Clear All

• I started the witcher, after I watched the tv show

Comment

• Originally posted by davisan View Post
      I started the witcher, after I watched the tv show
      Great, I just have started watching it

Now I'm reading Arch of Triumph

Comment

• I just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy. What a devastatingly beautiful book. It's definitely found a place in my top 10 (maybe top 5?) best reads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
          I just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy. What a devastatingly beautiful book. It's definitely found a place in my top 10 (maybe top 5?) best reads.
          Oh man, The Road was way too dark for me. I love Cormac McCarthy's writing though. No Country for Old Men and the border trilogy are my favorites.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm with thedrake . Cormac McCarthy's stuff is too dark for me. I've read a few of his novels, but recently I am starting to look for 'happier' books.

Comment

• Just finished Longitude by Davo Sobel. It's the story of John Harrison, who constructed a timepiece that was accurate aboard ships at sea, thus solving the longitude "problem". Really good book, IMO.

Comment

• TurnandCoughlin Agreed! I picked Loingitude up to read on a five day holiday. I was so engrossed with the book, I finished it in one night. Then I was boned for the rest of the trip as I had nothing to read!

Comment

• The Royal Observatory in Greenwich has a cool exhibit about the competition to invent a device to measure longitude, if you're ever in London.

Comment

• Just started Mississippi Solo: A River Quest by Eddy Harris. It's about Eddy's trip from Minnesota to New Orleans on the Mississippi river in a canoe.

Yeah the Longitude book was amazing. Hard to believe that reliable, portable timekeeping is such a recent invention given how essential it is to much of our current tech. Hard to believe that people used to just sail out in to the ocean with only a rudimentary ability to keep track of where they were. Time to go home? I guess I'll just turn around and keep going until I hit land.
                    Last edited by thedrake; June 30, 2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• "keep going until I hit land" Literally

Comment

Working...
                      X