No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading City on Fire now. So far it's ok. Not gripping me like I'd hoped. But still, ok.

Comment

Michael Connelly's The Black Echo.

great book. could hardly put it down.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by el_ote View Post
        Michael Connelly's The Black Echo.

great book. could hardly put it down.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
        One of my favorite authors.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
          Reading City on Fire now. So far it's ok. Not gripping me like I'd hoped. But still, ok.
          Oh man. I'm reading this right now and am so into it. How far in are you? I started about a week ago and am about 350 pages in. I'll give you the pacing is a little slow, but it's 1000 pages, so I expected that a bit. The writing is tight as a drum. It's so carefully crafted. I live for that stuff.

Comment

[MENTION=12652]ForeverGuest[/MENTION] I am about as far in to the book as you are. I am having a hard time keeping up with it. Probably because of the reason you suggested; the pacing is a little slow. I keep meaning to go back to it, but I think the library is going to want this book back before I get much further. Perhaps I'll see if I can renew it.

Comment

Recently read The Man Without a Face, a biography of Vladimir Putin by Masha Gessen. As effed-up as America is, it definitely made me grateful to live in a country that at least makes an effort at the rule of law.
              Ben

Comment

[MENTION=12652]ForeverGuest[/MENTION] I am about as far in to the book as you are. I am having a hard time keeping up with it. Probably because of the reason you suggested; the pacing is a little slow. I keep meaning to go back to it, but I think the library is going to want this book back before I get much further. Perhaps I'll see if I can renew it.
                I find this happens a lot in longer books. I teach English and sometimes have to remind my students that 350 pages is a lot to read, but in terms of proportion it represents only 1/3 of the book, like the first 100 in a conventional novel. It's all setup at that point, which is hard because you're putting so much into it. But hopefully the payoff is that much greater. I usually go by the level of craft in the writing to help determine whether it's worth it. So far, it seems Hallberg is talented as hell. I feel like we're in good hands.

Comment

Just finished Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. Just started Washington: A Life also by Chernow. I teach U.S. history so I tend to read quite a few biographies of the Founders.

Comment

[MENTION=12652]ForeverGuest[/MENTION] ok. I renewed the book out of the library. I have it until May 21st. I'd expect to finish it by then. But I am noticing as I am getting more in to it, the story is starting to pick up some. But man you were right. I did take a long while to get in to the story.

Comment

Finished Dead Wake and enjoyed it (as much as you can enjoy a book about a preventable disaster).

Currently reading a bunch of Elmore Leonard, specifically the Raylan Givens books, inspired by recently watching the Justified series finale.
                      “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                      "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Just started The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood http://www.amazon.com/Handmaids-Tale.../dp/1480560103. It's cranking out some serious dystopian vibes.

Comment

Originally posted by praxishumanus View Post
                          Just finished Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. Just started Washington: A Life also by Chernow. I teach U.S. history so I tend to read quite a few biographies of the Founders.
                          Yowza, two doorstops. I've read Joseph Ellis' Washington bio and want to read Chernow's, but figured I'd start with a 300 pager before going on to 800+.

Comment

Just finished The Run of His Life: The People vs. O.J. Simpson, the book by Jeffrey Rosen on which the FX series was based. Very entertaining. Rosen is a good writer, if a little full of himself and he clearly had his favorites and not-so-favorites among the folks involved. I did enjoy that he actually gave his own view of the evidence at the end.

Spoiler alert: O.J was acquitted.

Comment

Just started reading Underworld by Don DeLillo. Man this is a beast of a book. Not sure I'll make it through, but we'll see.

[MENTION=12652]ForeverGuest[/MENTION] have you finished City On Fire yet? If so, what did you think? I finished it on the weekend.

Comment

[MENTION=12652]ForeverGuest[/MENTION] have you finished City On Fire yet? If so, what did you think? I finished it on the weekend.
                                Not yet. Next week is finals week and I've been reading and grading student drafts and portfolios until my eyes bleed. Reading for pleasure has taken a back seat. I'll probably get back into it in the next couple days and let you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X