No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I forgot I had contributed to this thread almost a year ago. Since that time I have read and can recommend:

Justine by Lawrence Durrell - This is the first in a series of 4 books (the Alexandria Quartet), each told from the point of view of a different character, at a slightly different time period in the 1940s. I think if you like Graham Greene's The Quiet American, then you will like this book. Durrell is a really enjoyable writer and it really sets the mood for a place and time. I have not gotten to the other 3 yet, but I plan to (it's actually difficult to find the book on its own, they are relatively short and mostly sold as a quartet).

The Flame Throwers by Rachel Kushner - This is a story of a young female artist/student coming of age in the art scene in 1970s New York. It's also about May-September relationships, motorcycle land-speed records, Italian revolutionaries, and leather. Highly enjoyable read.

The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles - This is a kind of a love story written in the 1960s about he Victorian age, but with very modern sensibilities. One of the best things about it is the knowing and sarcastic authorial voice, to some degree satirizing the mannered moralizing that went into Victorian era novels - but still embodying some of the same themes. It's not the least bit stuffy. Apparently, they made a movie, but I wonder how they would since the author's voice is so crucial to the storytelling.

Room by Emma Donogue - Some may call this a bit of a gimmick as the book is told through the eyes of (an din the vocabulary and voice of) a "home-schooled" boy who has just turned 5. The only life he has ever known is the room he lives in with his mother. The first 100 pages were one of the toughest slogs of reading (upsetting, sometimes heartbreaking subject matter) that I've gone through, but I think it pays off. That's not what the book is about. I think it's about seeing some aspects of our society through the fresh perspective of this literally naive young'un.

Comment

Room. Man what a creepy book that was. I started reading that novel and had a hard time finishing it. The subject matter creeped me right out. Good book but wow. Intense.
      Last edited by DocDave; March 24, 2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Wicked Girls - I think I saw it suggested on the main site (but it may have been Primer or another of the sort). Just getting into it, but it seems like a nice little crime thriller.

Comment

Just about to start The Final Silence by Stuart Neville.

Comment

Just finished Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling. If you're into history and art, this is definitely a good read.

Comment

Just started Robert Jordans "The Wheel of Time" series. Currently on The Eye of The World.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                Just started Robert Jordans "The Wheel of Time" series. Currently on The Eye of The World.
                My favorite fantasy series of all time. So good. I don't want to spoil, ruin or set any expectations for you since I've already made it all the way through. I started reading this series back in like, 1991.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
                  My favorite fantasy series of all time. So good. I don't want to spoil, ruin or set any expectations for you since I've already made it all the way through. I started reading this series back in like, 1991.
                  I finally got around to reading The Dark Tower series last year, and I was talking to a colleague about it who highly recommended The Wheel of Time series. I had told my gf last fall about it and she surprised me on Valentines Day this year with the first two books to the series. So far it looks to be great and I cant wait to really delve into it. It seems like it wil take some time to get through all 14 books, but I am up to the challenge. I love these tomes. Thanks for the high praise of the series. That is great feedback to hear. I am sure I will enjoy it also.

Comment

I'm currently splitting my time between Marie Gale's "Good Manufacturing Practices" and Kevin Dunn's "Scientific Soapmaking"... but I'm guessing that's not what were really talking about, lol.

For fun, I'm in the middle of Arthur C Clarke's "Childhood's End" - there's a miniseries coming & I wanted to refresh my memory, having not read it in years...

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                      Great series of books, but I jammed out around book five or six. I just couldn't take it anymore. Seemed like the never ending series. But while I was reading it, I found the series to be thoroughly enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                        Great series of books, but I jammed out around book five or six. I just couldn't take it anymore. Seemed like the never ending series. But while I was reading it, I found the series to be thoroughly enjoyable.
                        I'm thinking of reading the first two I have and then switch to something completely different, and then go back for a book or two until I finish the series. I dont want to get fatigued by them either.

Comment

Yeah, that might have been my problem. I jumped in and started reading them and tried to plow my way through. Trouble is I was getting burned out and started hating the characters after a while and just wanted Jordan to end it. Having said that, I'm sure you'll enjoy the books. They are well written with loads of detail.

Comment

I'm currently reading "Telegraph Avenue" by Michael Chabon. I like what I've read before by him a lot. This one is slow going so far and his tendency to overdescribe and his profligate use of metaphors is a little annoying. I'm only about 100 pages in though, and I've been assured that once the narrative threads gather together into a coherent whole it becomes worth the early slogging. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                              I'm currently reading "Telegraph Avenue" by Michael Chabon. I like what I've read before by him a lot. This one is slow going so far and his tendency to overdescribe and his profligate use of metaphors is a little annoying. I'm only about 100 pages in though, and I've been assured that once the narrative threads gather together into a coherent whole it becomes worth the early slogging. We'll see.
                              Stay with it, it's a good read. Yes, he is prone to a bit of literary theatrics.

Comment

Currently Reading "The Circle" by Dave Eggers. It chronicles the journey of a 24-year old woman named Mae who starts at "The Circle" a tech company focused on documenting every part of human existence in a Dante's Inferno-esque journey. It's not bad but not as strong as Eggers' other work.
                                Best,
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X