Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm pretty sure I'm the most hated man on that subreddit...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric Leija View Post
    [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] I never said the style couldn't or shouldn't be worn outside of new York, although I don't like the style, if you look at my comment; I never said "Don't wear it." It's not my style.

My initial thought, which WAS correct by the way... was if I was in my early 20's living in New York I'd wear that. And remember all I had to go on was the photo alone. It wasn't until later in the comments that someone posted the photos origin, and guess what: it was a blogger... from New York.

People in Texas come from all over, hell even people born in Texas, we don't all wear "Texas Style" clothes all the time (or some cases ever). Texas is BIG place. Why are people getting emotional by facts?

Fact: The shoes were dirty in the photo, and I prefer clean shoes in a photo.
    Fact: The beard was uneven; it was deliberately messy, and I prefer full beard or clean shave.
    Fact: I thought that style looked New Yorkish, turns out the photo and blogger were from New York.

The only opinion was about the beanie. Bro, I don't even wear a hat to the ballpark. I don't do hats. (mostly)

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] I own white canvass too, they're called Vans for Jcrew... that's just what they're called. And hey they're dirty too (that doesn't mean I don't try to keep them clean). In a photo, personally, I want pristine clothes and shoes... especially if I'm being marketed to.

There is NOTHING wrong with an uneven beard, in my earlier days I sported longer goti with beard. It's not me anymore. And, it's a messy look. Deliberately messy... see where I'm going with this... These are all facts... why all the tears and butt hurt (around the web)?

Am I supposed to be all PC about it? Naw!
    At the risk of piling on...

This comment reminds me of a client I had in an employment dispute. Management initiated termination proceedings, and my client was considering his options. His sticking point was that he had never done anything "technically" wrong, and even if he had done something "technically" wrong, he wasn't informed by management beforehand that it was wrong. After a brief period of trying to be diplomatic, I finally had to explain to him that, "technicalities" aside, he likely was being fired because he was being an ass to management on a daily basis.

So the point being, it really doesn't matter if your opinion is based on facts or other technicalities. If, at the end of the day you come across as an ass, you may be the most hated man on a subreddit because you come across as an ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
      Also, others may not feel this way, but when someone calls me "bro" in person it bugs me; when someone does it in writing...I find it absolutely infuriating. It's hard to convey tone in writing, but "bro" almost always comes off as super condescending. Again, just speaking for myself here.
      Don't worry -- you can speak for me on that as well. John Beckwith can sum up my feelings on the usage of "bro", written or verbal: "Grow up, Peter Pan! Count Chocula!"

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Leija View Post
        It's a style you see in the shows and movies all the time. Movies and shows based in New York. It's not insulting, it's a matter of fact. The shoes literally are dirty. His goti is literally longer than the rest of his beard... it's uneven. I guess I could have left out "geez the beanie." I'm not sure what you want me to say about that. It's a messy look. They were GOING for a messy look... Am I taking crazy pills here? What I was going to say was "maybe too urban" but I was afraid people would associate that with negative connotations.

Personally, I don't mind the term hick/redneck. I grew up in the country, not a farm or ranch. But I was known to wear cowboy boots and wranglers, so was literally everyone else in my school (elementary). Redneck where I'm from is a point of pride, believe it or not. If I see a guy in a business suit with boots and cowboy (or even without the cowboy hat), yea I think 'that right there is a classy redneck'
        Yeah. Grew up in the country as well. Saying cowboy boots look hick/redneck is about as obvious as saying the sky is blue. Not sure why someone would feel insulted about that.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Dubs View Post

This comment reminds me of a client I had in an employment dispute. Management initiated termination proceedings, and my client was considering his options. His sticking point was that he had never done anything "technically" wrong, and even if he had done something "technically" wrong, he wasn't informed by management beforehand that it was wrong. After a brief period of trying to be diplomatic, I finally had to explain to him that, "technicalities" aside, he likely was being fired because he was being an ass to management on a daily basis.

So the point being, it really doesn't matter if your opinion is based on facts or other technicalities. If, at the end of the day you come across as an ass, you may be the most hated man on a subreddit because you come across as an ass.
          More people ought to read "How to Win Friends and Influence People"

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverGuest View Post
            I am absolutely tickled by the meta turn this thread has taken.
            I think this is what being incepted feels like.

Comment

Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
              A problem may be someone who normally acts critical all the time and reads that book may then start acting faux uncritical all the time.

There is clearly a balance where people will respect direct, critical observations more if that person isn't always being critical about everything. However, letting someone know they are hyper critical is one of the most delicate operations of all. Even someone figuring it out themselves can be frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
                A problem may be someone who normally acts critical all the time and reads that book may then start acting faux uncritical all the time.

There is clearly a balance where people will respect direct, critical observations more if that person isn't always being critical about everything. However, letting someone know they are hyper critical is one of the most delicate operations of all. Even someone figuring it out themselves can be frustrating.
                Are you two brothers?
                [MENTION=14805]ianmichaelray[/MENTION] [MENTION=14616]CJMichaelRay[/MENTION]
                Last edited by thecharlesg; February 25, 2016, 02:15 PM.
                My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Superb book.
                  My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Originally posted by C.Dubs View Post

I mean I'm willing to say I can be an ass. Definitely. I wasn't intentionally being an ass. But just like a stupid person, an ass doesn't know he's being an ass unless he's told he's being an ass.

Comment

Great book. I should probably pick it up and give it a read again. It's been several years since I read it last. Highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                        Are you two brothers?
                        [MENTION=14805]ianmichaelray[/MENTION] [MENTION=14616]CJMichaelRay[/MENTION]
                        Haha merely a coincidence! Though I created my account first ;-)

Comment

Working...
                        X