Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a lifting program; can anyone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    Err, that's like saying driving is easy; that's why everyone does it. Or lifting is easy, that's why everyone does it. More to the point if you're running a 3:15 marathon and trying to get down under 3:10, running is most definitely NOT easy.
    I think driving is easy!

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
      Also, you can refer to this calculator to give you a general idea of strength standards. As a starting goal, I'd say the intermediate standard is a good one. Numbers, based on my experience and observations, are pretty in line with the category descriptors.
      You and LesserBlackDog seem pretty informed about this stuff. What do you guys do for cardio? I mean strength is great and the more muscle the more you'll burn calories (very general idea) but I cannot imagine losing/maintaining weight eating 3,000 cal a day. I'm 5'7 on a good day and weight about 185. I have recently cut my cardio down to about 10-20 minutes after heavy lifting but I have been hitting the gym at least 4 days a week, often on consecutive days. Mainly curious to see what you guys do while on the starting strength program as it says to only work out 3 days a week, eat 3500-6000 cals (which sounds like way to much to me), and doesn't say anything about cardio.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrbrownie00 View Post
        You and LesserBlackDog seem pretty informed about this stuff. What do you guys do for cardio? I mean strength is great and the more muscle the more you'll burn calories (very general idea) but I cannot imagine losing/maintaining weight eating 3,000 cal a day. I'm 5'7 on a good day and weight about 185. I have recently cut my cardio down to about 10-20 minutes after heavy lifting but I have been hitting the gym at least 4 days a week, often on consecutive days. Mainly curious to see what you guys do while on the starting strength program as it says to only work out 3 days a week, eat 3500-6000 cals (which sounds like way to much to me), and doesn't say anything about cardio.
        I'm not a fitness expert or fitness buff by any means, but usually I get my cardio from 1.) lifting (with relatively short rest periods); 2.) HIIT sprinting, typically only once or twice a week for 20-30 minutes because HIIT sucks and makes me want to die; and 3.) lots of walking. I aim for about an hour of walking per day with my dog.

I get "steady state" cardio in on the weekends with day hikes, cross-country skiing, bike rides, kayaking/paddling/swimming. I usually only do longer distance running when I am preparing for a race.

I guess I could bulk up more if I tweaked my lifting and ate more and did less "cardio" but there's not much point living where I live if you only spend time at the gym and not outside huffing and puffing in the mountains and rivers and lakes.
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          I guess I could bulk up more if I tweaked my lifting and ate more and did less "cardio" but there's not much point living where I live if you only spend time at the gym and not outside huffing and puffing in the mountains and rivers and lakes.
          I previously wrote and then deleted a comment that was along these lines. Lifting weights in the gym is boring. If your goal is to get strong, then one of these intense lifting programs is the way to go. If your goal is increased overall fitness that includes a running program, then there are a lot of ways to skin that cat including HIIT, plyometrics, long cardio pieces, body circuits, mobility work, etc. And you can do all that stuff in the lovely out doors.

Comment

I'm not a fitness expert or fitness buff by any means, but usually I get my cardio from 1.) lifting (with relatively short rest periods); 2.) HIIT sprinting, typically only once or twice a week for 20-30 minutes because HIIT sucks and makes me want to die; and 3.) lots of walking. I aim for about an hour of walking per day with my dog.

I get "steady state" cardio in on the weekends with day hikes, cross-country skiing, bike rides, kayaking/paddling/swimming. I usually only do longer distance running when I am preparing for a race.

I feel the same way to an extent. My main goal when starting was to lose weight honestly but then I kind of got addicted to gains/results of lifting when my body started changing. I def. feel weaker on days I eat less and I know if i ate more I'd be able to lift more but from what i've researched I cannot have both.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrbrownie00 View Post
              The type of cardio you'll do is kind of dependent on what your goals are, just like everything else. In general, if I were doing a powerlifting/strength-centric program, my cardio would be limited to light activity like hitting an elliptical/stationary bike/rower for 15-20 minutes post-workout. Or going on some hikes (nothing like 20 mile ruck, though) over the weekend. If I was looking at cutting, I would be doing more of a hypertrophic/bodybuilding centric program with more intense cardio like sprints and high-intensity rowing. Currently, If I want some cardio, I just lift with more intensity/volume. Make no mistake, high volume+weight squatting can get your heart racing and your lungs burning enough to burn fat and build endurance without having to add any "extras." You can cut this pie a whole bunch of different ways.

Like LBD, I'm not a fitness expert. I just read a lot and have tried a lot of different things. I've been an avid strength guy for around 9 years. I originally started lifting for increased athletic performance in the Corps. I found that rucking 80lbs of kit over the course of a long patrol when you're only 135lbs tends to make you more of a liability than an asset. I'm not in the the service any more, but I still try and keep myself in the same ready-for-anything shape.

