Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall/Winter Meals

Hi everyone,

So, I've noticed that food comes up every now and then, but usually in relation to diet, exercise, etc.. Don't get me wrong, I think that's super important, but I know I also like cooking for the sake of cooking and thought there might be others who also share that passion. Or who, at the very least, view cooking as a necessity (and not a passion) and are looking for new inspiration.

Whether you're in the former or the latter, let's share some favorite fall/winter go-to's! I'll get us started... one of our favorite meals when it starts to get cooler is butternut squash risotto.

What I do is take the squash (usu. about one medium sized squash, but if you're buying pre-cut I'd figure it's safe to get 2.5-3 cups/medium package) and cut it down into bite-sized chunks. I'm not worried about making them too small, since they'll lose a lot of their moisture during cooking and shrink on you...

First I saute the squash for a couple minutes in olive oil (but veggie oil works too) on medium heat, and then throw a diced small-med. yellow onion into the pan and let them all cook together. Once the squash is soft-ish (can break apart if you squish with a wooden spoon, but not so soft it mashes), I toss in a clove of minced garlic. I just stir for about a minute, and then throw in a cup of risotto rice and then follow the instructions on the back of the box. For the first two cups of liquid, I use chicken or veggie stock. I also try to work in a half cup of white wine if we have a bottle open (or plan on having some with dinner. We don't always have it on hand/feel like breaking open the bottle just for risotto).

After that, it's just patience: keep stirring and adding liquid to make sure the rice cooks. A note I've learned along the way: it's going to take more liquid than the box calls for. For some reason, they underestimate and I've found that when the recipe calls for 2 cups, I use like 3-4 cups, but YMMV.

You'll know when it's done because of how it looks -- creamy, almost like a rice porridge or pudding. Once it's done, I throw in a handful of some shredded cheese -- usually something milder, yet still somewhat salty. Parmesan works well, as does provolone, or Jarlsberg. If you're going sans cheese, make sure to add salt and pepper to your taste unless you're using super sodium infused stocks. Then maybe you want steer clear.

And that's it! That usually goes for about 4ish (about 2 per person) "large" sized servings in my household, and there's usually enough left over for like half a lunch/small portion for the Mrs. for the next day.

You can add some crumbled bacon or blackened chicken on top too, if the no meat isn't your style. It also makes a killer pot-luck meal.

Some other go-to's are spaghetti carbonara, buffalo chicken "pot pie" (basically the innards of the pie, but baked with cornbread on top instead of crust), or garlic shrimp fried rice!

What about you guys?
    Last edited by 07Rams; October 26, 2016, 12:03 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention a step!

I really like making this simple "green soup" every once in a while in fall/winter as a break from the richness/heaviness of most cold season foods.

http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/basic-green-soup
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      I really like making this simple "green soup" every once in a while in fall/winter as a break from the richness/heaviness of most cold season foods.

http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/basic-green-soup
      This looks delicious! I've never heard of this before, nor have I seen a recipe call for the blending of the rice along with the soup contents -- I'm going to try this over the weekend, methinks!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I have a homemade venison/goose (yes, i pew them myself ) chili that aaaalllllways wins me favor with bosses.
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
          I have a homemade venison/goose (yes, i pew them myself ) chili that aaaalllllways wins me favor with bosses.
          Chili is always a good choice!! Interesting about the goose! How does is differ from duck? If it's getting used in a chili, I'm imagining goose is more on the gamier side? I've never actually had it, though.

Comment

[MENTION=15048]07Rams[/MENTION], wild goose breast in my experience has an *EXTREMELY* narrow window of done-yet-tender for nearly all forms of cooking. It can get extremely tough VERY quickly, and after several years of baking, smoking, grilling, and sous vide, I finally gave up. Slow cooker in a stew? It melts in your mouth almost as soon as it hits your tongue. It is absolutely unbelievable the difference that's made. I'll cut the venison/goose/wild pork into small cubes, toss in a hot pan for just a couple minutes to start to "gray" it (normally it's called browning but if you leave it in long enough to actually turn brown you're doing it wrong) then it goes into the slow cooker with fresh jalapenos, garlic, tomato sauce, and some other stuff. (like i'm gonna give that away, come on now!)

and every time, i "forget" to mention it's wild game just to avoid the people who turn their nose up due to either never having had it, or having had poorly-prepared game meat once and didn't like it. after they sing praises, i say 'thanks, i shot that out of the sky/stuck it with an arrow from a tree myself!'

if nothing else, *I* get a kick out of their reaction.

