Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thmage
    replied

@Deke, I know, right? I want to see them live sometime, they seem to do really good shows.

@thinker_random, The Format/fun. are super good!

Also, Eric Hutchinson anyone? One of the best singer/songwriters around.

Leave a comment:

• maccoinnich
    replied

@tomservo Thanks. I actually love Veckatimest, and have been listening to it on repeat at work for the last few weeks. I never quite got into Dirty Projectors, despite seeing them live in 2008.

Leave a comment:

• matt2
    replied

Wow, now I know I'm on the right forum with all the great musical taste shown here! Nice to be among like-minded fans of indie rock, post-punk, noise-rock, etc.

Leave a comment:

• julio
    replied

I'm a big fan of punk, post-punk, and noise-rock; so much so that I took a DJ training program at the local community radio station and pitched a show I've now been hosting for over a year.

Here's the most recent playlist: http://bit.ly/Nv26nF

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

I like Carly Rae Jepsen. *ducks*

Leave a comment:

• thinker_random
    replied

As mentioned in my list was the band Two Cow Garage. I feel like I should expand on this. They are a band based out of Columbus Ohio and are almost always touring either as a band or the lead singer does solo stuff. They are totally worth checking out. Genre wise it's hard to pin point for me but it is rock with almost a country undertone in some of their songs. Very high energy and amazing song writing. Singer has a very unique sound I know the name is kind of goofy but I have a feeling that most will not be disappointed based on most of the lists that people have put out there. They usually cover Tom Petty or Bob Dylan at their shows. Check em out and see them live if you have the chance.

Leave a comment:

• tomservo
    replied

@Matt - The new Japandroids album is face-meltingly awesome and their live show is something to behold.

@maccoinnich - Two bands for you to check out. 1. Dirty Projectors. Each new album builds on the last. Bitte Orca is a good place to start and Swing Low Magellan came out last week. David Byrne is a fan and collaborated with them on the song Knotty Pine.

2. Grizzly Bear - Hardly underground as their last album Veckatimest was arguably the best album of 2009 and have been featured in numerous commercials but they are gearing up for their next album in the fall and the bits I've heard has been great.

To bring this to a close, two other good albums came out yesterday. Passion Pit - Gossamer. Didn't quite grab me like Manners did but still worth a listen and The Gaslight Anthem's new one Handwritten. A more proper follow up to The '59 Sound which includes a great cover of Nirvana's Sliver.

Leave a comment:

• Deke
    replied

@thmage

LOVE John Butler Trio

Leave a comment:

• thinker_random
    replied

Glad to see this thread and looks like I have some bands to check out. Here is a list of things I have been listening lately.

MxPx - one of my favorite bands of all time

Motion City Soundtrack

The Decemberists

The Format

Fun.

Ludo

Twenty One Pilots

Tumbledown

Elway

Frank Turner

The Riverboat Gamblers

Rancid

Two Cow Garage

Go Radio

Let Me Run

Leave a comment:

• maccoinnich
    replied

My tastes are fairly classic indie rock: Sonic Youth; B-52's; Yo La Tengo; Talking Heads; Deerhoof; Magnetic Fields; Fleetwood mac; Sleater-Kinney. I want to get into more bands whose best work is likely to be ahead of them, but really finding it hard to discover anybody contemporary that I'm love with.

Leave a comment:

• matt2
    replied

I like all kinds of music (rock, jazz, classical, funk, African) but am primarily an "indie" guy (or "hipster bullshit" as tomservo so acutely calls it). I haven't bought nearly as much music this year as I did last, but here are some of this year's albums I've really enjoyed:

Beach House - Bloom

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis (metal!!)

The Walkmen - Heaven

Torche - Harmonicraft

Rush - Clockwork Angels (yes, I also like Rush)

My favorite albums from last year are probably P.J. Harvey's "Let England Shake" and Real Estate's "Days."

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

For classical, this is my all time favorite piece:

Symphony No. 3 In C Minor, Op. 78 "Organ"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDaZfSHDpa0&feature=fvwrel

Makes me think of Mont St. Michel:

Leave a comment:

• thmage
    replied

/thread-rez

Okay, I just became obsessed with some "classical" music of the likes of Johann Strauss, Claude Debussy, etc. I think I'll need to do some research and find more composers of that era. So if you're looking for something classy and sophisticated, you need not look any further.

Leave a comment:

• todd
    replied

Forgot to add: Drive-By Truckers. Country/Southern rock.

Leave a comment:

• j.b.
    replied

@Justin- minus the bear is awesome. All great, but still love the older stuff the most. I've seen them live a few times and the guitarist is one of the craziest I've ever seen...his use of effects pedals, and delay, is amazing

As for another indie recommendation. Lately, I've been obsessed with a song named "Vomit", by a band called Girls. it has tastes of Pink Floyd, indie, southern rock twang, and a little grunge. Give it a shot

Leave a comment:

Working...
X