No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished Prisoner of Azkaban this week. Onto finish Manhunt, the story of Lincoln's killer. I didn't get to finish it on my first borrow.

Comment

Reading 'The Body' by Bill Bryson. Interesting read from him and I surprisingly got through it quickly. Starting Rocket Men by Kurson next about one of the Apollo rockets. Supposed to be really good.

Comment

I might sound like a broken record here, but my favorite scifi series of last year is free to download for ereaders. Details are here https://www.tor.com/2020/04/20/downl...ffect-arrives/

These are short, novella length. You can download each of the four, the first one today and the next one each day after. They are very entertaining. There's a novel coming out so you can look forward to more.

Comment

I'm reading American Moonshot: John F. Kennedy and the Great Space Race - it's kind of a dual biography of JFK (not as detailed as a full on biography) and a history of the Space Race. By Douglass Brinkley.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Rereading Spook Country by William Gibson. It’s an interesting snapshot in time from about one technology generation back. Everything is laptops and WiFi since 3G and iPhones didn’t yet exist. Definitely a fashion/style dimension, too - Gibson drops names (Paul Stuart, Adidas GSG9, etc.) into the story once in a while, too...
            Mark

Comment

Current:
              Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well - Stone & Heen

Recent:
              Everybody Lies - Stephens-Davidowitz

Where the Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens

12 Rules for Life - Jordan B Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                I'm reading American Moonshot: John F. Kennedy and the Great Space Race - it's kind of a dual biography of JFK (not as detailed as a full on biography) and a history of the Space Race. By Douglass Brinkley.
                I am reading Rocket Men by Robert Kurson which is about Apollo 8. It is interesting getting to know the people involved and just what info they had in the 60s trying to get to the moon. I force myself to stop reading at night otherwise I would not put the book down.

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
                  Rereading Spook Country by William Gibson. It’s an interesting snapshot in time from about one technology generation back. Everything is laptops and WiFi since 3G and iPhones didn’t yet exist. Definitely a fashion/style dimension, too - Gibson drops names (Paul Stuart, Adidas GSG9, etc.) into the story once in a while, too...
                  Awesome, that's one of my favorites of his.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                    I am reading Rocket Men by Robert Kurson which is about Apollo 8. It is interesting getting to know the people involved and just what info they had in the 60s trying to get to the moon. I force myself to stop reading at night otherwise I would not put the book down.
                    That one sounds interesting, although my next one on the space program may be Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff. I read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test back in college and really liked it, despite not having much use for psychedelic drugs or the scene surrounding them.
                    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I finished The Institute by Stephen King last night. It was pretty good. Not as "scary" as a lot of his novels though. I'd say it was more of a suspense or physiological thriller. Definitely worth checking out though if you like his other stuff.

Comment

Network Effect by Martha Wells

Comment

Aristotle's Politics
                          American Nations by Colin Woodard

Comment

Finished Rocket Men by Kurson and moved back to Malcolm Gladwell and am reading Outliers. I really liked the Jack Reacher book I read from Lee Child and just bought the whole book lot on ebay so I have a long term plan to read those. Fiction is nice in between the other stuff.

Comment

10 Negroes by Agatha Christie.

Comment

The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin

I've been really tired while reading this so far so I think that may be partly why it hasn't grabbed me yet. It is good, big cities come to life and have avatars that battle Cthulu-like monsters? Yes please.

Comment

Working...
                                X