No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got Factfulness and Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman in the mail. Just counted my queue....30 books after these 2. Other than some random books, I have a bunch of Malcolm Gladwell and Michael Lewis books on the list.

As I mentioned, the philosophy books are on hold for something more enjoyable. I am debating adding fiction to my list but it is already so long and I only read ~1 book per month.

Comment

I've also started reading White Noise by Don DeLillo. The book is hard to describe and the writing style is definitely unique. But I am enjoying the book thus far, about 100 pages in.

Comment

Finished Homo Deus, definitely not easy summer reading and it hurt my brains. Needing something a little more upbeat and optimistic about humanity now so I picked up Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker, my brother just finished Triumphs of experience : the men of the Harvard Grant Study by George E. Vaillant and said it was interesting so that is on reserve at the library next.
        The Lost Book of the Grail sounds good from description so that on is in the que now also.

Comment

[MENTION=12664]joekloo[/MENTION] yeah, I'm really enjoying The Lost Book of the Grail. It's one of the few books I've picked up lately that I don't want to put down. That said, I am a sucker for those historical fiction books too. So it's kind of win-win.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post
              I just purchased Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris. I haven't had a chance to start it yet.
              Sadly, I still haven't finished this book. I read so much for work, I rarely get to read for pleasure. I'm about 80% through it, and I have enjoyed it tremendously. I highly recommend it.

Next on the list is Lonesome Dove.

Comment

I thought this book would be better than it was. But for anyone who has any interest in The Simpon's give it a read. Even if the book is almost 20 years old.

Comment

Ordered a few books to be here shortly:
                  1. The Food Lab by Kenji Lopez-Alt (More of a cookbook than reading book)
                  2. Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood by Michael Lewis
                  3. How Not To Be Wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking by Jordan Ellenberg
                  4. Can You Solve My Problems?: Ingenious, Perplexing, and Totally Satisfying Math and Logic Puzzles by Alex Bellos (Of Numberfile fame) for a fun read

Comment

Currently reading Frank Kafka's The Trail
                    also Selfie by Will Storr

enjoying both so far.

I just finished Homo Deus a couple weeks ago. I didn't really enjoy it nearly as much as Sapiens. I had my hesitations as well, and felt like it didn't deliver.

Comment

[MENTION=2295]Cornflake[/MENTION] I read The Trial a few years back. Absolutely loved it. Made me want to read other Kafka novels/stories, so I quickly followed it up with The Metamorphosis. Another great read.

Comment

Currently reading early Neal Asher Polity universe books. I started with his Transformation series which was great. It's good space opera, certainly not Kafka.

Comment

Just started
                          The long way to a small, angry planet

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

"The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson

I grew up on the south side of Chicago and knew nothing about the Worlds Fair or HH Holmes.

Comment

[MENTION=13895]Erik Pérez[/MENTION] I loved that book. After reading it I went and tracked down other books by Erik Larson. Of them all I enjoyed Devil in the White City the most. That said, I do recommend giving his other stories a read though. Highly entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                                [MENTION=13895]Erik Pérez[/MENTION] I loved that book. After reading it I went and tracked down other books by Erik Larson. Of them all I enjoyed Devil in the White City the most. That said, I do recommend giving his other stories a read though. Highly entertaining.
                                Funny I did the same thing. The only other one I can remember was Thunderstruck, so I recommend that one. Not a good sign I can't remember the others (meaning either they were not that good or old age is making me forgetful, both bad).

Comment

Working...
                                X