No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree - Devil in the White City was his best, but I'm from Chicago so the setting was more interesting for me. The other one I read was about the Galveston Hurricane, which was pretty interesting, but not as compelling as the other 2.

Comment

Originally posted by joombo
      Currently in the last 50 pages of Elantris and it is beyond wonderful. The Sanderson Avalanche never fails.
      Going to follow it up with the emperor's soul? It takes place on the other side of the planet so the magic system is different but has a similar set of fundamental rules

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Really enjoying this book. A great dive in to how Texas grapples with politics, religion, and of course gun ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
          Really enjoying this book. A great dive in to how Texas grapples with politics, religion, and of course gun ownership.
          I've had multiple people recommend this book (including many from Texas). Def on my reading list.

Comment

Triumphs of Experience: The Men of the Harvard Grant Study by George Vaillant - Really good book for those of us in middle life (assuming I live to be 100)

Comment

Having finished God Save Texas, I'm on to..

A fiction book dealing with the hunt for...well I'm not quite sure exactly. But for anyone who likes books about people who obsess about books, then this fictional story may be for you.

Comment

I'm about a quarter way into The Vanguard Experiment by Robert Slater.

Comment

Just started Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood by Michael Lewis. It is a short read but is funny enough after the first 10 pages.

Just finished Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman which I would recommend to anyone. An interesting book about the life of a Nobel winning physicist and how he bounced around doing different things because he was just a curious guy. It is an older book so if political correctness bothers you it may not be the best book

Comment

Just picked up When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing. Haven't started it yet, but might turn a few pages over lunch today.

Comment

Finished Hellfire Club by Jake Tapper. Was entertaining enough and read like a little bit of a Dan Brown novel set in politics.

Now reading Make Your Bed by McRaven, and biding time for "Fear" by Woodward to drop next week. After reading Fire & Fury, then Comey's book, I apparently can't get enough of the train wreck nonfiction...

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] I started Hellfire Club but bailed on it about 50 pages in. The book just wasn't doing it for me. But I 100% agree with your assertion about it feeling like a Dan Brown book. The funny thing is, I waited months for the book from the library only to bail on it. Oh well...

I too am waiting on Fear by Woodward. I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                          [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] I started Hellfire Club but bailed on it about 50 pages in. The book just wasn't doing it for me. But I 100% agree with your assertion about it feeling like a Dan Brown book. The funny thing is, I waited months for the book from the library only to bail on it. Oh well...

I too am waiting on Fear by Woodward. I'm looking forward to it.
                          Yeah, it wasn't amazing but good enough to keep me entertained at my pace of reading and I liked the historical details and DC-related architecture, etc. mixed in. Guess I'm effectively a sucker for Dan Brown-esque type stuff, but obviously know it isn't groundbreaking lit either.

Comment

I may have to pick this Hellfire Club book up. Sounds interesting enough.

Comment

I enjoy fantasy and I'm on the third book of The Stormlight Archive Oathbringer. It's refreshing to read a series that has been finished (ahem Martin and Rothfuss). Sanderson has so many books I'm looking forward to starting Mistborn next.

Comment

Originally posted by tbond View Post
                                I enjoy fantasy and I'm on the third book of The Stormlight Archive Oathbringer. It's refreshing to read a series that has been finished (ahem Martin and Rothfuss). Sanderson has so many books I'm looking forward to starting Mistborn next.
                                Um I don't know where you heard that but the Stormlight Archives are far from over. Right know his plan is for 10 books split into 2 sets of five book series. That being said, the Mistborn trilogy is excellent and the follow up Wax & Wayne books are good reads.

Comment

Working...
                                X