Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abh159
    replied
    I finished The Institute by Stephen King last night. It was pretty good. Not as "scary" as a lot of his novels though. I'd say it was more of a suspense or physiological thriller. Definitely worth checking out though if you like his other stuff.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
    I am reading Rocket Men by Robert Kurson which is about Apollo 8. It is interesting getting to know the people involved and just what info they had in the 60s trying to get to the moon. I force myself to stop reading at night otherwise I would not put the book down.
    That one sounds interesting, although my next one on the space program may be Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff. I read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test back in college and really liked it, despite not having much use for psychedelic drugs or the scene surrounding them.

Leave a comment:

• thedrake
    replied
    Originally posted by motosacto View Post
    Rereading Spook Country by William Gibson. It’s an interesting snapshot in time from about one technology generation back. Everything is laptops and WiFi since 3G and iPhones didn’t yet exist. Definitely a fashion/style dimension, too - Gibson drops names (Paul Stuart, Adidas GSG9, etc.) into the story once in a while, too...
    Awesome, that's one of my favorites of his.

Leave a comment:

• JBarwick
    replied
    Originally posted by mark4 View Post
    I'm reading American Moonshot: John F. Kennedy and the Great Space Race - it's kind of a dual biography of JFK (not as detailed as a full on biography) and a history of the Space Race. By Douglass Brinkley.
    I am reading Rocket Men by Robert Kurson which is about Apollo 8. It is interesting getting to know the people involved and just what info they had in the 60s trying to get to the moon. I force myself to stop reading at night otherwise I would not put the book down.

Leave a comment:

• ronrob
    replied
    Current:
    Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well - Stone & Heen

Recent:
    Everybody Lies - Stephens-Davidowitz

Where the Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens

12 Rules for Life - Jordan B Peterson

Leave a comment:

• motosacto
    replied
    Rereading Spook Country by William Gibson. It’s an interesting snapshot in time from about one technology generation back. Everything is laptops and WiFi since 3G and iPhones didn’t yet exist. Definitely a fashion/style dimension, too - Gibson drops names (Paul Stuart, Adidas GSG9, etc.) into the story once in a while, too...

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    I'm reading American Moonshot: John F. Kennedy and the Great Space Race - it's kind of a dual biography of JFK (not as detailed as a full on biography) and a history of the Space Race. By Douglass Brinkley.

Leave a comment:

• thedrake
    replied
    I might sound like a broken record here, but my favorite scifi series of last year is free to download for ereaders. Details are here https://www.tor.com/2020/04/20/downl...ffect-arrives/

These are short, novella length. You can download each of the four, the first one today and the next one each day after. They are very entertaining. There's a novel coming out so you can look forward to more.

Leave a comment:

• JBarwick
    replied
    Reading 'The Body' by Bill Bryson. Interesting read from him and I surprisingly got through it quickly. Starting Rocket Men by Kurson next about one of the Apollo rockets. Supposed to be really good.

Leave a comment:

• Jrbrownie00
    replied
    Finished Prisoner of Azkaban this week. Onto finish Manhunt, the story of Lincoln's killer. I didn't get to finish it on my first borrow.

Leave a comment:

• mebejoseph
    replied
    I am back to doing more recreational reading (I read a crap load for work) during this lock down. Currently, I'm reading, I am a Strange Loop by by Douglas Hofstadter, which attempts to explain the concept of "I" in terms of a mathematical loops and theorems--I think. I'm not done, and I have a hard time understanding Gödel and Principia Mathematica, which he bases a lot of the book on--so, it's slow going and I'm not 100% sure I am understanding the concepts.

Although I do understand his main point: "In the end, we are self-perceiving, self-inventing, locked-in mirages that are little miracles of self-reference."

Leave a comment:

• Jrbrownie00
    replied
    Same reason I didn't finish Hunters on Amazon. Won't get into detail as not to spoil but...

Leave a comment:

• thedrake
    replied
    I got about half way through Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel before the pandemic really started picking up steam in the US and I decided I would finish reading it later. Not a spoiler, a portion of the book takes place in a post pandemic apocalyptic setting and a portion of the book is set as the pandemic starts. Too real Emily, too real.

So instead I started Redshirts by John Scalzi, fun light sci fi.

If you have an eReader (kindle or phone or whatever) and like sci fi, you should sign up for Tor's free ebooks. It's free books. Like, they just give them to you.

I pre-ordered the new Murderbot book by Martha Wells from my local book store to help support them while shit is in lock down. If you haven't read the Murderbot novellas, then get on that. They rock. Murderbot rocks.

Been seeing some bad stuff about the Internet Archive. The Internet Archive is not a library. It does not pay authors/publishers for the books it hosts. Real libraries pay for their books. Please do not use the Internet Archive to get books because you are preventing authors and publishers from being paid for their work.

Leave a comment:

• mhip
    replied
    "Please Kill Me"
    An oral history of Punk...

Leave a comment:

• APinNC
    replied
    Reading the last chapter tonight of Stop Doing That Sh*t by Gary John Bishop. It's not as good as Unf*ck Yourself, but was a good follow up.

About to start The Last Gunfight. Hope it's good

Leave a comment:

Working...
X