That's fair. I guess my argument has always been, and still is, that you can still enjoy all of those activities regularly and still "focus" on strength programs; they don't need to be exclusive. The time and effort it's taken for me to get to a 400+lbs squat has also been a road that's increased my cardiovascular endurance, and my overall athletic performance in general. Now, if you're hiking every day, and not just on weekends or whatever, then yeah, I'd agree that maybe you might not have time to hit the gym to execute these programs while juggling that and work and what not. But otherwise, I know plenty of powerlifters and strength athletes who live for the outdoors.

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
              I previously wrote and then deleted a comment that was along these lines. Lifting weights in the gym is boring. If your goal is to get strong, then one of these intense lifting programs is the way to go. If your goal is increased overall fitness that includes a running program, then there are a lot of ways to skin that cat including HIIT, plyometrics, long cardio pieces, body circuits, mobility work, etc. And you can do all that stuff in the lovely out doors.
              If you start trying to crush PRs in the gym on a regular basis, it might become less boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
                If you start trying to crush PRs in the gym on a regular basis, it might become less boring.
                I appreciate your argument overall, but this sentence out of context is one of the bro-iest things that's ever been said on the internet. winkeyface j/k kissyface

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                  I appreciate your argument overall, but this sentence out of context is one of the bro-iest things that's ever been said on the internet. winkeyface j/k kissyface
                  Haha. I wouldn't disagree.

Comment

[MENTION=12045]Matchbook[/MENTION] all great suggestions/tips/help. Thank you. The gym I go to does not seem to have a huge gym-bro culture. At least not early in the morning before work. I have no idea what it is like at night. I'll definitely do some research before heading out to meet with the trainer though. Knowledge as they say is king.

[MENTION=16378]Arête[/MENTION] Nice. Maybe I need to stop chewing gum and trying to change the radio station, not to mention texting, at the same time

Comment

Cardio workouts lead to weight loss. Muscle-strengthening exercises and proper nutrition can help you
                      Happiness depends upon ourselves.

Comment

I do a lot of cardio but I am not losing that much weight. I suspect it is because a) I drink a lot of beer during the week - although I'm cutting that out and b) I'm taking in more calories than I'm getting out.

My hope in doing some muscle strengthening is that I'd tone up and start to look better. I don't need to be busting out of my shirts and pants all over the place, but some definition would be nice.

Comment

I suspect it is because a) I drink a lot of beer during the week - although I'm cutting that out and b) I'm taking in more calories than I'm getting out.
                          Bingo. About a year ago I decided I really want to loose some weight. For about 6 months I tried doing this by upping the intensity and frequency of my workouts, but I really was not loosing much at all. Then I started really cutting back on calories and I've lost about 25 lbs over the last six months. I use the loose it app to track roughly how many calories I eat in a day and make sure I am hitting my target amounts. I've started drinking a lot more scotch or Irish whiskey (neat) and less beer...I really enjoy whiskey so this is not a huge sacrifice....and that has helped get my calorie intake under control while still allowing me to indulge in a few beverages as I wind down after work.

Comment

I do a lot of cardio but I am not losing that much weight. I suspect it is because a) I drink a lot of beer during the week - although I'm cutting that out and b) I'm taking in more calories than I'm getting out.

My hope in doing some muscle strengthening is that I'd tone up and start to look better. I don't need to be busting out of my shirts and pants all over the place, but some definition would be nice.
                            Cutting out alcohol, especially beer, will make a difference, especially if you drink "a lot." Weight loss and gain is all a function of calories in vs. calories out, so you're right there.

Other things that might speed things up for you is to cut out/minimize simple sugar intake and don't eat too late in the evening, e.g. past 7 or 8pm, or whatever is reasonable for your schedule. Make sure your protein intake is sufficient for your activities.

Comment

so [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] , where did you end up?

Comment

Well [MENTION=9424]Jrbrownie00[/MENTION] there is nothing like being called out on the main page to humble a man now is there?

I'd like to say that yes, the wife-to-be is doing her laundry on my abs, but that is not the case. I have managed to get in to the gym a half dozen times or so since my posting here. Not the greatest of results, I know. And I wish I had a good reason for my slack-assedness, but I do not. Mind you I am busy three out of five nights a week, but still. It is pretty much just a combination of not getting up early enough and busy evenings. I need to get motivated.

While I have managed to shed a bit of weight, that is more due to the fact I'm eating less sugar compared to the level of exercise I am currently doing.

But I have to get serious and get my ass in to the gym.

Comment

Working...
                                X