No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently reading 'What has government done to our money' by Murray Rothbard. It's a very interesting description of what money is and how it came to be, followed by a thorough analysis of how the government essentially destroyed it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

I am currently reading "The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution" by Richard Dawkins. Absolutely fascinating read. Should be mandatory reading for all humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=11780]CMAc7[/MENTION] agreed! That book is a fascinating read. Another good book to read is God Is Not Great. I highly recommend it.

Comment

For you folks interested in Dawkins and Hitchens, a good book that offers the other side of this argument is The Everlasting Man, by G.K. Chesterton. Just finished it a couple weeks ago.

Another book (albeit a bit more feisty) that challenges Hitchens, Dawkins, and other Evolutionary philosophers ideas, is The Devil's Delusion, by David Berlinski.

Now I am finishing up The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, by William Shirer.

Comment

i'm sure whomever has probably posted about it a million times, but Infinite Jest is so wonderful. it never fails to get me a chuckle.

Comment

My hat's off to you sir for being able to finish that book (Infinite Jest). I have tried on a couple of occasions to get through the book and have never been able to make it.

Comment

I read A Brief History of Seven Killings over a trip earlier this month. Still not sure how I feel about it (will be discussing it at book club shortly). I was stopped and asked about it by more people than any other book I've read recently, though. Intriguing peek at some very recent Caribbena history I had no idea about (some of it speculative retelling, though).

I also read Case Histories by Kate Atkinson (it was fine) and now I'm in the midst of A Legacy by Sybile Bedford (which has not really gotten going yet). I'm really intrigued by the recent Nobel Prize winner Secondhand Time. That might be next up.

Comment

[MENTION=2598]redbeardedmike[/MENTION] I bailed on A Brief History. I managed to get approx 60 pages in and I couldn't take it anymore. The subject, while interesting to me, didn't hold my attention. I really, really wanted to give the book a go as I heard good things about it. Yet I just couldn't do it. I'm interested in hearing your take though. Was it worth it? Maybe I need to give it a try again...

I just took this biography of Robert Plant out of the library. Haven't started it yet, but I am looking forward to reading all about the man.

Comment

Gonna reread Silence by Shusaku Endo (one of my favorite novels) since I read somewhere yesterday that the film adaptation is going to be released in December.
                    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      [MENTION=2598]redbeardedmike[/MENTION] I bailed on A Brief History. I managed to get approx 60 pages in and I couldn't take it anymore. The subject, while interesting to me, didn't hold my attention. I really, really wanted to give the book a go as I heard good things about it. Yet I just couldn't do it. I'm interested in hearing your take though. Was it worth it? Maybe I need to give it a try again...

So I think that the book had some strong points and a real sense of place. But ultimately, I'm not sure what the multiple narrators, the length, and the structure did for the story. I haven't formed my thoughts completely, but not sure I'm feeling all the awards for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothy View Post
                        For you folks interested in Dawkins and Hitchens, a good book that offers the other side of this argument is The Everlasting Man, by G.K. Chesterton. Just finished it a couple weeks ago.
                        Love GKC, I probably re-read some combination of Orthodoxy, The Everlasting Man, and The Man Who Was Thursday every couple of years.

Hearkening back to the Neal Stephenson discussion a couple pages back, I read Zodiac over Labor Day weekend, not my favorite of his but still a fun read. Also recently read Charles Portis' True Grit (quick and fun as well, Mattie Ross is a hilarious narrator) and Alistair McLean's HMS Ulysses, a good but pretty brutal novel about a British naval convoy on the Russian resupply route during WWII.
                        “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                        "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

What book are you currently reading?

I just started Camus's "The Stranger" today. Though I generally lean toward an absurdist or nihilistic world view, I am a little startled by the callousness of the narrator thus far.

Comment

Just finished Your Favorite Bad is Killing Me: What Pop Music Rivalries Reveal About the Meaning of Life by Steven Hyden. It is a quick read, and has an interesting take on the feuds between fans of groups like Pearl Jam v Nirvana, Biggie v Tupac and the like. Its a light read, easy to dip in and out of, and if you have a passing interest in popular music, somewhat interesting. As with any book based upon broad categorizations, I found myself disagreeing with the author on occasion (especially when politics made an appearance) but I appreciated why I always preferred Oasis to Blur, and all that that entails.

It reminds me a bit of the 33 and 1/3 series of books where authors write short novellas surrounding an album.The series of books are not just a "behind the music" account of music making and are well worth exploring.

I started Funny Girl by Nick Hornby, who wrote my favorite book High Fidelity. For the record, I do read books about things other than pop culture, but these are just a few.

Comment

Just downloaded that to take on the upcoming trip to Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Its gonna be bleak and windswept, why not some Camus?

Comment

Just started reading The Hidden Keys. Story deals with a thief, family heirlooms, and a mystery as to how they all tie together. So far, after 60 pages or so, I'm still liking the book.

Comment

Working...
                                X