X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminado
    replied
    [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION]
    Joyce are terrific! Stoked on that album.

George Watsky's new album x infinity came out yesterday. The whole record is stellar, but the Lovely Thing suite is particularly masterful.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Just found out about a punk band called Joyce Manor. The first tracks I've listened to I quite like. They have a new album coming out in October and if the first track I've heard from the album is anything to go on, I think I'll grab the whole thing.

Leave a comment:

• Terminado
    replied
    Atmosphere's new record, Fishing Blues, came out today! Sounds like they're finally having fun again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ueCFLkJdA

Leave a comment:

• APinNC
    replied
    New records:
    New Descendents - Hypercaffium Spazzinate: the OGs of pop punk still putting out solid records
    Dinosaur Jr new record - Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not: great album with hazy riffs

Vintage album:
    Ike & Tina Turner and The Ikettes - Come Together: this is a hidden gem.

Enjoy the weekend

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Just starting to get in to Jeff The Brotherhood. A two person garage rock band.

Leave a comment:

• Alpha King
    replied
    This is far from new, but with the recent events in the news I've been drawn back to some old-ish school hip hop with some social commentary, especially The Coup. Criminally underrated, Boots Riley is one of the most consistently thought-provoking mcs around, and it doesn't hurt that he's got a great voice and the tracks are funky as hell.

Leave a comment:

• APinNC
    replied
    Lots of new albums lately.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers, "The Getaway" - way different sound from the old funky style. More of a jazz fusion style. Love the rhythm section more then Kiedis' voice
    Blink 182, "California" - Love the addition of Matt Skiba (Alkaline Trio) on vocals. Lyrics are cheesy, but I dig the nostalgic vibe of the punk/pop
    Snoop Dogg, "Coolaid" - C'mon son. He's lost a step, but it's the D-O-Double G. Plus, Too Short is on the album
    Biffy Clyro, "Elipsis" - Great Scottish rock band with another awesome record. Think Radiohead, Switchfoot, and Blue October had a baby

And get ready, the Descendents are coming soon....

Enjoy your weekend, fellas

Leave a comment:

• APinNC
    replied
    Originally posted by Alpha King View Post
    The world needs some "Endtroducing" era DJ Shadow. And you cannot beat RTJ. Killer Mike and ELP are hiphop's standard-bearers right now.
    I still play Entro a few times a month; have since it came out. One of my favorite records of all time. Shadow has never been able to recreate that magic, but he's made a lot of great music. When you release a debut like Entro, there's nowhere to go but down.

As for RTJ, by far my favorite current hip hop artists. El-P and Mikey are absolute beasts

Leave a comment:

• Alpha King
    replied
    Originally posted by APinNC View Post
    New DJ Shadow coming next week! First single off the album, "Nobody Speak" feat. Run the Jewels. If the record is anything like this single, then we are in for a treat similar to Entroducing.

The world needs some "Endtroducing" era DJ Shadow. And you cannot beat RTJ. Killer Mike and ELP are hiphop's standard-bearers right now.

Leave a comment:

• Alpha King
    replied
    Originally posted by phatte View Post
    Heard this song first over the closing credits of Silicon Valley a few weeks ago. So good.

I'm listening to a group I just found called Twin Peaks - "Butterfly." Very 60s garage-y
    i am digging Twin Peaks too! That first song off their latest one sounds like T.Rex. That's a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• phatte
    replied
    Originally posted by APinNC View Post
    New DJ Shadow coming next week! First single off the album, "Nobody Speak" feat. Run the Jewels. If the record is anything like this single, then we are in for a treat similar to Entroducing.

Heard this song first over the closing credits of Silicon Valley a few weeks ago. So good.

I'm listening to a group I just found called Twin Peaks - "Butterfly." Very 60s garage-y

Leave a comment:

• APinNC
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Thanks [MENTION=12652]ForeverGuest[/MENTION]. I'll check the album out on iTunes (assuming it is there) and give each song a listen to. If I like the album enough, I'll give it a purchase. The first track I heard off the album (Vincent ?) I thought was pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• phatte
    replied
    Originally posted by ForeverGuest View Post
    The new record is definitely guitar driven.
    Just listened to this for the first time this afternoon. Really enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• ForeverGuest
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    I heard a CSH son on the NPR Podcast all songs considered. Thought it was pretty good. Waht's the rest of the album like? It is guitar driven?
    The new record is definitely guitar driven. To me, CSH is quintessential indie rock—big guitars, moody, stream of consciousness lyrics. There's a lot of apathy in the songs, a lot of self denial. They're not lyrically fun songs, per se, but the instrumentation rocks enough to make you bounce. CSH reminds me of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-era Wilco or even early REM, though less psychedelic than the former and less melodic than the latter. I think this record could break them into the rock mainstream, such as it is these days. I'm a fan. I recommend listening on Spotify for sure, and I'll probably go out and buy the vinyl at some point soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X