not thrift stores. A few eBay purchases on items that could be used.

Comment

I'd say that maybe 40% of my clothing is secondhand but that percentage is climbing on a monthly basis as I have made an concerted effort to be more mindful of any clothing purchase. I can say that probably 90% of the remaining clothing is purchased on sale. MSRP is a no no in this household.

Comment

I don't buy any fall/winter lined jackets or blazers new. There are too many good thick wool or tweed at thrift stores to have the need for new, especially since I don't need matching trousers.

I've also been lucky to find 3 pairs of thrifted Allen Edmonds for my dress shoe needs

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Clothing and watches probably 30%. Last purchase was a pair of Clae sneakers that someone bought and never wore, and today I'm wearing a pair of like-new Vans slip-on leathers that I got for $20 or so. For uber-basics, I'm starting to lean towards slightly higher-quality used Goodwill items vs. new Uniqlo or fast fashion versions. Today I'm wearing a Banana Republic silk-cotton-cashmere v-neck sweater that I got for $5 or $6 at Goodwill.

Cars - 100%.

Other stuff - it varies. I try to at least peek at eBay. Right now, I'm looking at a used turntable to replace my crappy USB one, and a decent desk clock.

Comment

It's probably 50/50 for me in regards to clothing.

If I really think about it. Most of not all my shoes have been eBay finds in the last 2-3 years with the exception of 2 pairs. Most of my sport coats and about half my suits. half my trousers.

Actually none of my shirts and knitwear are second hand. I hadn't realized that.

Truth be told I've saved a ton through eBay. But now I am at a point where I am cylcling out items for better versions I have to buy directly from the retailer since I have sort of developed very specific tastes by a select few brands. I probably won't even start doing this until we're both graduated and working. I have really slowed down over the last year in regards to purchases since I've got everything I really need in regards to clothing.

As far as appliances and other things around the home goes tv, couch, etc. since we happen to have no kids those get bought first hand and as deep a discount price we can find. We like nice things but it's hard to justify some things we really would like ( looking at you chesterfield from RH) when one of us is an grad school (not me, I'm dumb) and the other is working(semi professionally) and also working on their undergrad.

Car used

And that's just about covers it I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I find I end up spending similar amounts when not careful about my choices. A few $6 sweaters? Sure. I cycle in and out a lot as a result. Plus I'm rough on my clothes so I don't feel as bad when I've ruined by $5 BR button down with a coffee stain.

Part of me really enjoys the hunting. Reminds me if going to swap meets as a kid. 50 cent entry went a long way to keeping three kids entertained for a few hours.

The environmental impact is important to me as well.

Comment

I've been buying Wallace & Barnes stuff used as of late. I really like pieces from previous year's collection and can only get them that way. I also pick up any BB4 sized Black Fleece shirts I can find on eBay. Have my first pair of $20 AE on the way as well, so we'll see how that goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X