No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie for a book club last week. Starting in on The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander for next month.
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
      I know this is not a TV thread, but I noticed Childhood's End has been made in to a TV show on the SyFy channel. I read this book in school. I doubt I will check out the show, but if any of you do (and you've read the book) I'd be interested in hearing what you thought.
      I really enjoyed the book & have been wanting to read it again; I may have enjoyed it more than 2001. But I have no interest in someone's screen version of it.

Originally posted by redbeardedmike View Post
      I'm in an all-male book club (which seems kind of like a unicorn sometimes)
      Indeed.

I'm nearing the end of Foundation & not nearly as enamored with it as when I began. So it goes.

Comment

I very rarely will watch a TV/Movie of a book. I find the TV/Movie never lives up to how good the book was. The only exception was/is The Martian. I thought they did a pretty good job of matching the book.

Comment

My to-read list just got longer this evening thanks to this thread and my Kindle app. Station Eleven and The Importance of Being Ernest are now awaiting me. So many books...so little time.

Comment

Working through Ben Bernanke's memoir from the financial crisis: The Courage to Act. Given my screen name I'm obviously biased, but it's a fantastic inside look in how these people busted their asses to keep a bad situation from getting much worse.

Comment

"The Life Changing Magic of Tidying-Up" by Marie Kondo.
              Truly it has changed my life and the way I look at my clothes and wardrobe.

Comment

Hunger Makes me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein. Anyone who liked the band Sleater-Kinney would enjoy this book.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  Hunger Makes me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein. Anyone who liked the band Sleater-Kinney would enjoy this book.
                  S-K is one of my favorite bands of all time, and Carrie was my 90s dream girl (still is). I was so surprised how good the new album is. I have been meaning to grab this book from the library.
                  We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Listening to "Careless in Red" By Elizabeth George on my commute to & from work. It's a, who done it book that has kept me interested so far.

I'm also reading the first Harry Potter if i get a few minutes before bed.

Comment

Finally managed to pick up a book again. Man it has been FOREVER. I am currently reading The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler. The book was a 2001 Time Top Ten book so I figured why not? The book is a mystery novel dealing with the complete killing of family and the circumstances of their death. A quick and easy read.

Comment

Hah, was looking for this thread at the bottom of the list because I didn't see it had already bumped to the top.

I just started The English Patient and I'm really enjoying it so far. Great writing and the characters are very interesting.

Comment

Maybe I'll Pitch Forever, Satchel Paige's autobiography as told to David Lipman

Half-way through and so entertaining. Paige's anecdotes are humorous and informative, particularly the parts pertaining to the Negro League.

Comment

Reading The Sun Also Rises again. One of my favorites.
                            We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Just started Woman with a Gun by Phillip Margolin. So far, so good.

Comment

I finished Dead Wake and enjoyed it. Changing gears and read 5th wave with my daughter. And the second book as well. Not bad for low thinking fun. Now we are waiting on the third so I am reading The Escape, a Baldacci book. More mindless fun. Most of my books are that actually. Fun reading breaks at lunch help break up my day.

Comment

Working...
                                X