No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally finished The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu. I don't know if I'm going to finish the series though. I'm not a huge fan of his writing style. The thing that might make me finish it is that the end of The Dark Forest sets up the next book to go in an unexpected direction soooo yeah I might slog through the last book if I get through my current reading list.

I've also been reading Acceptance by Jeff Vander Meer which is wrapping up that series nicely. It's tense and creepy and weird and perfect.

Comment

Currently reading Hark, which is about a new-age guru kind of guy. Just 50 pages but enjoying the book so far.

Comment

Rereading The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. Wanted to breeze through something easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How Long 'til Black Future Month by N.K. Jemisin. It's a collection of sci-fi short stories, most are great. I'm really enjoying it.

Comment

Just starting Team of Teams by Stanley McChrystal. The book was recommended by my boss. I generally don't read this kind of stuff, but hey. Why not give something new a try?

Comment

The Bounty, by Bligh's biographer Caroline Alexander. Exhaustively researched and a bit exhausting to get through, but in the end an enjoyable and very informative read.
              Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Comment

I started reading Influence by Robert Cialdini but then switched to Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker. Along with Why We Sleep, Walker has done quite a few podcasts which I am listening to as well.

Comment

The Library Book by Susan Orlean. You'd think a book about the history of libraries, written around the great library fire of the LA public library, would be dull. But you'd be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                    The Library Book by Susan Orlean. You'd think a book about the history of libraries, written around the great library fire of the LA public library, would be dull. But you'd be wrong.
                    Added this to my To Read list. I love a good library.

I finished How Long 'til Black Future Month by N.K. Jemisin. Can't overstate how much I like her writing. It's a bunch of short stories and there was only one that I thought was so-so. All the others were fantastic.

Next up: Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente

Comment

Just started Timefulness by Marcia Bjornerud. https://press.princeton.edu/titles/13234.html

If nothing else it's a beautiful little book with some nice illustrations in the text. I'm a geologist so it's a subject near to my heart. Hoping it's a good read.

Comment

The Empty Throne by Bernard Cornwell. Its in the "Saxon Stories" series, which is the basis of The Last Kingdom on Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                          I started reading Influence by Robert Cialdini but then switched to Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker. Along with Why We Sleep, Walker has done quite a few podcasts which I am listening to as well.
                          Finished "Why We Sleep". Was a great book and would recommend it for people who do not prioritize sleep. I stopped using an alarm clock mid-way through reading this book. Used to wake up at 5:30a every morning, now I wake up on my own between 5:45a and 6:30a or whenever the kids run into our room.

Back to Cialdini then I don't know. I have a shelf of unread books and a long Amazon wish list....

Comment

Podcasting has ruined me for books I used to read a TON. Now, all of my free time is spent listening to podcasts. I need to get back in to reading.

Comment

On Trails by Robert Moor https://www.amazon.com/Trails-Explor.../dp/1476739234

Not really what I was expecting. Well written and interesting so far. Recommended.

Comment

So I finished Influence in June. Not at life changing as some people say.

In July I read, The Stranger in the Woods by Michael Finkel. It was a quick and interesting read about a modern day hermit. I forget where I found out about this book.

I am currently reading The Half-Life of Facts by Samuel Arbesman. I am about 50 pages in and it is fine so far. Really makes you think about all of the facts you think you know but have changed since you learned them.

Comment

Working...
                                X