X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hornsup84
    replied
    Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
    I just finished reading the last three books of the Ender quartet by Orson Scott Card. I had read the original book "Enders Game" a while ago but but never got around to reading the next three. Needles to say, they are incredible. Card is a phenomenal writer and the books are emotional and philosophical at the same time. Definitely would recommend.
    That's interesting, I've actually been told the opposite -- that they weren't worth reading. Maybe because the first book was so excellent, making it hard to follow up. Might add them to my list after I get through the current reads.

Leave a comment:

• mmgfarb
    replied
    I just finished reading the last three books of the Ender quartet by Orson Scott Card. I had read the original book "Enders Game" a while ago but but never got around to reading the next three. Needles to say, they are incredible. Card is a phenomenal writer and the books are emotional and philosophical at the same time. Definitely would recommend.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied
    Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
    What parts are comically wrong?
    It's been a long time since I've read any -- and haven't read the Associate specifically (although I think I bought a copy once in an airport bookstore that I may still have somewhere). Mainly, it's the idea that being a lawyer is actually exciting and that it gives the perception that being a lawyer is like the book, when it's really a lot more mundane. I think it also has at times junior associates doing WAY more than they would in real life. TV does the same all the time, too (and oftentimes gets the law / legal process wrong in the process, which Grisham typically doesn't, if I recall correctly). I know that's rather vague, but it's been so long since I read one of them, I can't give anything specific.

Leave a comment:

• Pepetito
    replied
    Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I used to read Grisham when I was a kid (my dad always read them, then I got them after). Relatively interesting plots, but the lawyer-related stuff is as you said, comically wrong and/or misrepresented. I get it -- the real life of an attorney is pretty boring and wouldn't sell books -- but I can't really read them anymore in the same way I did before I was an attorney.
    What parts are comically wrong?

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied
    Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    After the post above me, I hate to admit this, but I'm currently reading "The Associate" by John Grisham. Spoiler alert: it's not good. Like, at all. Both of my parents read it and I think they assumed that the life of a big law firm associate is actually as depicted (it's really not), so they both recommended that I read it. It's comically wrong about that life and civil litigation in general. It's also not very well written, with wooden, clichéd dialogue and silly descriptions of people, things, and events. It is a quick read, though, so it's not totally without merit.
    I used to read Grisham when I was a kid (my dad always read them, then I got them after). Relatively interesting plots, but the lawyer-related stuff is as you said, comically wrong and/or misrepresented. I get it -- the real life of an attorney is pretty boring and wouldn't sell books -- but I can't really read them anymore in the same way I did before I was an attorney.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X