What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
    Um I don't know where you heard that but the Stormlight Archives are far from over. Right know his plan is for 10 books split into 2 sets of five book series. That being said, the Mistborn trilogy is excellent and the follow up Wax & Wayne books are good reads.
    Oh oops a quick wiki search does look like it has a long way to go. For some reason the last time I checked it seemed like it was ending at 3. He still has a lot of other material to read and looks like he's able to knock books out within a reasonable time frame which makes me happy.

Comment

Thanks to the suggestions here, I've started reading Sapiens. I'm quite enjoying it so far, although I see how the book could ruffle a few feathers out there...Great suggestion though. Thanks.

Comment

My lunchtime reading has slowed down due to an ever increasing workload but I have stuck true to my 10-20 pages before bed. The next book in my queue has jumped all of the others I have purchased. It is: I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression by Terrence Real. I heard about this book from Peter Attia whom has a podcast I also listen to. He recommends this book a lot and says it is his most gifted book now. He is not a psychiatric physician but one interested in longevity and I would highly recommend his recent podcast with Paul Conti. It has opened my eyes and I am looking to make some life changes because of it.

Also, I have been making my way through the 900+ page tome from Kenji Lopez-Alt, The Food Lab. Very cool book you can just jump around in and if you enjoy cooking, it is worth having. The book has now caused me to upgrade a few items in my kitchen and buy some whetstones.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
          Finished Hellfire Club by Jake Tapper. Was entertaining enough and read like a little bit of a Dan Brown novel set in politics.

Now reading Make Your Bed by McRaven, and biding time for "Fear" by Woodward to drop next week. After reading Fire & Fury, then Comey's book, I apparently can't get enough of the train wreck nonfiction...
          Finished McRaven -- it was fine, exactly what I expected it to be, and was easy to read in short spurts on the subway.

Just started Woodward's Fear now. Early report is that it's eerily similar in type of story to Fire & Fury, which seems to lend credence to F&F and other similar tales of the current administration. Which, without getting too political, should probably scare anyone regardless of the side of the aisle they sit on.

Comment

I'm reading Authority by Jeff Vandermeer which is the second book in The Southern Reach trilogy. It's great so far. I like the main character much more than in the first book (Annihilation). I'm amazed they made a movie out of the first book, it doesn't seem like it would translate well.

If you got bogged down in the first book and didn't make it to the second, then I highly recommend it. https://www.amazon.com/Authority-Nov.../dp/B00GET18P2

One thing that doesn't get talked about a lot is book design. It's so minor, but the cover on even the paperback is gorgeous: embossed and printed with metallic ink so it catches the light. Interior pages have some nice illustrations too.

Comment

50 pages left in Mastery by Robert Greene. It is ok but nothing new and not written in a way that is super entertaining to me. Next up is River of Doubt by Candice Millard

Comment

[MENTION=6764]thedrake[/MENTION] I'm waiting for that book from the library. I finished the first book about a month ago and quite liked it. Here's hoping the second one is just as good.

Comment

The Fifteen Lives of Harry August.

An interesting take on time travel. Not your usual claptrap of a book. Definitely would recommend.

Comment

Dear book list....why do you keep getting longer and I keep reading the same pace?

Also, I have cut down my list to where the book needs to be recommended by multiple people I trust who read more quickly than myself. Annie Duke has a recent book out but after listening to 3-5 podcasts with her, I ditched the book on my list.

Comment

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] you hit the nail right on the head. My reading list is getting longer and longer while my free time is getting shorter and shorter. My love of podcasts isn't helping either.

Comment

Just started (weeks ago, I'm a slow reader) The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu. I liked The Three Body Problem which is the first book in the series, but didn't love it and this one hasn't really grabbed me yet. The thing that keeps me going is one of my friends finished the series already and I want to be able to talk to him about it, so like in six months.

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                          Just started (weeks ago, I'm a slow reader) The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu. I liked The Three Body Problem which is the first book in the series, but didn't love it and this one hasn't really grabbed me yet. The thing that keeps me going is one of my friends finished the series already and I want to be able to talk to him about it, so like in six months.
                          I have heard of this series but it is not on my list to read. Let us know your thoughts as you work your way through it.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                            I have heard of this series but it is not on my list to read. Let us know your thoughts as you work your way through it.
                            The writer is Chinese and the books are translated. The beginning of the first book does an amazing job of placing the plot and characters in context of recent Chinese history. The writing feels a little mechanical, but the ideas in the books are big and new. I didn't connect with the characters very strongly but that might be a function of culture or translation or who knows what. Most of the characters have non-english names as well as nicknames so it can be a little hard to keep track of who's who, but there's a cheat sheet in the front of each book.

At the very least, I think the books are worth reading for the plot and the concepts that are explored. It's a bonus that the concepts are explored from a Chinese perspective. I do like the series so far. My comment above about not loving it just means that I probably won't re-read the series after I'm done. I might change my mind on that once I've finished the series. I've said that to myself before and then changed my mind because I do like to re-read and feel that I gain something from revisiting books.

Comment

Let me help you guys on books not to read: River of Doubt by Candice Millard - It was 90% about the jungles of South America and 10% about Roosevelt. (unless jungle details are your thing) I would recommend Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing if you are looking for a real life adventure story. Hard to believe what humans can endure and reinforces my perception that I am one soft human being ( I would not have last 24 hours in the conditions these guys endured).

Came here looking for my next book, DocDave is usually good for a suggestion or 2 so next stop is the library to reserve The Fifteen Lives of Harry August

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=12664]joekloo[/MENTION]. Podcasts have really cut in to my book reading. That and I'm taking a class at university right now which is limiting the amount of free time I have.

But I did start Girls by Emma Cline. The book is about Charles Manson and the women in his life. The book is fiction, but with some facts woven in. I'm just starting it so I don't have much to say about it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X