What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonATL View Post
    Am I the only one who has a bookshelf stuffed with half-read books? I'm reading three or four right now -- hopefully I make it through at least one of them sometime soon.
    I used to do that when I had more time to read. Now I barely have time to read one book, much less switch between several different ones. I try to focus on one book at a time now.

Comment

I usually read nonfiction history... I have enough trouble keeping track of multiple generations of Dukes of York and Earls of Essex... cain’t do multiple books at once.
      Ben

Comment

Reading "The Thing" by Chesterton and "But Enough About Me" by Burt Reynolds.

Comment

Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky

Comment

Originally posted by sethtvaughn View Post
            I used to do that when I had more time to read. Now I barely have time to read one book, much less switch between several different ones. I try to focus on one book at a time now.
            Try to focus ... yeah, I do too, but it never works. I guess it worked when I trudged through as much Faulkner as I could last year, but with the nonfiction stuff I'm reading now, not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Arête View Post
              Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky
              Wow. Impressive!

Comment

Hello World by Hannah Fry. She is on some Numberphile videos on Youtube. It is a shorter read at 200 pages but am liking it so far.

Comment

Just finished "The Obesity Code" by Fung. Basically a low-carb/keto diet with intermittent fasting thrown in. Interesting book though, especially since he cites a lot of newer studies.

Started "News of the World" today. "Words of Radiance" by Sanderson is next in the queue.

Comment

Originally posted by cwk View Post
                    Just finished "The Obesity Code" by Fung. Basically a low-carb/keto diet with intermittent fasting thrown in. Interesting book though, especially since he cites a lot of newer studies.

Started "News of the World" today. "Words of Radiance" by Sanderson is next in the queue.
                    Fasting and Keto interest me but I practice neither.

1. Fasting has so many variables and it is hard to pin down which one is best. Water only or low cal? Time period 18hrs, 1 day, 3 day, 5 day, 7 day, 10 day, and how often to cycle? I like the idea of autophagy but figuring out which fasting period works best is still a black box. Also add into this the only good study has been on monkeys and the best benefit came to those with bad diets to start. Anything is better than the Standard American Diet.
                    2. Keto seems to have promise on various ailments. It helps in disease management and looks promising to add when trying to cure certain types of cancer.

Sorry for the soapbox. Is Fung trying to sell anything with the book or just put the literature out there?

Comment

I just finished "Can't Hurt me" by David Goggins. This guy is an example for all of us. Just wow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                        Fasting and Keto interest me but I practice neither.

1. Fasting has so many variables and it is hard to pin down which one is best. Water only or low cal? Time period 18hrs, 1 day, 3 day, 5 day, 7 day, 10 day, and how often to cycle? I like the idea of autophagy but figuring out which fasting period works best is still a black box. Also add into this the only good study has been on monkeys and the best benefit came to those with bad diets to start. Anything is better than the Standard American Diet.
                        2. Keto seems to have promise on various ailments. It helps in disease management and looks promising to add when trying to cure certain types of cancer.

Sorry for the soapbox. Is Fung trying to sell anything with the book or just put the literature out there?
                        Totally agree -- there doesn't seem to be a consensus on fasting. Recently I decided to try it and just finished my first water-only 36 hour fast today. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and dropped 4 lbs in one day (which was a good thing, since the purpose was to break through a plateau). I doubt that's typical, but it was a nice surprise this morning. It was an interesting experiment, but I'll probably stick to shorter fasts to lose my last few lbs.

I believe Fung wrote the book just to get the info out there, but has since aligned with a website called DietDoctor that has some type of subscription plan. Not sure what it involves though. In any case, he doesn't seem interested in launching a line of "diet" food products like Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc. I'm not a cheerleader for him, but I found the book interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by nixxy View Post
                          Reading "The Thing" by Chesterton
                          I need to read this, love GKC but haven't gotten to this one yet.

Current reading: I decided to tackle The Divine Comedy, currently about 1/3rd of the way through Inferno. Mixing that up with a Gene Wolfe short story collection.
                          “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                          "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

The Divine Comedy, that's by David Foster Wallace correct? If it is, and it is the book I'm thinking of, wow. Good job. His books aren't easy to tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                              The Divine Comedy, that's by David Foster Wallace correct? If it is, and it is the book I'm thinking of, wow. Good job. His books aren't easy to tackle.
                              Nope, Dante. I'm not that familiar with Wallace to be honest, but I've definitely gathered that tackling his stuff is a commitment.
                              “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                              "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Finished Hello World by Hannah Fry and working on Malcolm Gladwell's Blink. Seems a little dated as it was published in 2005 but still an interesting read.

Comment

Working...
                                X