Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's "normal" to spend on family for Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's "normal" to spend on family for Christmas?

Recognizing that the question is relative and is impacted by so many factors, I'm curious what others spend on family (dad, mom, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, etc. --- not spouse/child) for Christmas (or your holiday of choice).

My wife's family and my family have different approaches to the holidays. In her family, it's standard to spend $150+ each on mom, dad, stepmom, brother, sister, brother in law, niece, niece, and nephew. My family typically spends $30-$60 each on sister/brother in law, mom, and dad -- and maybe $100+ each on the nieces and nephews.

This isn't a question about teeing up the issue with either family on adjusting expectations --- I'm just curious what others experience.

For parents, brothers, sisters, in-laws, nieces and nephew, aunts and uncles, close family friends, ect I usually do something in the $30-$60 range person. I come from a very big family so if i tried to do more than that things could get out of hand quickly. Often though I'll collaborate with family members to get a bigger gift for some one, for example last year a handful of us got together and bought my brother a pretty nice TV, or two years ago I got a $90 bottle of scotch I know my sister and her husband really like and gave that to them with a few other small items so it ended up being about $120 (so $60 a person).

Comment

Originally posted by Me27 View Post
      For parents, brothers, sisters, in-laws, nieces and nephew, aunts and uncles, close family friends, ect I usually do something in the $30-$60 range person. I come from a very big family so if i tried to do more than that things could get out of hand quickly. Often though I'll collaborate with family members to get a bigger gift for some one, for example last year a handful of us got together and bought my brother a pretty nice TV, or two years ago I got a $90 bottle of scotch I know my sister and her husband really like and gave that to them with a few other small items so it ended up being about $120 (so $60 a person).
      I think that's a nice thing about big families - you can pool resources towards one gift. My sister and I typically do so for our parents. Certainly relieves some of the stress when you can say, "get what you think we should get, and let me know how much I owe..."

Comment

I don't think there's such thing as normal when it comes to this question. I typically don't spend more than about $30-50 on a gift for anyone in my family (mom, dad, brother, pseudo-brother). I'm not close enough with any of my extended family to buy them gifts. Among my friends, I tend to give and receive ~$20ish "token" gifts. Pretty much everyone else just gets a Christmas card with a thoughtful note in it and maybe some nice caramels from a local candy-maker (neighbors, acquaintances, certain members of my extended family).
        Ben

Comment

I guess my family takes a different approach. My wife and I buy for each other. Then each of our families uses 'elfster' to do a secret santa. Each person get paired randomly with someone else, with controls added for spouses to not get each other. A nice thing about elfster is that each person can make a wish list to show things they want. The $ limit for secret santa is a bit higher, $100.. Nieces and nephews get a gift from each couple, plus a bit more from their parents and grandparents.

Comment

We all buy for the children and spend what is comfortable for each persons situation usually $30-$75 per. The adults put our name and a couple suggestions in the $50 range on an index card and then draw from a hat we have 12 adults and 6 kids.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm trying to get more in the habit of making Christmas gifts this year. Last year I made some countertop wine racks with just a jigsaw and some glue, nails, and finish, as a gift they definitely punched above their weight in terms of cost I'd say. This year it's cutting boards and maybe some six pack caddies, after buying the tools (granted, still a process considering I'm still in college) it's maybe $15-25 in raw materials per gift, plus I like making them and a little bit of thought goes a long way. Immediate family get nicer gifts though, $100-$150 range each plus stocking stuffers and such. Skills in the shop just aren't there yet

Comment

I don't have an exact set amount, but I usually try to stick to around $50.00 max per person these days. I only buy for immediate family. For friends, we normally just go out to dinner and drinks together.

Comment

Originally posted by Creature View Post
                  I guess my family takes a different approach. My wife and I buy for each other. Then each of our families uses 'elfster' to do a secret santa. Each person get paired randomly with someone else, with controls added for spouses to not get each other. A nice thing about elfster is that each person can make a wish list to show things they want. The $ limit for secret santa is a bit higher, $100.. Nieces and nephews get a gift from each couple, plus a bit more from their parents and grandparents.
                  I like this elfster idea.... I may need to consider how to pitch it for future years...

Comment

Guess I am the outlier but it was definitely something that took some adjusting for my wife. I just enjoy gift giving. I don't have minimums but love to ensure people get a meaningful gift.

For the wife there is no budget. This year I want to buy her a car. But anywhere from 500-1000 with us usually focusing on taking a trip or something with smaller gifts.
                    My brother and sister, family in laws etc. 150-300
                    Parents 300ish each
                    Extended family we do a white elephant where you select an activity or gift card to do a day with another family member
                    Friends anywhere 20-100 depending on the friend

Comment

Working...
                    X