Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody on here with martial arts skills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yogi
    replied
    May Thai for a little, then kajukenbo for a little longer, and have been doing Wing Tsun Kung fu for about 4 or 5 years now.

When my baby girls are older, probably get them into either bjj or WT king fu or muay thai and do it with them.

It's just for fun. Keeps the body and mind active. Learning new forms/movements/techniques keeps my coordination up.

Leave a comment:

• Matchbook
    replied
    Did around 10 years of TKD as a kid from 6-16; worked my way to BB, not a huge deal. Couple of years of boxing/muay thai. Worked my way through most of the BB syllabus in the Corps' MCMAP program, which is really just a special ed Krav Maga program. Well, the BB syllabus isn't bad, but every other belt below that is a "I know enough to get my ass kicked" belt. Rolled recreationally back in the day as well, but normally found myself getting balled up by BJJ dudes much smaller than me.

I did wrestling in HS my sophmore year for a week and bailed after I figured out I would have to cut weight. I wasn't having any of that as a kid. Wish I hadn't, as then I would have a much more well-rounded fight game, and probably would have kept me from getting balled up during ground fighting exercises. Much more confident on my feet. Thinking about starting BJJ soon, actually.

Leave a comment:

• bernanke
    replied
    Originally posted by APinNC View Post
    It's sad to see Krav ending up like this. In it's pure form, it's a great art; however, you are spot on with your description of it. It's just "KILL THEM ALL, and LADIES, DO YOU WANT TO BE RAPED?!?!" Most instructors are full blown d-bags.

Clicked the thread just to see how quickly a napoleon dynamite reference popped up. I was thinking:

To answer the question... I have no skills.

Leave a comment:

• APinNC
    replied
    Originally posted by ninpb View Post
    I didn't really think about the actual sport/application, just the logistics of it. My kid is shy and I don't want to disrupt a class but at the same time, I think she'd really have fun when she warms, lined up in her uniform with a bunch of other little kids. How classes, schedules work and of course the monthly membership I have no clue on.
    Most kids classes meet twice a week, right after school or a bit after. Classes usually run about an hour. Fees should run between $75 - $100 per month, depending on the art and how reputable the school is. Most schools will give your kid a free week to try it out; just show up in gym shorts and tee shirt.

Leave a comment:

• ninpb
    replied
    Originally posted by APinNC View Post
    I have a lot of friends with daughters in Muay Thai or BJJ. Most kids classes start around 4 or so, so she is getting close. BJJ is such a technical sport, that kids sometimes lose focus, but it's worth it. Kids seem to love Muay Thai; beating the hell out of pads and bags is always fun, no matter the age. You could always find a good gym that teaches kids MMA; a nice blend of striking and grappling.

My daughter will play judo or BJJ, at least to a blue belt level (~2 years); hopefully, she will want to continue past the blue belt. Not to be graphic but it's the world we live in: if a woman is about to be raped, her legs are usually being pushed upward and she is on her back. This is the perfect opportunity and position to execute a triangle choke around the neck of her assailant and put him to sleep. Once he's out, she can then proceed to break his arms, knees, and ankles.
    I didn't really think about the actual sport/application, just the logistics of it. My kid is shy and I don't want to disrupt a class but at the same time, I think she'd really have fun when she warms, lined up in her uniform with a bunch of other little kids. How classes, schedules work and of course the monthly membership I have no clue on.

Leave a comment:

• APinNC
    replied
    Originally posted by ninpb View Post
    I'm starting to research for my 3.5 yr/old girl. My wife and I have zero experience and really have only yelp to guide us. A little intimidated by it.
    I have a lot of friends with daughters in Muay Thai or BJJ. Most kids classes start around 4 or so, so she is getting close. BJJ is such a technical sport, that kids sometimes lose focus, but it's worth it. Kids seem to love Muay Thai; beating the hell out of pads and bags is always fun, no matter the age. You could always find a good gym that teaches kids MMA; a nice blend of striking and grappling.

My daughter will play judo or BJJ, at least to a blue belt level (~2 years); hopefully, she will want to continue past the blue belt. Not to be graphic but it's the world we live in: if a woman is about to be raped, her legs are usually being pushed upward and she is on her back. This is the perfect opportunity and position to execute a triangle choke around the neck of her assailant and put him to sleep. Once he's out, she can then proceed to break his arms, knees, and ankles.

Leave a comment:

• ninpb
    replied
    I'm starting to research for my 3.5 yr/old girl. My wife and I have zero experience and really have only yelp to guide us. A little intimidated by it.

Leave a comment:

• Deke
    replied
    I did Tae Kwon Do long enough as a kid to reach first degree black belt. That was 20 years ago now though, so I'd pretty much be starting from scratch. I've considered Krav Maga more recently, but I just haven't found anything convenient to me (or looked really hard).

Leave a comment:

• APinNC
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Welp, I did krav maga for about a month a while back, but the angry head-banging metal music, the glorification of paranoia ("you WILL get raped and murdered by random strangers in the dark if you don't learn how to beat the shit out of people"), and the trainers' not-so-subtle homophobia were all huge turn-offs for me.
    It's sad to see Krav ending up like this. In it's pure form, it's a great art; however, you are spot on with your description of it. It's just "KILL THEM ALL, and LADIES, DO YOU WANT TO BE RAPED?!?!" Most instructors are full blown d-bags.

Leave a comment:

• mmgfarb
    replied
    I've done a mixed martial art called Tai Shin Do for around 5.5 years now. It's a relatively new martial art but it's a mix of shotokan, judo, jujitsu and akido and I have a great instructor so I really enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Welp, I did krav maga for about a month a while back, but the angry head-banging metal music, the glorification of paranoia ("you WILL get raped and murdered by random strangers in the dark if you don't learn how to beat the shit out of people"), and the trainers' not-so-subtle homophobia were all huge turn-offs for me.

Leave a comment:

• APinNC
    started a topic Anybody on here with martial arts skills?

Anybody on here with martial arts skills?

Just curious to see if anyone on here trains currently, or used to, in any form of martial arts.

I boxed a lot when I was younger. Played Judo and BJJ for a while until I had hip surgeries, so Judo is definitely out going forward. I can still play offensive, but cannot take the falls anymore. I may get back into BJJ, but at the moment I'm still just drilling at home.

I'm getting back into boxing, and I hope to start Filipino (Arnis) in the future.
Working...
X