No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just took The Loney out of the library. The book reads like an old time Gothic novel. Starting off kinda creepy. The book was the 2016 British Book of the Year so that might count for something.

Comment

Travels with Charley: in search of America by John Steinbeck.

Comment

New Vince Flynn/Kyle Mills thriller Order to Kill. Mills does a good job echoing Flynn's style, but I wonder how long these will continue on. This is his second Mitch Rapp book, and the first one was partially complete when Flynn died. This one was based mostly on notes. I wonder if Mills will continue to develop the story, or want to work on his own stuff in the future.

Comment

Leviathan Wakes, by James S.A. Corey.
          Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Comment

Choice: Cooperation, Enterprise, and Human Action by Robert P. Murphy - Basically Ludwig von Mises' Human Action, simmered down for the layman.

Comment

King Rat by James Clavell. After 50 pages or so I'm hooked.

Comment

The Poet by Michael Connelly. I'm hooked on his characters. I've started from the beginning and have to continue on. great reads all

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by el_ote View Post
                  The Poet by Michael Connelly. I'm hooked on his characters. I've started from the beginning and have to continue on. great reads all

My favorite author. Keep going through that series

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Finished The Poet. Now The Scarecrow makes more sense. Next up is Paolo Coehlo's The Alchemist. I've listened to the audiobook once before. Time to give it a read before i go back to Harry Bosch's adventures

Comment

The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie - Carnegie was relentlessly positive, incredibly business savvy, and gave almost all of his fortune away for greater purposes. Highly, highly recommend it if you're at all interested in business, philanthropy, or American history... and can make it through ~850 pages.

Comment

Re-reading William Gibson's Spook Country because I just got it back from loaning it out and it's awesome.

Comment

[MENTION=6764]thedrake[/MENTION] I've read that whole series of books by Gibson's. Fine reading if I do say so myself.

Comment

I'm about 100 or so pages into this doorstopper. It's excellent, but going to take a while to get through.

I'm also re-reading the Sherlock Holmes stories when I feel like a break - perfect for reading while watching the snow fall.
                            “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                            "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Reading Millionaire Next Door because it was free via Amazon Prime Reading. I'm not that far into it yet (still on rule #1 of 7 total), but I can't say I'm that impressed. It's like reading a mix of Malcolm Gladwell and Freakonomics, except a little more repetitive and less off-the-wall interesting. To summarize (since they did that in the first intro chapter and I haven't gotten much new insight since), the average millionaire isn't flashy, they're cheap, they budget, and they're conservative in thinking (and don't get divorced, move, change jobs, etc.). It's a bit dated in terms of some items, as it was written in the mid/late 90s. I'm fine reading through that sort of dating, but part of the issue I have is the inference of causation it has for general traits it found via the surveys that the authors did prior to writing the book. Given these surveys were done in the mid/late 90s, when most people's investments hadn't had a bad day in 15-20 years, query whether the 'reasons' given for a lot of the millionaires being millionaires actually were in fact material in making such persons millionaires... or if they were tangential to effectively these folks being on a really big rising tide. Obviously spending less than you earn / investing wisely make a difference, but how many people would be in the same spot if they did the surveys 5 years later after the tech bubble? Or how many people take the same path and DON'T become millionaires?

I understand what they're trying to do, but it's a bit biased in tone for obvious reasons. While some of the stats are interesting, it isn't really all that surprising. If it wanted to be a stats book, it should be a little more scientific (which I'm cool with). If it wanted to be a motivational book, fine but that isn't how it's really branded. I'm still reading it, but not sure if I'll have the tenacity to stick with it all the way through assuming it'll continue to have more repetition after repetition.

Comment

I am a couple chapters into Zone by Mathias Enard and it is great so far https://www.amazon.com/Zone-Mathias-...+mathias+enard. Translated from french, the book is one run-on sentence broken up by chapters. The introduction does a really good job of getting you in the mindset to read the damn thing and once you get going the writing is great. That being said, it is one long run-on sentence and I do have to re-read sections because either I lost track of where I was or my mind wandered. I have to be in the right mood to want to read it.

Comment

Working...
                                X