No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished Silver in the Wood by Emily Tesh which was a short but perfect for my mood right now starring a dark magical mysterious woods.

Starting Bats of the Republic by Zachary Thomas Dodson which is a thick, illuminated novel. So far it's grabbed me so hoping it stays good.

Comment

Man. You guys are inspiring me to get back to reading. I've been listening to so many podcasts, that all of my free time is spend listening rather than reading. I have a week off coming up. Might be a good time to pick up some books based on the recommendations here.

Comment

After reading Don Winslow's Power of the Dog (recommended some time back on the main site) I've stormed through the follow up, The Cartel, and have just started the third and most recent book in the series, The Border. A series about the War on Drugs from the 70's-80's on up to the heroin crisis currently gripping the US. Highly enjoyable action novels. Not non-fiction, but reading them, they're probably pretty close to what's actually gone on over the decades.

Comment

I just finished Joseph Fink & Jeffrey Cranor's The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home. It's set in the world of their podcast, Welcome to Night Vale, but you don't need to have listened to the podcast to read the book. It's an absolutely brilliant horror/revenge book, from the perspective of, well, a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home. The story follows her quest for revenge through her exceedingly long lifespan.

As a main character and as a narrator, I adored the Faceless Old Woman. She's creepy and brutal, but at the same time understandable and sympathetic. You're absolutely going to experience some pretty huge highs and lows as the story unfolds, and while Night Vale is known for its ability to provide bizarre and wonderful emotional experiences, this book had a mood I would really only describe as 'longing'.

​​​​​​​It's the perfect quarantine read.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post

In the same vein as Cannon's "What song are you listening to?" thread.

For me it's Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury (guy that wrote Fahreneit 451). I should be done with it tonight and have to decide what to move on to. It is a beautifully written nostalgic book about childhood summers. Drags a bit through the middle, but Bradbury's prose makes up for it. Recommended, though Fahrenheit 451 is more recommended.
            Now i am reading "The Nickel Boys" by Colson Whitehead
            I haven't been attracted to books like this for a long time
            I've reached half of it so far, and due to problems associated with real life I can't afford to read a lot ,I would have finished it long ago
            I advise everyone

Comment

I just finished "Don't Burn This Book" by Dave Rubin. He's an interviewer and former liberal writing about his journey to classical liberalism and what is wrong with the modern left in America. Interesting read.

Comment

Game of Thrones and then want to start The Great Gatsby
                Jack

Comment

I'm reading Leave it to Psmith by P.G. Wodehouse...and when it comes to Dappered authors it's hard to beat P.G. Wodehouse IMO. His books are mostly set in England (some of the short stories take place in NYC) during the Jazz era. It's a somewhat fictionalized/utopian take on the jazz age. People dress for dinner, wear suits of tweed in the country and nattier worsteds in the city, the men have valets to ensure they're fashionably dressed, and the characters bounce between London and various English country manors and/or NYC. It's Downton Abbey with snappier dialogue, far more humor, and less reverence towards the British aristocracy. His forte is snappy jazz age dialogue and humor and I find it virtually impossible to be in a bad mood when reading Wodehouse. Which is why, given the state of the world, I'm reading him now.

Anyone who wants to start with a novel....can't do better than Right Ho, Jeeves. I think it may be in the public domain so free versions may be available. If you'd rather tackle some short stories, then Very Good, Jeeves is a good place to start.

Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie did a great TV adaptation of his most famous series of short stories and novels - the main characters are Bertie Wooster and his Valet Jeeves. Hugh Laurie's clothes, especially his suits, are drool worthy. Inexplicably, all available on Youtube for free at present.

“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

White Fragility- Robin DiAngelo

I wanted to see what the hype was about. It is such a poorly-written, logically deficient book

Comment

I'm working my way through Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. I've finished The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife so far. They are enjoyable. The story is pretty good. I had put reading them off in the past due to Pullman's disparaging remarks about Tolkien. I'd say his work is comparable to The Hunger Games books. Decent, interesting story, but it doesn't approach the level of Tolkien's work.

Comment

Working...
                      X