No announcement yet.

What book are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we have similar taste. Loved the Martian; only did the audio version for Good Omens but liked it. Armada was good but not at the same level as Ready Player One, which I loved. Reading "It" now, and then will look to pick up something a little more "real" (and maybe shorter), will check back to this thread for ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by ashwin View Post
      Just finished reading Wild and The Martian and loved em both!

Can anyone recommend something else next along the same lines? Doesn't have to be space/ survivor, just easy to read and humorous.
      You might check out the Ex-Heroes series by Peter Clines. It's zombies and superheroes written with a gritty but sometimes humorous tone. I enjoyed it.

Comment

I've been reading the Travis Mcgee series lately, and I'm about to start the original Lonesome Dove, after having watched the miniseries about three times.

Comment

Originally posted by ashwin View Post
          Just finished reading Wild and The Martian and loved em both!

Can anyone recommend something else next along the same lines? Doesn't have to be space/ survivor, just easy to read and humorous.
          Soon I Will be Invincible fits that description http://www.amazon.com/Soon-I-Will-be.../dp/0307279863

Comment

Just finished The Martian as well! Started reading The Art of Racing in the Rain last night. Can already tell I'm really going to enjoy the book

Comment

just started "Between the World and Me" by ta-nehisi coates.
              it has shades of ralph wiley's work (whom i miss...), so looking forward to getting through it.

Comment

"The Last Superstition" by Ed Feser.
                "The Splendor of Truth" by Pope John Paul II.

Comment

Just started reading US. Kinda chic-lit light, but somewhere someone recommended the book so I figured I'd give it a try.

Comment

About halfway through Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken.

Originally posted by Midwest View Post
                    "The Last Superstition" by Ed Feser.
                    I've been meaning to pick this up, how is it? I really enjoyed his book on Aquinas.
                    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sideswipe View Post

I've been meaning to pick this up, how is it? I really enjoyed his book on Aquinas.
                      Wow, I'm surprised that someone else is aware of such a book and author/scholar!

Anyways, I think the book is quite good, though I wish he would've expand on several issues and points. Nonetheless he knows "the other side" (for the sake of the forum) quite well since he's been there, and knows the arguments, the psychology and through-lines used by such a group.

Feser doesn't teach at a major university/college, but he should. I haven't read his "Aquinas," yet, but from what I gather from those that enjoyed it they also liked "TLS." It's his "Scholastic Metaphysics" that I'm hungry to get my hands on.

Comment

After my final CPA test in November, I have a list of 4 books to read as well as getting back to my weekly Economist subscription.

Can I Say - Travis Barker
                        Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Predicting - Philip Tetlock
                        Saving Gotham: A Billionaire Mayor, Activist Doctors, and the Fight for Eight Million Lives - Tom Farley
                        The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail--but Some Don't - Nate Silver

Comment

I haven't much over the past six months due to a very busy schedule as well as spending a lot of time reading old articles on sites like this, but I flipped around a collection of Rudyard Kipling's poetry and enjoyed it. However, I do intend to rededicate myself to reading and will probably start with Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes. I really enjoyed Locke's Second Treatise of Government and look forward to the differences in Hobbes' work.

Comment

Originally posted by Midwest View Post
                            Wow, I'm surprised that someone else is aware of such a book and author/scholar!

Anyways, I think the book is quite good, though I wish he would've expand on several issues and points. Nonetheless he knows "the other side" (for the sake of the forum) quite well since he's been there, and knows the arguments, the psychology and through-lines used by such a group.

Feser doesn't teach at a major university/college, but he should. I haven't read his "Aquinas," yet, but from what I gather from those that enjoyed it they also liked "TLS." It's his "Scholastic Metaphysics" that I'm hungry to get my hands on.
                            Agreed, he definitely should, not sure how one of the Catholic liberal arts schools hasn't grabbed him yet. Appreciate the feedback/recommendation, I'll check out TLS soon. (And potentially Scholastic Metaphysics, although looking at the description I'm not if I should read more of his blog as prep for the book or the book as prep for his blog.) FWIW Aquinas is a good read - it spent more time on Thomas' metaphysics than I was expecting, but it ended up being a really clear backgrounder/refresher.
                            “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                            "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Reading Station Eleven and quite enjoying it. The book tells the story about what happens when a virus wipes out a large chunk of humanity. Think Walking Dead without the Dead.

Comment

Right now I'm reading "Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty". Really good book and dispels all of the myths about him.

Comment

Working...
                                X