Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a lifting program; can anyone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not necessarily lifting-related, but also be VERY wary of mobile apps. Specifically, things they claim to "need" access to on your phone. Things like cameras, microphone audio, contacts, email.....these are all warning signs of data harvesting and listening in without your knowledge. Obviously something like snapchat is going to need camera/microphone access. But if you download a cookbook app, it shouldn't need access to your emails. But there are some that require it.

Just a heads-up from the personal privacy side.

More on-topic, I just got back in the first time today after a two-week vacation. I'm feeling it....and just to confirm, tendinitis still sucks. Reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally wish there was something other than ice & voltaren that I could do. Frustrating as hell.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
      Not necessarily lifting-related, but also be VERY wary of mobile apps. Specifically, things they claim to "need" access to on your phone. Things like cameras, microphone audio, contacts, email.....these are all warning signs of data harvesting and listening in without your knowledge. Obviously something like snapchat is going to need camera/microphone access. But if you download a cookbook app, it shouldn't need access to your emails. But there are some that require it.

Just a heads-up from the personal privacy side.

More on-topic, I just got back in the first time today after a two-week vacation. I'm feeling it....and just to confirm, tendinitis still sucks. Reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally wish there was something other than ice & voltaren that I could do. Frustrating as hell.
      Used to have an issue with it in my left elbow but cleared it up with tons of curls.

Left shoulder acting up lately though and believe it may be tendinitis. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
        and yeah, about 3-4 out of my 6 exercises are on the squat rack so i monopolize it for a good chunk of time. I make sure to go on off days/times (and only twice a week), but people have gotten upset at me before. just gotta hope the other squat rack is free. but its gonna take as long as it takes.
        Sorry, but this attitude frustrates the hell out of me. Gym equipment is a shared resource and, at the very least, you should let other people work-in while you're dicking around on your phone.
        Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
        Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
        --Jason Isbell

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
          Sorry, but this attitude frustrates the hell out of me. Gym equipment is a shared resource and, at the very least, you should let other people work-in while you're dicking around on your phone.
          People are welcome to work in...but in order for that to happen, the following events need to occur: the other squat rack has to be occupied, they have to ask to work in, and be willing to rerack for me. It's never happened. I pay my gym fees and take a reasonable time (as previously mentioned, 7 minutes between squats is what is recommended for recovery), sorry if that rubs you the wrong way but there is literally no alternative to me (maybe having a squat rack at home if i ever buy a house). I try to go at off hours when there's maybe 4-5 other people in the gym, so if that happens to be an inconvenience to others occasionally...so be it. I'm not rushing my sets and risking injury for anyone else to have to wait less.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
            People are welcome to work in...but in order for that to happen, the following events need to occur: the other squat rack has to be occupied, they have to ask to work in, and be willing to rerack for me. It's never happened. I pay my gym fees and take a reasonable time (as previously mentioned, 7 minutes between squats is what is recommended for recovery), sorry if that rubs you the wrong way but there is literally no alternative to me (maybe having a squat rack at home if i ever buy a house). I try to go at off hours when there's maybe 4-5 other people in the gym, so if that happens to be an inconvenience to others occasionally...so be it. I'm not rushing my sets and risking injury for anyone else to have to wait less.
            7 minutes? Uh, I've never once heard that nor have I seen serious lifters take breaks like that. The norm is 3-5 minutes for heavy sets and 1-3 minutes for lighter sets.

Comment

This is why I go out of my way* to go to a gym with three squat racks... much less likely to inconvenience, or be inconvenienced by, other lifters.

*Truly... my gym has two locations, one large gym with three squat racks on the other side of town and one smaller gym downtown that's a ten minute walk from my house, but with only one squat rack. Except in unusual circumstances, I go to the bigger location just so I know I'm likely to get a squat rack.
              Ben

Comment

We have two squat racks that people are CONSTANTLY using for shoulder press, curls, and even bench press (they will actually drag a bench 75 yards--it's a massive gym, old hangar--when there's at least 3 available bench press racks). Front desk staff is thankfully REALLY proactive and good about that; they'll cruise through every 15 minutes or so and kick people out if they're not squatting/doing calf raises.

