No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] that's actually right up my alley. I'll add that to my list!

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
      Just finished Nemesis Games, the latest in the Expanse science fiction series (first season wrapped up earlier this year on SyFy). Great story and world-building by the authors across the 5 books in the series (a 6th is slated for release this fall and I can't wait).

@Sideswipe how do you like the Passage series? I read the first book right after it was released and really enjoyed it but haven't read the subsequent books and don't know if I wanna pick them back up now having forgotten the events of the first.
      @losrockets
      I hear you, I've been reading them as they've been released and have had to make liberal use of Wikipedia summaries each time to get myself back up to speed with the previous release.

Overall thoughts on the series so far: I really liked the first third and last third (roughly) of the first book, but thought the stuff at the settlement/colony/whatever bogged things down a bit in the middle. IMO the second book was an improvement on the first and kept things moving along a bit quicker. Without giving away too much (and from what I remember 3+ years ago) it was a bit more of a conventional "build-up to the big confrontation" storyline in line with The Stand and wove together some of the various characters & plot threads pretty well.

So far the third one is jumping around in time and between characters quite a bit, but there are some hints as to what the endgame is going to look like. Overall I wouldn't say the series is essential reading, but it's definitely keeping my interest enough to see it through to the end.

To your other comment, I don't know much about The Expanse series but I've heard positive buzz about it, sounds like you'd recommend?
      “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
      "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

I just picked this book out from the library. I think it was a recommended book of 2015, maybe even winning or taking home some kind of literary prize. Anyway, I'd love to tell you all more about the book but the background cover just gives some vague description. As I make my way though the story, if it is any good I'll post something.

Comment

An assortment of books by Christopher Moore, including Fluke, Island of the Sequined Love Nun, and the Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove. They're light-hearted, witty popcorn novels, which I used to fill train rides while I've been traveling. Good if you need some well-written brain candy.
          Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Comment

The only book from Christopher Moore I've read is Lamb. I keep meaning to pick up another book by him but there are just so many novels/books out there that I continually get sidetracked.

Comment

Try 'A Dirty Job' by Christopher Moore. It's fantastic!
              instagram.com/cutandbasted
              cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

Just finished The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break by Steven Sherrill. Fantastic book! Just started The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. I'm about 45 pages in, and have no idea what's going on.
                instagram.com/cutandbasted
                cutandbasted.tumblr.com

Comment

Ok, I had to bail on Martin John. Just wasn't doing it for me and there are far FAR too many good books to read. So now I'm giving The Agony and the Ecstasy a go. The book is all about Michelangelo. So far, I'm loving it. Easy to read and filled with historial fiction.

Comment

Just picked up this book from the library. Not sure where or how I heard about it, but after a couple of pages in, it looks like it will be alright. Esp. if you have ever suffered from insomnia.

Had to jam out of The Agony and the Ecstasy. The book was well written, but having already read a book about Michaelaneglo, I found The A and the E to be a rehash of what I already knew/read.

Comment

Been reading Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter. Not to be confused with recent The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, which is also on my list.

I'm really enjoying it, an intriguingly written character. If you enjoy stories involving Bawdy female characters, freak shows, turn of the century settings you might look into it. Including, but not limited to, lush language and good turns of phrase. Hopefully it will continue strong.

Comment

After finishing up Sleep (which was just meh) I have started in on this novel. I'm only a couple of pages in at the moment, but the underlying dysfunction of the seemingly happily married couple is starting to pull me in.

Comment

Nearing completion of A Manual for Cleaning Women by Lucia Berlin.

This is an anthology of short stories that I am really enjoying. She writes in some sparse, Hemingwayesque prose (and many stories feature exotic locations and drinking to boot). I don't always recommend short story collections, but there is enough thematic resonance from piece to piece (as well as reused names, occupations, and seeming references to similar events in other stories) that they all hang together. There is a wry commentary on privilege, sympathy for those making poor choices, and some meditations on otherness while living abroad. She has a real sensibility to her story telling.

I don't think these were written to be taken as a whole, but I've also purposely not read much about the author before reading it. Many of the stories feature a character named Lucia. While the evocative and haunting prose is what makes me recommend it I am also engaged in the game of 'which details are autobiographical.'

Goof stuff.

Comment

An anthology of Kierkegaard. Fun stuff.

Comment

A few at the moment...

In the car (audiobook): The Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (Outlander #4)

On my Kindle: A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire #4)

And some non-fiction: The Myth of the Robber Barons: A New Look at the Rise of Big Business in America by Burton W. Folsom and Forrest McDonald

The Myth of the Robber Barons is a particularly fascinating read, which is very relevant today given all of the political noise around ideas of the "greedy 1%", etc...

Comment

I'm new to the Dappered forums and happy to find this thread. I'm currently reading Above the Waterfall by Ron Rash. Heard an old interview with the author on Fresh Air. I'm about 100 pages in and really enjoying this story of contemporary Appalachia.

Recently finished these while on vacation, all recommended:
                                The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - a Pulitzer prize winner so certainly not an uncommon book on "to read" lists.
                                Trouble Boys by Bob Mehr - biography of the band The Replacements. Perfect for killing time on the plane.
                                Volt: Stories by Alan Heathcock - a collection of dark short stories. Highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                                X