No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always thought the concept of Atlas Shrugged was a lot more interesting than the novel itself, but I will give it a lot of credit for inspiring the BioShock games.

I'm still making my way through Citizens but took a break to read A Nice Little Place on the North Side, George Will's reflections on Wrigley Field and Cubs fandom in general - good stuff.
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

I agree. The concept of the book is pretty good. Again, it is one of the few books (Catch-22 being the other) where complete strangers have stopped me to talk about it. Atlas Shrugged seems to be one of those books where everyone has an opinion.

What is Citizens about? I've never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
        I agree. The concept of the book is pretty good. Again, it is one of the few books (Catch-22 being the other) where complete strangers have stopped me to talk about it. Atlas Shrugged seems to be one of those books where everyone has an opinion.

What is Citizens about? I've never heard of it.
        It's an 800ish page history of the French Revolution. Really good and lots of interesting detail, but not a quick read. (e.g. I'm about 375 pages in and the Bastille still remains unstormed)

Comment

Wow. Now that is a heavy book!

Comment

Though I've been struggling to find time for reading recently, a couple plane flights gave me a great opportunity to devour a (relatively) new V.E. Schwab novel called A Darker Shade Of Magic. The characters and world are absolutely enthralling, and I was absolutely unable to put it down.

V.E. Schwab's breakout novel Vicious, which is a rather dark tale of superheroes, is similarly an excellent read and an absolute page-turner.

Having finished that book, I've moved onto some slightly heavier fare: Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel. While it is preposterously dense, it serves as a fascinating exploration of technological/societal divergence among various world populations.
            Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Comment

Wow, the cover art on those V.E.Schwab books is gorgeous. I just might have to check out her books.

Comment

[MENTION=6764]thedrake[/MENTION] Again, highly recommended! I read Vicious in March of last year for the first time, and not one other book topped it for my favorite of the year. I would be unsurprised if A Darker Shade manages the same.
                Duncan

Comment

Wow. I haven't heard of either of those books. Thanks for the recommendation(s). Again, more books to put on the library list. Gesh. The list keeps getting longer and longer, but the time I have available to read them shorter and shorter.

Comment

Not sure if there are any other theology readers here, but I am starting this, love it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      The list keeps getting longer and longer, but the time I have available to read them shorter and shorter.
                      True story, that.
                      Duncan

Comment

I needed a break from Zone so I started Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. I bought this little boxed set of Gaiman books for my daughter because it was on sale, but why do the kids get to have all the fun?

Comment

What book are you currently reading?

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Frederick Nietzsche. I find myself becoming more nihilistic as I age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been reading about former Charleston Mayor Joe Riley. He was Mayor for 40 years! https://www.amazon.com/Mayor-Joe-Ril...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                              I needed a break from Zone so I started Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. I bought this little boxed set of Gaiman books for my daughter because it was on sale, but why do the kids get to have all the fun?
                              Read this last year and loved it, Gaiman is so great.

Comment

I've been sucked into the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. I have a 30-50 minute drive and I find myself getting lost in them. It's a modern noir if you're not familiar.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X