No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just came back from holidays and read some kick ass books.

First up - The Dead Duke, His Secret Wife, and the Missing Corpse. A great true life mystery about a man who was identified as being dead, but was then found out to be alive. Or was he? Anyone who loves true crime style books will enjoy this one.

Second up - The Unconquered. This of this book as a true life heart of darkness adventure. Author Scott Wallace goes deep in to the Amazon in search of an indian tribe that's never seen a white man on been in contact with the outside. Fascinating reading.

Comment

I just read The Cartel by Don Wilson and enjoyed it.

Comment

I just finished up The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin https://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Season-...TF8#nav-subnav
        Awesome book, best thing I've read this year. It just won the Hugo for best novel and I can see why.

Comment

Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson

Historical fiction... very long book... I'm about 30% through it and not quite sure what I think yet. This is my 3rd time trying to read it, I've gotten further into it this time and definitely think I'm going to finish it, but it hasn't quite grabbed me like other Stephenson books I've read. Yet. It may still. Reamde also didn't grab me until a bit later, but once it did I didn't want to put it down.

Comment

[MENTION=12417]ardichoke[/MENTION] stick with Quicksilver if you can. I read the entire Baroque Cycle and thought it was brilliant. At times it did get a bit long in the tooth, but overall I couldn't put the books down. If you're struggling a bit, have you read Cryptonomicon? It is a prequel to the whole series. Again, a great book. Infact I think I liked Crypto better than Quicksilver.

Comment

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] I have not read the Cryptonomicon yet, though it has been on my (extremely long) to-read list for a while. I guess I never realized it was a direct prequel. Either way, I'm planning to finish Quicksilver this time, though I'm unsure if I will continue with the Baroque Cycle afterwards. I think it's back to The Dark Tower series after this to read the last two books.

Comment

I'm surprised how well Cryptonomicon's tech-world held up when I read it over a decade after it was published.

Comment

I'm not sure I would consider Cryptonomicon a sequel. The stories are definitely connected though. It's also one of my favorite books. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Cryptonomicon is one of my favorite books as well, Stephenson is just awesome. Reading the entire Baroque Cycle is definitely an investment but IMO it all paid off in the third volume, and the Cryptonomicon connections add another layer of enjoyment. On a related note, I'm taking Stephenson's Zodiac with me on vacation later this week, one of the few books of his I haven't read yet.
                    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Zodiac. Nice book. Took a bit for me to get in to it, but once I did, I couldn't put the book down. Good holiday choice.

I'm giving Philip K. Dick a shot right now. His anthology of stories called "Four Novels form the 1960s" is a new direction for me. The stories are labelled as Science Fiction and generally speaking I'm not a Sci Fi reader; despite having read a bunch of Neil Stephenson in my time. Anyway. I'm must starting the first novel of the four and it is taking a bit for me to get hooked. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Been reading the book Stoner by John Williams. The book is not about drug use, but about the life and times of fictional character William Stoner. It is a fascinating read, despite starting out slow. I'm very much enjoying the book.

Comment

Just started reading The Phoenix Project. For ANYONE who works in either a) and IT department of b) a startup company, this book is for you. Honestly. After 20 pages or so in, I'm hooked.

Comment

Two Days in June. History of Kennedy's American University speech and a Civil Rights Act speech the next day in June 1963. The concept is intriguing, and it's well-written so far, but I'm only about 20% of the way in.

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Days-June...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Comment

Beloved by Corinne Michael
                              Don't be afraid of dressing up...please.

Comment

I take back my recommendation for The Phoenix Project. Ugh After 200 so pages I ended up hating the book and stopped reading.

I'm now reading By Gaslight. A detective novel based on the life of William Pinkerton of the same detective agency fame.

Comment

Working...
                                X