Working in the Fashion Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in the Fashion Industry

Not sure if this goes here, but didn't think it was appropriate for the clothing related forum.

I've been working for an enterprise technology company in a marketing/sales role since I graduated college (3 years ago), and think it might be time to move on.

Saying that, I've been eyeing the Fashion/"Men's style" industry for a new career.

Does anybody have experience in the industry? And advice for someone wanting to get into corporate?

Originally posted by The_Manscaper View Post
    Not sure if this goes here, but didn't think it was appropriate for the clothing related forum.

I've been working for an enterprise technology company in a marketing/sales role since I graduated college (3 years ago), and think it might be time to move on.

Saying that, I've been eyeing the Fashion/"Men's style" industry for a new career.

Does anybody have experience in the industry? And advice for someone wanting to get into corporate?
    I have plenty of advice if you want to get into corporate / make an industry switch - I've been in HR and/or recruiting in different capacities for several years now.

This is a pretty general question, so we'll start with more general advice. First off, you'll want to tailor your existing resume for your industry, company, and role. You might not exactly have fashion industry experience, but you definitely have transferrable and relevant skills that will make you effective in a new role within the fashion world. To bolster your resume, do whatever you can to add relevant experience, e.g. start a men's style blog, participate in fashion-related volunteer opportunities, or even go back and take an internship with a solid firm in the industry.

You'll also want to do your best to meet people within the industry - just having one acquaintance on the inside of your dream company can make the difference between getting an interview and getting ignored. This means reaching out and connecting on LinkedIn to people that can help, messaging them and asking to grab a cup of coffee or seeing if you can eo anything to make their lives a little easier. Sure you'll get rejected and ignored a lot of the time, but believe me, it's not personal and you need to cast a wide net anyway.

Make a list of your top 10 dream fashion companies and regularly check their open careers. This will help you focus your search and get you acquainted with the industry, job expectations, etc.

Feel free to ask me anything, or I can just keep going with the general tips.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by bringambition View Post
      I have plenty of advice if you want to get into corporate / make an industry switch - I've been in HR and/or recruiting in different capacities for several years now.

This is a pretty general question, so we'll start with more general advice. First off, you'll want to tailor your existing resume for your industry, company, and role. You might not exactly have fashion industry experience, but you definitely have transferrable and relevant skills that will make you effective in a new role within the fashion world. To bolster your resume, do whatever you can to add relevant experience, e.g. start a men's style blog, participate in fashion-related volunteer opportunities, or even go back and take an internship with a solid firm in the industry.

You'll also want to do your best to meet people within the industry - just having one acquaintance on the inside of your dream company can make the difference between getting an interview and getting ignored. This means reaching out and connecting on LinkedIn to people that can help, messaging them and asking to grab a cup of coffee or seeing if you can eo anything to make their lives a little easier. Sure you'll get rejected and ignored a lot of the time, but believe me, it's not personal and you need to cast a wide net anyway.

Make a list of your top 10 dream fashion companies and regularly check their open careers. This will help you focus your search and get you acquainted with the industry, job expectations, etc.

Hope this helps.
      Thanks man, this does help. Definitely was aware of some of this but didn't think of a couple points, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I have a few leads I think I might follow since I feel like getting a foot in the door of the industry is a huge help like you said.

Comment

Originally posted by bringambition View Post

Hope this helps.
        Thanks for your advice. It's very helpful for my career.

Comment

Working...
        X