X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just picked up The Innovators.

Comment

Originally posted by thiswasandy View Post
      Just finished reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir, excellent book. It's like Castaway, except Mars. Currently reading "The Dalai Lama's Book of Wisdom".
      Agreed on The Martian. It was a fun quick read.

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
        Agreed on The Martian. It was a fun quick read.
        Loved The Martian. Just finished The Man in the High Castle and now I'm on to The Leftovers.

Comment

The Martian was indeed a good book. Makes me wonder how the movie is going to turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
            The Martian was indeed a good book. Makes me wonder how the movie is going to turn out.
            I'm digging Matt Damon for the role.

https://youtu.be/Wygmxzp6VzY

Comment

'Down and Out in Paris and London' - Orwell
              'Lie Down in Darkness' - Styron

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                Same here - I pictured Matt Damon while reading it since I knew he was going to play the lead.

Comment

just discovered the upcoming movie for The Martian, glad I didn't know about Damon while reading it.

Comment

Sweetland. A good book about life in Newfoundland.

Comment

Currently reading An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield. Planning to read The Martian afterwards -- seems like a good choice based on the rave reviews above.

Comment

Tearing my way through Jurassic Park. About half way through, and I'm loving it. So much better than the movie. Just as much suspense and riveting action, but without 1990's cinematic cheese-factor.

Comment

gray mountain by john grisham

Comment

Switching over to read The Martian (Andy Weir) quickly prior to seeing the movie

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                              Tearing my way through Jurassic Park. About half way through, and I'm loving it. So much better than the movie. Just as much suspense and riveting action, but without 1990's cinematic cheese-factor.
                              When I first read this book I was blown away with the science, the plot, everything. Then Spielberg came along and pretty much wrecked it for me. Good to see you're giving it a go. Well done sir!

Comment

Currently reading Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson http://www.amazon.com/Red-Mars-Trilo.../dp/0553560735

It's almost the opposite of The Martian. Sweeping, long time scale, many characters, and plot is driven by character interaction rather than responding to the environment of Mars trying to kill you. My biggest complaint about the book is that the people on Mars seem to conquer the planet with out any trouble, as if all you have to do is show up and you can live on Mars. There are a lot of cool tech ideas on display, but they settle into the background.

All that being said, I am enjoying the book and I'm planning on reading the whole trilogy. I tried reading the book once before but it didn't hold my interest. This time I'm hooked.

Comment

Working...
                                X