What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    Just started reading Underworld by Don DeLillo. Man this is a beast of a book. Not sure I'll make it through, but we'll see.

[MENTION=12652]ForeverGuest[/MENTION] have you finished City On Fire yet? If so, what did you think? I finished it on the weekend.
    Any connection in the timing of this post to the long article about Ben Rhodes in the NYT?

Comment

[MENTION=11125]burban[/MENTION] nope. None. Why? What did Ben Rhodes have to say about it? For me it's just been a book that I've wanted to read for a while now and am only getting around to it now.

Comment

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] Rhodes is a big fan of DeLillo, and the author draws a comparison of Underworld to 9/11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I admit I did not get through Underworld when I tried to read it back when it came out. Loved White Noise though.

Comment

White Noise was/is an excellent book. That's part of the reason I decided to give Underworld a go.

Comment

Been reading Undermajordomo Minor. I really enjoyed The Sisters Brothers and so far, Undermajordomo Minor has not disappointed.

Comment

Just finished this book. It's kind of a ghost story light. Quick read, good characters, not a bad plot. If you're looking for a cottage read, this might be it.

Comment

I'm reading The Burglar's Guide to the City http://www.amazon.com/Burglars-Guide.../dp/0374117268 and so far it's just ok. The writing is serviceable, not great. The same book, written by John McPhee, would have been amazing. Geoff Manaugh, not so much.

Comment

I am reading Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle.
                    It is a response to HP Lovecraft's work that he loved reading, but didn't care for his racism.
                    It's a great novella that I am going to teach to my 12th grade class.

Comment

The Water is Wide- Pat Conroy

Comment

Loving this book right now. Totally makes me want to quit everything and go for a 6 month hike on the Appalachian Trail.

Comment

Just finished The Martian, which I enjoyed a lot. I initially thought the smart-ass narration would wear thin over 400+ pages, but turned out not to be the case - I think mixing things up by weaving in Watney's dialogue with NASA and the occasional shift to third-person ("the astronaut went to one knee and pumped his fist several times as he gazed at the MAV" or whatever) was a good move in that regard.

Currently reading City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin, third and final book in The Passage series.
                          “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                          "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

There's a chance this isn't the most obvious title for a men's style forum, but I just read in two sittings Shrill by Lindy West. Yes, this is a collection of feminist essays, but it's also about empowerment, self image, comedy, politics, and vulnerability. I'd especially recommend it to anyone raising daughters. Or anyone who works with women. Or knows women. Or who has ever talked to women. Or to anyone who has ever felt or been made to feel ashamed or unsafe. I'd also recommend it to anyone who thinks feminists are whiners or that the real problem with society is that it's too politically correct and sensitive. Even if you won't necessarily agree with the underlying points she makes, she articulates them so well that it can add a level of understanding to issues that many men simply dismiss or ignore altogether.

Comment

Just finished Nemesis Games, the latest in the Expanse science fiction series (first season wrapped up earlier this year on SyFy). Great story and world-building by the authors across the 5 books in the series (a 6th is slated for release this fall and I can't wait).

@Sideswipe how do you like the Passage series? I read the first book right after it was released and really enjoyed it but haven't read the subsequent books and don't know if I wanna pick them back up now having forgotten the events of the first.

Comment

[MENTION=7232]Sideswipe[/MENTION] I felt the same way in reading The Martian. Am I going to be able to put up with the smugness of the author/protagonist for the whole book? Turns out, I did. And I thought it was a pretty good book to boot!

Just started reading a non-fiction book about the art world. Only 50 pages or so in, but fascinating reading for anyone who is interest in black market art.

Comment

Working...
                                X