No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm reading Girl in a Band right now. If you're a Sonic Youth fan, then this is the book for you.

[MENTION=15645]highzoot[/MENTION] Thanks for the recommendation re The Goldfinch. I've heard about this book before but have yet to pick it up. Maybe I'll check it out as a summer read.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
      I'm reading Girl in a Band right now. If you're a Sonic Youth fan, then this is the book for you.

[MENTION=15645]highzoot[/MENTION] Thanks for the recommendation re The Goldfinch. I've heard about this book before but have yet to pick it up. Maybe I'll check it out as a summer read.
      I am a Sonic Youth fan. I just picked Daydream Nation up on vinyl and it's a great disc to spin. I saw Kim Gordon on tour with The Breeders at a small venue here in Boise last summer. Great show.

The Goldfinch is a fast read. Donna Tartt's first book, A Secret History, is a personal fave.

Comment

Having read Justin Cronin's other books (The Twelve was fantastic) I am very much looking forward to giving this book a read. I'm lead to believe it is the final book/story in the trilogy so I'm interested to see where the author goes with it.

Comment

I just finished Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan https://www.amazon.com/Altered-Carbo.../dp/0345457684 and it was a pretty solid cyber punk story. Not amazing, but it scratched the itch if you're into that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by highzoot View Post
            Trouble Boys by Bob Mehr - biography of the band The Replacements. Perfect for killing time on the plane.
            What did you think of this? Haven't read it yet despite the Mats being my favorite band, worth checking out?

Having read Justin Cronin's other books (The Twelve was fantastic) I am very much looking forward to giving this book a read. I'm lead to believe it is the final book/story in the trilogy so I'm interested to see where the author goes with it.

Just read this and enjoyed it, for what it's worth, how are you liking it so far? (I also shared a few thoughts on the trilogy as a whole a page or two back in this thread).
            “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
            "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

[QUOTE=Sideswipe;249163]What did you think of this? Haven't read it yet despite the Mats being my favorite band, worth checking out?

If the Mats are your favorite band, then it's a must read. There are lesser known tidbits about the band that give you insight into why they did what they did. That being said, this book also frustrated me as a fan of the band because they did so many self-sabotaging things that kept them from being successful. Ah well, I guess if they had been more successful they wouldn't have been The Replacements!

Comment

[QUOTE=highzoot;249164]
                Originally posted by Sideswipe View Post
                What did you think of this? Haven't read it yet despite the Mats being my favorite band, worth checking out?

If the Mats are your favorite band, then it's a must read. There are lesser known tidbits about the band that give you insight into why they did what they did. That being said, this book also frustrated me as a fan of the band because they did so many self-sabotaging things that kept them from being successful. Ah well, I guess if they had been more successful they wouldn't have been The Replacements!
                yeah the self-sabotage and the interpersonal stuff, esp. with regard to Bob, is exactly why I've been hesitant, I feel like I'll be reading some parts through my fingers like a horror movie. I'll likely get over it and read it soon though - thanks!

Comment

[MENTION=7232]Sideswipe[/MENTION] Ok first up don't tell me the end yet!!! Second up, I am enjoying the book a lot. So much so that I'm having a hard time putting the book down. Whenever I have a free moment I'm giving the book a read. I want to know how the whole thing ends, which is probably fueling my desire to see it through. I did take me a while to get in to the book though since I forgot a bit about the story-line, but now that I'm back in to it, it's pretty good.

Comment

Just picked up this book by Bill Bryon. As a Bryson fan, I have high hopes going in. Looks like it might be a good summer book.

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                      I just finished Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan https://www.amazon.com/Altered-Carbo.../dp/0345457684 and it was a pretty solid cyber punk story. Not amazing, but it scratched the itch if you're into that sort of thing.
                      I read that several years ago. Loved the premise of backing up your consciousness on HDD, but thought the story was meh. I think that was my last hurrah with cyber punk, which was not a particularly stirring sendoff.

Comment

I am on a total book kick ass right now. I have read two books and they are freaking awesome.

First up: The Lost Book Moses. This book was one I couldn't put down. A non fiction book, the author chronicles his travels around the world looking for version 1.0 of the bible. Fascinating reading, and I am not a religious guy. Seriously. If you have any interest in a real life detective novel, give this book a read.

Next up is The Secret History. This is a fiction book, but the mystery/plot is one of that is gripping. I'm still starting this book I'm at the 70 page mark) but so far I can't put it down. In short the novel is about a group of students, studying under an eccentric university prof. And of course, one of them gets killed/murdered and the story goes from there. Love it.

And [MENTION=7232]Sideswipe[/MENTION] I finished the whole trilogy now. I must confess that I enjoyed it. I'd definitely recommend the book to others.

Comment

Just ordered Left of Boom off amazon. Should be here shortly. Professional development. :P
                          https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I am on a total book kick ass right now. I have read two books and they are freaking awesome.

First up: The Lost Book Moses. This book was one I couldn't put down. A non fiction book, the author chronicles his travels around the world looking for version 1.0 of the bible. Fascinating reading, and I am not a religious guy. Seriously. If you have any interest in a real life detective novel, give this book a read.

Next up is The Secret History. This is a fiction book, but the mystery/plot is one of that is gripping. I'm still starting this book I'm at the 70 page mark) but so far I can't put it down. In short the novel is about a group of students, studying under an eccentric university prof. And of course, one of them gets killed/murdered and the story goes from there. Love it.

And [MENTION=7232]Sideswipe[/MENTION] I finished the whole trilogy now. I must confess that I enjoyed it. I'd definitely recommend the book to others.
                            Secret History is really quite good. I know her other novel, Goldfinch, won the Pulitzer, so I've considered giving that a try, but it's similarly long (800 or 900 pages, if memory serves), so I'm loathe to do it right now when I have a lot going on at work.

Comment

Yeah I liked it a lot too. Midway through I was concerned that it was bogging down slightly with all of the Zero backstory, but by the end I was glad to have that context. What I really liked and was intrigued by throughout the trilogy was how the story wove in the references from the far-future (the "North American Reclamation Project" or whatever it was called), and was glad to see that pay off in a big way in the conclusion. The ending was just really well done overall.

Currently on a bit of a history/historical fiction kick, so I've reading some of the Aubrey-Maturin novels as well as The Days of the French Revolution by Christopher Hibbert for some historical context.

Comment

14, by Peter Clines. Fantastic, fast-paced Lovecraftian horror. Bonus points for being creepy but not making me too existentially terrified.
                                Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Comment

Working...
                                X