What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2-Hour Job Search

(It takes longer to read the book than it does to implement its recommendations.)

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
      The 2-Hour Job Search

(It takes longer to read the book than it does to implement its recommendations.)
      I'll have to check into that. Looks like it could be helpful.

Comment

Has anybody read the "newer" Bond novels by Amis, Gardner, Deaver, et al? Any opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
          I'll have to check into that. Looks like it could be helpful.
          It's written by a career counselor at Duke's business school. He uses the 80/20 rule to help maximize efficiency by eliminating wastes of time from a job search.
          Last edited by alan; February 28, 2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Technically a short story, but right now I'm reading At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft. Brilliantly suspenseful and asks difficult questions about what makes a monster.

Comment

I just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. It's the first of a trilogy set in a dystopian future. It came out in 2003 and, aside from being a brilliantly written, very entertaining story, it's scarily prescient. Atwood's a genius. I can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                Atwood's a genius.
                The Handmaid's Tale is one of my favorite books.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                  I just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. It's the first of a trilogy set in a dystopian future. It came out in 2003 and, aside from being a brilliantly written, very entertaining story, it's scarily prescient. Atwood's a genius. I can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy.
                  +1

Currently reading Game of Thrones; there's something great about having to look up a word now and then. Fantastic characters.

Comment

Thank You for Your Service by David Finkel. Emotionally exhausting but very worthwhile and well written. Provides a glimpse of the challenges some of our soldiers face upon returning home.

Comment

Originally posted by marathon View Post
                      +1

Currently reading Game of Thrones; there's something great about having to look up a word now and then. Fantastic characters.
                      +1 on this. I'm on book 2 right now (A Clash Of Kings).

Comment

Currently reading Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis.

I'm in a newly-formed monthly book club. We read Pastoralia by George Saunders, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers, and Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins.

I probably like Babbitt the most (so far) followed by a very strong debut novel from McCullers.

Comment

What Einstein Told His Cook 2: The Sequel: Further Adventures in Kitchen Science - a Valentine's Day gift from my girlfriend. I loved the first book and this one's at par.

The Argumentative Indian: Writings on Indian History, Culture and Identity - I picked up this on my last visit home. A tour-de-force of Indian's political and intellectual heritage.

Comment

Originally posted by sethtvaughn View Post
                            +1 on this. I'm on book 2 right now (A Clash Of Kings).
                            Snape kills Dumbledore.
                            Last edited by marathon; February 28, 2014, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Severus Snaps.
                              Ben

Comment

Get Shorty - Elmore Leonard. Great movie. Even better book. Didn't start reading Elmore Leonard until about a year ago. I missed out for a long time. It's just good, easy, entertaining reading.

Comment

Working...
                                X