Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
    What parts are comically wrong?
    A lot of wrong details add up. What was most glaring to me is that Grisham gets the litigation process wrong, from the order in which things happen in a case to the speed with which they happen, to the motivations for doing them. He also describes the way big firm lawyers spend their time in ways that are obviously heightened and exaggerated in order to serve the narrative, which is fine, but the absurd extent to which he does so was distracting to me.

Also, I just finished the book last night and it ends with a big ol' nothing. Seriously, the climax of the conflict was "apparently super intelligent protagonist does what everybody knew he should have from the outset" and the resolution is "and then nothing happened. The end." I get that this isn't great literature, but pulpy genre fiction should have a good story and this one just didn't at all. It was the least thrilling thriller I've ever encountered.

But it's entirely possible I'm just a wet blanket. I've been told I'm a real pain in the ass to watch Law and Order with, too.

Comment

Thanks. Not an attorney. Was curious

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
        But it's entirely possible I'm just a wet blanket. I've been told I'm a real pain in the ass to watch Law and Order with, too.
        I've been told I'm a terror to watch anything legal-related as well. Seems like lawyers (or at least me) have a hard time keeping shut when something is misrepresented or incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Soleful Strut View Post
          Any Kingkiller fans read "The Slow Regard of Silent Things"?
          YES, I really liked it. It was a perfectly small, weird, and personal story.

I think I said previously that I wasn't really enjoying Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. Well, by the time I finished I was totally hooked and now I've finished Green Mars and I'm reading Blue Mars right now. Really good books.

Comment

So I finished Musashi, which was very enjoyable though the conclusion was abrupt. Fitting for a Japanese novel & their Zen eccentricities of course, but it left me wanting for closure.

I read a few stories out of The Young Oxford book of Timewarp Stories, which included Bradbury's "The Sound of Thunder" and realized I have been neglecting my Sci-Fi collection. So I have begun Asimov's Foundation series. And then subsequently concluded I have neglected Asimov dearly & must also read his Robot series, of which I have only scratched the surface with the shorts of "Robot Dreams". In either case, Foundation is gaining steam quickly.

Comment

This may have already been mentioned, but I've just picked up "Love is a Dog From Hell" by Charles Bukowski.

Amazing collection of dirty realism, pulp fiction style poetry. I've read it several times, and enjoy it more each time.
              We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by APinNC View Post
                This may have already been mentioned, but I've just picked up "Love is a Dog From Hell" by Charles Bukowski.

Amazing collection of dirty realism, pulp fiction style poetry. I've read it several times, and enjoy it more each time.
                Awesome. Love me some Bukowski. One of my favorite afternoons in college was spent in the special collections section of the library leafing through their collection of Bukowski's notebooks and typewritten manuscripts. Fascinating stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                  I've been told I'm a terror to watch anything legal-related as well. Seems like lawyers (or at least me) have a hard time keeping shut when something is misrepresented or incorrect.
                  I think this is the norm. Whenever I asked my lawyer friends if they ever watched Law and Order, I thought they were going to murder me.

Comment

Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
                    I just finished reading the last three books of the Ender quartet by Orson Scott Card. I had read the original book "Enders Game" a while ago but but never got around to reading the next three. Needles to say, they are incredible. Card is a phenomenal writer and the books are emotional and philosophical at the same time. Definitely would recommend.
                    Damn it. I thought I left that series behind long ago. I only read Ender's Game. Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. Is Children of the Mind awesome? I assume it picks up where xenocide left off?

Comment

Originally posted by Manceptional View Post
                      Damn it. I thought I left that series behind long ago. I only read Ender's Game. Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. Is Children of the Mind awesome? I assume it picks up where xenocide left off?
                      Yes it does pick up where Xenocide left off and yes, it is awesome. If you liked the first three I don't see how you couldn't finish the series. Not to spoil anything but it does get a little sad and emotional though it's a great read nonetheless. Card is an incredible writer and the way he wraps up the series is great IMO.

Comment

you win. Once I finish the Man in the High Castle, that'll be my next read. Thanks.

Comment

I know this is not a TV thread, but I noticed Childhood's End has been made in to a TV show on the SyFy channel. I read this book in school. I doubt I will check out the show, but if any of you do (and you've read the book) I'd be interested in hearing what you thought.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                            I quite enjoyed Station Eleven. I'll be interested to hear your take on it.

[MENTION=2333]Soleful Strut[/MENTION] thanks to the recommendation. I'll be sure to check it out.
                            So I enjoyed the book. It's definitely a genre-type book, but it is thoughtfully written and made me think about the civilization/society that was lost. There are also some beautiful passages. I'm not sure I'd have nominated it for the National Book Award, but I'll certainly recommend it. I'm not sure all the jumping around between narratives and time periods made for a better whole, though.

Of all the characters depicted, I enjoyed reading about Miranda the most. I'm in an all-male book club (which seems kind of like a unicorn sometimes), and one thing I'm not seeing all that often is people suggesting books written by women authors or featuring female main characters. I need some of that for balance. I thought the Miranda story was beautifully told - and featured the insight that a female viewpoint could bring. It was the best thing about the book for me.
                            Last edited by redbeardedmike; January 29, 2016, 01:35 PM.

Comment

@redbeardmike thanks for the comments. I enjoyed Station Eleven. I thought the story was well written and managed to stay on point. I am generally a fan of these 'end of days' type of novels. This one managed to pull of the end of the world stuff without being completely bleak. I may look for other books by this author.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                                I know this is not a TV thread, but I noticed Childhood's End has been made in to a TV show on the SyFy channel. I read this book in school. I doubt I will check out the show, but if any of you do (and you've read the book) I'd be interested in hearing what you thought.
                                Was hoping for a review of the TV series as well.

Currently reading Hunter Killer, which is basically the Predator Drone pilot version of "American Sniper". About halfway through and really enjoying it. These guys would spy on terrorist leaders from half a world away for weeks on end before finally receiving the order to take a shot. Watched them with their families, going through their day, and then watched them up until the moment they took their life away. Then logged off the computer at the end of the shift, and drove home. Definitely a neat look into a world I knew nothing about.

Comment

Working...
                                X