No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been reading Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland by Patrick Radden Keefe. I agree with [MENTION=11125]burban[/MENTION]. Great book. I am really getting in to it. What I really enjoy about the book is I recognize many of the names from when I was a kid. In reading the book I am getting a much clearer picture of the history of the violence in Northern Ireland. I highly recommend this book.

Comment

I finally finished Edmund Morris' Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. It was a very good read and I'm looking forward to the next two volumes in the trilogy.

Currently rereading The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - one of my all time favorite books. The man created and wrote a mythology and created multiple cultures and languages and histories... one man did what usually takes hundreds or thousands of people over man generations to create.

Also reading Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics by Dan Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
        I finally finished Edmund Morris' Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. It was a very good read and I'm looking forward to the next two volumes in the trilogy.

Currently rereading The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - one of my all time favorite books. The man created and wrote a mythology and created multiple cultures and languages and histories... one man did what usually takes hundreds or thousands of people over man generations to create.

Also reading Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics by Dan Harris
        Adding that Dan Harris book to my roster...his book helped my meditation practice quite a bit though I prefer the Sam Harris app...maybe because I committed almost a year to it before learning about the Dan Harris app.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
          Adding that Dan Harris book to my roster...his book helped my meditation practice quite a bit though I prefer the Sam Harris app...maybe because I committed almost a year to it before learning about the Dan Harris app.
          Funny you should mention Sam Harris' app. I signed up for it when it was released on Android a year or so ago for the intro pricing. I used it for like a week and fell off of that wagon. I just started using it again and reading Dan's book. They seem to compliment each other pretty well. Like you, I'm hesitant to try Dan's app because I'm already invested in Sam's Waking Up app.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=10629]Mr. Charles[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] without derailing the thread too much how do you like using an app for meditation? The two seem kind of counter-intuitive for me. Thx.

Comment

I also just finished Say Nothing and thought it was mostly well done ("mostly" because the author's tone in covering the Price sisters seemed a little off at times). I wasn't expecting quite as much background/historical info but I thought those sections ended up being a pretty solid overview of the history of the Troubles, and I guess there's only so many pages you can dedicate to the McConnville case itself when there wasn't much of an investigation to begin with. Sad stuff but a worthwhile read.

In much lighter (but still a little melancholic) Ireland-related reading, I also read A Pint of Plain: Tradition, Change, and the Fate of the Irish Pub by Bill Barich. The history and culture parts dealing with post-Celtic Tiger Ireland and how that's impacting pub culture are really interesting, Barich's personal travelogue parts are more hit & miss, but recommended overall.
              “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
              "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                [MENTION=10629]Mr. Charles[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] without derailing the thread too much how do you like using an app for meditation? The two seem kind of counter-intuitive for me. Thx.
                Since I'm a total noob at it I find the app helpful. The guidance prompts me to notice when my mind is wandering which allows me to notice sooner than I do without the prompting. As I get better at it maybe it won't be as helpful, but for now I like it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  I like using an app for the guiding portion. There are timers if you do not want to have someone directing you.

Comment

Agency by William Gibson. Pre ordered the book because I really like the author and surprisingly got a signed copy! Nice little surprise when I cracked it open. The book is really good so far.
                    https://www.amazon.com/Agency-Willia.../dp/110198693X

Comment

Finished 10% happier, audio version. I don't think i would have made it through the text but great to listen too. On some lighter Harry Potter fair now. I really want to finish this series.

Comment

Reading the last chapter tonight of Stop Doing That Sh*t by Gary John Bishop. It's not as good as Unf*ck Yourself, but was a good follow up.

About to start The Last Gunfight. Hope it's good
                        We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

"Please Kill Me"
                          An oral history of Punk...

Comment

I got about half way through Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel before the pandemic really started picking up steam in the US and I decided I would finish reading it later. Not a spoiler, a portion of the book takes place in a post pandemic apocalyptic setting and a portion of the book is set as the pandemic starts. Too real Emily, too real.

So instead I started Redshirts by John Scalzi, fun light sci fi.

If you have an eReader (kindle or phone or whatever) and like sci fi, you should sign up for Tor's free ebooks. It's free books. Like, they just give them to you.

I pre-ordered the new Murderbot book by Martha Wells from my local book store to help support them while shit is in lock down. If you haven't read the Murderbot novellas, then get on that. They rock. Murderbot rocks.

Been seeing some bad stuff about the Internet Archive. The Internet Archive is not a library. It does not pay authors/publishers for the books it hosts. Real libraries pay for their books. Please do not use the Internet Archive to get books because you are preventing authors and publishers from being paid for their work.

Comment

Same reason I didn't finish Hunters on Amazon. Won't get into detail as not to spoil but...

Comment

I am back to doing more recreational reading (I read a crap load for work) during this lock down. Currently, I'm reading, I am a Strange Loop by by Douglas Hofstadter, which attempts to explain the concept of "I" in terms of a mathematical loops and theorems--I think. I'm not done, and I have a hard time understanding Gödel and Principia Mathematica, which he bases a lot of the book on--so, it's slow going and I'm not 100% sure I am understanding the concepts.

Although I do understand his main point: "In the end, we are self-perceiving, self-inventing, locked-in mirages that are little miracles of self-reference."
                                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Working...
                                X