I sat and waited patiently for a guy doing shoulder presses today. Didn't say a word to him, didn't even make eye contact. I'd just arrived, it was EXTREMELY busy, and I had plenty of time before I had to be at work, so no big deal. He made it a point to stop what he was doing, walk over to me, and ask if I was waiting for the rack. Thinking he was going to be polite and move, I said "I am, but you can finish up your sets I'm not in a rush."

"I know I can, see this shirt? ARMY. This a (sic) Army base. You wait for US to finish, our house."

Welp. That attitude right there was all the inspiration I needed. I just had to make eye contact with one of the employees, pointed, he smiled and waved, and came on over. I just smiled at mister attitude as I took over.

Seriously, for all my faults, I can actually be extremely easy to get along with. Right up until someone catches attitude because of their ego and forgets they're talking to a fellow human being. Then it's game on.
                https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                  This is why I go out of my way* to go to a gym with three squat racks... much less likely to inconvenience, or be inconvenienced by, other lifters.
                  My gym only has one squat rack. I typically go fairly early in the morning (2-3 other people in the gym) and have never had to wait or have anyone (that I knew of) wait on me. Recently I went to the gym after work, and the place was packed with a guy was on the squat rack. I pre-occupied myself for a bit to wait, but then he took a phone call and went outside. I waited at least five minutes, and when the guy was still standing outside in the parking lot on the phone, I unloaded his weights and started my own set. And of course, within two minutes, he's back inside. I offered to let him work in with me, but he was pleasant enough about it and said he knew he lost his place in line by going outside for a phone call.

The whole ordeal wasn't a bad experience, just inconvenient enough to remind me why I go the gym before work rather than after work.

But on the topic of weird gym behavior (and off the topic of the original thread), there is one lady at the gym in the morning who drives me insane. I have seen her, on three occasions, park between the gym's parking lot's handicap spots. Right in the white striped area - leaving both handicap spots useless for anyone needs the extra space because they're actually disabled.

Her daily workout is a 30-45 minute run on the treadmill.

I haven't decided how to handle the situation yet. Gym staff isn't present that early in the morning. The first time I saw it, I chalked it up as maybe she just made a mistake. Second time, I tried the passive aggressive double-take. Third time a (still passive aggressive) head shake. Those tactics don't appear to be working, and it'll just eat me up if I say nothing and let the behavior go unchecked.

Comment

I'm sure most regular gym-goers could write a novella about all the weird, rude behaviors on display there. The slamming of weights for no good goddamn reason... the not reracking after yourself... the inexplicable loud sexual grunting... the dripping sweat everywhere and not cleaning it up... the standing in front of a line of people, slowly filling your water bottle at the regular water fountain, when there is a dedicated water bottle filling station forty feet away... the blow-drying your junk in the locker room... the leaning over the bathroom sink/counter so your junk is on top of the sink so you can get a closer look at yourself in the mirror.... (I swear to god there is not a single horizontal surface in the men's locker room that has not had sweaty old man balls slathered on it.)

My favorite continues to be the guy who used to be an evening regular with me, who not only did the loud sexual grunting while lifting, but would also stare at himself in the mirror between sets whispering "fuck you... fuck you..." to himself.

W/r/t the "handicapped" lady, I would take some care in terms of accusing her of not being handicapped, because who the heck knows, but I don't think it would be out of line to point out to her that she's taking up two spots and someone else might need one. And it might be best to let the gym staff know rather than confronting her directly about it, because maybe she has some kind of arrangement with them for some reason.
                    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      I'm sure most regular gym-goers could write a novella about all the weird, rude behaviors on display there. The slamming of weights for no good goddamn reason... the not reracking after yourself... the inexplicable loud sexual grunting... the dripping sweat everywhere and not cleaning it up... the standing in front of a line of people, slowly filling your water bottle at the regular water fountain, when there is a dedicated water bottle filling station forty feet away... the blow-drying your junk in the locker room... the leaning over the bathroom sink/counter so your junk is on top of the sink so you can get a closer look at yourself in the mirror.... (I swear to god there is not a single horizontal surface in the men's locker room that has not had sweaty old man balls slathered on it.)

My favorite continues to be the guy who used to be an evening regular with me, who not only did the loud sexual grunting while lifting, but would also stare at himself in the mirror between sets whispering "fuck you... fuck you..." to himself.

