No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I've bought in to the hype and have started reading City On Fire. This is supposed to be one of those 'must reads' but at almost 1,000 pages I'm going to be reading this book a for a while I think.

Comment

Heart of a Soldier- James B. Stewart.

Story of Rick Rescorla, a Welsh-born Vietnam vet with a fascinating life story. He was head of security at Morgan Stanley Dean Witter at the WTC on 9/11. Also tells the story of a friend of his, Dan Hill, who essentially predicted the type of attacks used in 1993 and 2001 on the towers.

Comment

@ Sideswipe: I thought of reading Aquinas to use a primer for TLS, but it turned out alright. If you took some logic courses or are familiar with the concepts he writes about I think you'll be okay. It's more of a rebuttal piece than a deep dive into philosophy. His SM I heard is the more academic (hence the "Scholastic" in the title) of the two.

Comment

+1 The Martian! But i just started it

Comment

Just started So You've Been Publicly Shamed. The book is about what happens when the internet makes takes on the job of judge, jury and executioner. Fascinating read about the culture of piling on and kicking people when they are down.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
              Just started So You've Been Publicly Shamed. The book is about what happens when the internet makes takes on the job of judge, jury and executioner. Fascinating read about the culture of piling on and kicking people when they are down.

I read the Justine Sacco chapter online a while back, it really is unreal how quickly these online mobs are able to work themselves up and impose real-world consequences on people. The rest of the book sounded like an interesting, if depressing, read.
              “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
              "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Ever thought of getting the sperm from a bunch of Nobel Prize winners and then creating a sperm bank which would be responsible for populating the best and brightest of the world? Sound like science fiction? Not quite. This ideas was put in to practice in the 1980s before the clinic closed its doors in 1999. The book I'm talking about? The Genius Factory. This is a fascinating look at eugenics and so far I can't up this book down. After reading it for one day I'm already up to page 101 of this 267 page book. Truly fascinating.

[MENTION=7232]Sideswipe[/MENTION] I enjoyed reading So You've Been Publicly Shamed. The book isn't as depressing as you might think, but it is definitely enlightening for the world we live in. Kinda scary how people can so quickly pile on.

Comment

The Rise and Fall of Great Powers by Tom Rachman. Hard to describe the book, but so far, so good.

Comment

I'm reading American Caesar by William Manchester
                    and A Savage war of peace by Alistair Horne

I'm on a bit of a history book spree right now

Comment

jussi adler-olsen's department q series is good stuff. protagonist is a detective recently shot but not killed, but he blames himself for not saving his fellow detectives in the same shooting. he gets shuffled to the basement to sort thru cold case files, and then the fun begins. great supporting characters, well-written, and it deals with xenophobia that applies well to the current american environment.

Comment

Some great recommendations, here, thanks!

I try for at least a book a week (62 so far in 2015) and there's no feeling quite like having a book waiting for you that you know you'll REALLY enjoy.

Nonfiction: Currently reading "The Rise of Superman", which talks about the "flow" state and how we can understand it better by studying extreme sports. When some of these adrenaline junkie type sports mean that not being "in the zone" is going to leave you hospitalized or dead, the brain basically gets pulled into flow as a survival instinct. Only halfway through so I may not be explaining his argument in full, but good stuff.

Fiction: Just finished "Project Nemesis", a giant monster thriller by Jeremy Robinson, who writes the EXCELLENT Chess Team series.

Comment

I burned through rereading the entire Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books while I was sick for a couple weeks. Now reading Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Going to have to watch the movies (starting with the Swedish versions) when I'm done.

Comment

Just picked up Seveneves from the library. Man this is a thick tomb (800+ pages). I've enjoyed Neal Stephenson books in the past, so I'm looking forward to giving this book a read. I do believe someone on this forum recommended the book, so thanks.

Comment

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] It's really good. My favorite thing about his writing is the way he can fit "bigthink" and hard science into books that are nonetheless page turners. I've read Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, Anathem and The Diamond Age, and this one was a favorite.

Comment

I jammed out of Anathem after 50 pages or so. Just couldn't do it. All of the other books you've listed though [MENTION=14880]MrBourbon[/MENTION] I have read and enjoyed.

Comment

Working...
                                X