Comment

[MENTION=15048]07Rams[/MENTION], then it goes into the slow cooker with fresh jalapenos, garlic, tomato sauce, and some other stuff. (like i'm gonna give that away, come on now!)
              Hahaha I love it! we all have our trade secrets, my friend; keep on, keepin' on

Very, very interesting... I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for it around my neck of the woods and give it a try!

Off topic, but slightly not I guess: I once had a braised goat stew at a restaurant that was absolutely out of this world, and have been on the lookout for something similar ever since. Sounds like this may come somewhat close!

Comment

Great thread idea! I look forward to trying some of these recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by 07Rams View Post
                  Hahaha I love it! we all have our trade secrets, my friend; keep on, keepin' on

Very, very interesting... I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for it around my neck of the woods and give it a try!

Off topic, but slightly not I guess: I once had a braised goat stew at a restaurant that was absolutely out of this world, and have been on the lookout for something similar ever since. Sounds like this may come somewhat close!
                  I've had goat on numerous occasions, although nearly all involved mud huts, sitting on the ground, and the use of an interpreter.

Delicious though.

Comment

I'm all over the crockpot this time of year. Valet (anyone follow that website here?) had a bunch of recipes the other day. I'm looking forward to trying them. I can see if I have the link to the Valet article and post it here if there's interest.

Comment

I've had goat on numerous occasions, although nearly all involved mud huts, sitting on the ground, and the use of an interpreter.

Delicious though.
                      I made a green chili with goat last year and it was amazing. Just use it like you would beef, or at least that's what I did. It was great with the cilantro and tomatillos.

Comment

This has been my go-to chili recipe for years - http://www.foodwine.com/food/special...joy/chili.html.

This past weekend I made a soup that was super-easy and turned out great. Measurements are approximations: (1) 2 pounds italian sausage, (2) 1 pound of (diced) small potatoes, (3) 7ish cups of chicken broth, (4) 1/2 cup of heavy cream, (5) 1 tbs dried oregano, (6) 1 tbs dried basil, (7) 1/2 tbs red pepper flakes, (8) 1-2 bay leaves, (9) salt and pepper to taste, and (10) a few cups of fresh baby spinach.

Brown and drain the sausage. Add chicken broth and spices, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add diced potatoes. Cook until potatoes are done (10-15 minutes). Stir in heavy cream. Pour into a bowl over fresh spinach and serve. (The spinach will wilt and cook in the hot soup by the time you get it to the table.)

Recipe can easily be cut in half if you're not serving 4-6.

I also tried a boston butt in the crockpot recently, but it didn't turn out to well. (I'm open to suggestions for dry rub recipes if anyone would like to share.)

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                          I'm all over the crockpot this time of year. Valet (anyone follow that website here?) had a bunch of recipes the other day. I'm looking forward to trying them. I can see if I have the link to the Valet article and post it here if there's interest.
                          Post it, I'm interested (and too lazy to google.)

Also, I hope you all making chili and stews use cubed meat as opposed to ground? It makes such a difference and is so much better.

Comment

Some great recipes here http://www.valetmag.com/living/food-...als-102016.php

I cooked the chicken tikka masala earlier this week and it turned out quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttysonmcneely View Post
                              Post it, I'm interested (and too lazy to google.)

Also, I hope you all making chili and stews use cubed meat as opposed to ground? It makes such a difference and is so much better.
                              Seconded for the Valet link! I occasionally check in with that site (in particular I find they have some cool interior decorating tips -- some are expensive, but not too difficult to hack on the cheap if you're crafty about it), but must have missed this one! I, too, am all about the crock pot come this time of year.

You can easily make pulled pork in a CP, or even a shredded bbq beef. Take a pork shoulder or pot roast and toss it in with a bottle of your favorite BBQ, and then let it cook on low for like 5-6 hours (depending on the size of the meat, and the heat of your settings. Though, tbh, I usually start mine around 7:30/am when I leave for work and then let it go until 6/6:30pm when I get home--my CP has a "warm" setting that works super well for this). It should shred up nicely after that!

I'm loving the recipes, all! A lot of good variations on chili. Anybody here like lentils? I've subbed in those for meat, or even just added them in addition to everything else. I grew up with them, and love them in all forms!
                              Last edited by 07Rams; October 27, 2016, 10:37 AM. Reason: Spelling is not my first love

Comment

Working...
                              X