W/r/t the "handicapped" lady, I would take some care in terms of accusing her of not being handicapped, because who the heck knows, but I don't think it would be out of line to point out to her that she's taking up two spots and someone else might need one. And it might be best to let the gym staff know rather than confronting her directly about it, because maybe she has some kind of arrangement with them for some reason.
                      Agreed that it would be ideal to let gym staff handle. But, it's a Anytime Workout location, and there's no staff present before 8 or 9 in the morning. But you do make a good point that I shouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions. I was ranting to my wife about it yesterday morning, and she made the very reasonable suggestion that if I had to say something, then why not just politely have a conversation with the lady and ask why she parks there. Who knows, there may very well be a valid reason.

As for the guy from your gym... that's, uh, a unique form of self-motivation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wayyy off the original topic, but bang on for the current thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk8agwWigww

Comment

Originally posted by mooseontheloose View Post
                          Don't mean to be a jerk, but the word 'toning' needs to be removed from fitness language. It's not a thing. You can't tone a specific muscle or even your body in general.

What people use the word toning to describe is losing fat and/or adding muscle to improve body composition. There are a million ridiculous 'toning' programs out there but not a single one of them will be more effective than lifting weights. Also, you're not going to pick up a barbell and accidentally look like The Rock or The Mountain a few months later.

If you're seriously overweight and have a considerable amount of fat to lose then definitely prioritize cardio while cutting (caloric deficit). Lift weights too to learn the basics.

If you're at a decent body composition but just want to improve the fat-muscle ratio then lift heavy weights. Cut or eat at maintenance until you're lean enough to be happy and then either eat at maintenance or bulk. Mix in HIIT cardio or similar workouts to keep your heart healthy but don't overdo it. The weights are what will make you look good.

TLDR - Muscles aren't toned. They are built by lifting heavy weights and eating right. They are revealed by continuing to lift weights and eating right (less) to shed excess fat. It's simple but often complicated unnecessarily.
                          No offense taken.
                          Just saw this as the main page reminded me about this thread.

The word toning may not mean anything to you but it can describe easily for someone trying to get into shape. Even though I agree with just about everything you said, but trying to explain all of that to someone just starting out is going to make their head explode with a surplus of information. I used it as a general term to get into shape - losing fat while building some muscle.

Personally, I've avoided actually going to the gym for over a decade now and have no desire to go back. So instead, I use various other workouts that can be done at home or outside at the park (HIIT sprints, etc) using as little gym equipment as possible - i.e. tabata style leg workouts, body weight exercises, etc. Of course, this was all learned through experience having pushed enough weights in the gym when I was younger and knowing how my own body responds while keeping my current form - that is, ~150 lbs with less than 18% body fat.

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION]
                          Beer. I love beer also.
                          I workout 2-3 a week just so I can drink beers and eat well.

Comment

Ya, that makes sense.

The big problem with a generic term like 'toning' is that it doesn't convey how or what needs to happen for it to occur.

If I say I want to 'tone' my abs, what kind of advice will I get from most people and even most TV ads? Blast those abs with X exercise. Or use some ridiculous 'toning' belt or whatever. Want to tone your glutes? Do some assblaster workout.

What's lost in this form of communication is how exactly a person can 'tone' (using your definition of losing fat and gaining muscle). Doing situps or almost any other random ab exercise in isolation will almost definitely not 'tone' your abs in any noticeable way. And that's why the word toning is problematic. It's a catch-all word that simplifies a problem and its solutions so companies can sell equipment, diet/workout plans, gym subscriptions, etc. It's not helpful for anyone, including beginners, because without understanding what they actually mean by toning and then explaining how to accomplish their actual goals, you generally end up with unrealistic/uninformed expectations and woefully ineffective solutions.

Comment

I have had pretty good results with the Werewolf training from Project Swole: http://www.projectswole.com/weight-t...o-gain-muscle/.

Somewhere around the middle of the page is a downloadable Excel spreadsheet with the routine. It's a good, full body, workout plan. I modify it slightly based on the equipment available at my gym.

Good Luck.

Comment

I just joined a crossfit gym.

God help me.
                                Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X