What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cforsyth View Post
    Thanks for the links, yoyo. I've also been listening to Welcome to Nightvale the last couple of months. It's amazing. They do a live show that I'm hoping to catch this month.
    No problem. Hope you find something cool there. Here's another one from them (SFFA), a reading of a SS by Chambers with discussion, and some dealing a little bit with TKiY:
    http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=51362

Comment

Reading Wolf of Wall Street right now. I generally read non-fiction historical stuff then a smattering of thriller/spy cream puff style stuff.

Comment

Not reading anything at the moment but just ordered 'Think and Grow Rich' by Napolean Hill from Amazon yesterday. I've been going through some marital problems and needed a positive self-help book to make me change how I view the world.

Comment

How the Irish saved civilization by Thomas Cahill

Comment

Picked up 3 books in the public library's book store for all of about $3. Hardcover edition of John Updike's Licks of Love, old vintage paperback copy of his Pigeon Feathers, and one of those 33.3 series books on albums, this one about the Talking Heads' Fear of Music. Reading a little of each of them. Updike is a favorite of mine.

Comment

I am reading a few books for work: The Challenger Sale and The Effortless Experience. Both by Matt Dixon. They are both essential reading for anyone in a sales/customer relations world.

Since they books are what I would consider "fun" reading I am also reading Divergent. So far I really like it.

Comment

Although I'm currently *still reading* a few other collections and one short novel, I opened the pages of another short story set that I've had sitting on my desk in a small stack of trade paperbacks for the last year or so: We Live in Water, by Jess Walter.

http://www.jesswalter.com/we_live_in...13__120477.htm

Pretty dark, rough, almost sad at times look into some strangers' lives. Super fast reads, though - and great minimal choice of words to get things across very effectively, IMO. Worth a read, if you're into short stories.
                Last edited by yoyorobbo; March 31, 2014, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I discovered a while back that my grandmother-in-law, who is constantly trying to offload stuff, has the full six-volume set of Carl Sandburg's biography of Abraham Lincoln. They are old and hardback and kind of awesome. It seems like the right way to read those books. So, I'm on volume one of that.

I also just received in the mail the second volume of Deathmatch, a recent limited series of comics. I'll probably be cheating on Lincoln with that tonight.

Comment

Just finished "Winston's War" by Michael Dobbs (kind of unnerving, with Putin acting up these days). Moved on to "Words of Radiance" by Brandon Sanderson.

Comment

Halfway through John McPhee's Annals of the Former World http://www.amazon.com/Annals-Former-.../dp/0374518734 which is a pop-sci narrative of United States geology, taking I-80 as a cross section. He's a fantastic writer describing the weirdness of North American geology (upside down beaches! rivers that flow both directions! accreted island arcs!) and delves into the history of geology as well, giving great perspective on how in just the last 100 years have we begun to understand how the world looked in the last 4.6 billion.

However, I'm taking a break right now to read William Gibson's Spook Country http://www.amazon.com/Spook-Country-...=spook+country

Comment

Going through Chronicles Of Narnia series with my daughter when she refuses to sleep at night.

Harvard Business Review cases & Multinational Corporate Finance occupy most of my free time for the next few weeks.

Going through the Hitchhiker's Guide series again when I have a few free minutes every now and then.

Comment

"Money Mischief" by Milton Friedman.

I'm on a big central banking kick. I recently wrapped up "End the Fed" and have "Currency Wars" in the on-deck circle. Fun times.

Comment

"City of Thieves" by David Benioff

It seems to be a pretty easy read, and I'm only a few chapters in, but so far so great.

Comment

Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd.

Boyd is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors. If you haven't already done so, I suggest looking him up.

Comment

Just finished The Great Upheaval by Jay Winik, really interesting look at the French Revolution, the aftermath of the American Revolution, and the reign of Catherine the Great, and how the last couple decades of the 18th century set the stage for the modern world.
                                “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                                "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Working...
                                X