Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm pretty sure I'm the most hated man on that subreddit...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex1 View Post
    I would recommend avoiding vicious or ad hominem attacks.
    Like I said, I don't go in looking for a fight. People who know me personally, they'll tell you that I'm a straight shooter. I call 'em like I see 'em. I try to be soft I really do. Here is an example of me being soft initially, but later in the comments I get a little snarky.

Found this image on google. Like this casual style. Particularly the jacket. by Occupymydeskchair in malefashionadvice
    http://lookbook.nu/look/1360113-H&M-...native-Apparel

[–]leijae -33 points 3 days ago
    I was just thinking that style looks specific to New York. Clicked the link, turns out I was right. If that's what you like, wear it, and wear it confidently.
    For me, it's a little messy; maybe too.... I'll stick with messy: dirty shoes, uneven beard length, untucked shirt, and geez the beanie.

That link was posted by another user as the original image, so initially the only thing I saw the image itself without the title from the link that says something like "I'll love you New York..."
    Last edited by Shomas; February 24, 2016, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Leija View Post
      Like I said, I don't go in looking for a fight. People who know me personally, they'll tell you that I'm a straight shooter. I call 'em like I see 'em. I try to be soft I really do. Here is an example of me being soft initially, but later in the comments I get a little snarky.

Found this image on google. Like this casual style. Particularly the jacket. by Occupymydeskchair in malefashionadvice
      http://lookbook.nu/look/1360113-H&M-...native-Apparel

[–]leijae -33 points 3 days ago
      I was just thinking that style looks specific to New York. Clicked the link, turns out I was right. If that's what you like, wear it, and wear it confidently.
      For me, it's a little messy; maybe too.... I'll stick with messy: dirty shoes, uneven beard length, untucked shirt, and geez the beanie.

That link was posted by another user as the original image, so initially the only thing I saw the image itself without the title from the link that says something like "I'll love you New York..."
      Maybe it's just my "New York Values", but I'll go ahead and say I'm not surprised you got some backlash for your comments. If you didn't mean to spark debate by linking 'dirty'/'uneven' with NYC, I'm not sure what you meant. Would you be slightly insulted if someone said that your cowboy boots were just a bit hick/redneck?

For what it's worth, I've lived for years in both Texas and NYC. I wouldn't consider that a New York look specifically, I'd probably expect it's more Cali than anything.
      Last edited by hornsup84; February 24, 2016, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
        Maybe it's just my "New York Values", but I'll go ahead and say I'm not surprised you got some backlash for your comments. If you didn't mean to spark debate by linking 'dirty'/'uneven' with NYC, I'm not sure what you meant. Would you be slightly insulted if someone said that your cowboy boots were just a bit hick/redneck?

For what it's worth, I've lived for years in both Texas and NYC. I wouldn't consider that a New York look specifically, I'd probably expect it's more Cali than anything.
        That is a very LA look. When I first looked, Chucks were the first thing I noticed. It's probably a look that's more common in large cities. I would imagine you would see similar looks in Atlanta, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc. I don't see anything inherently wrong with it. It's a lot better than a lot of the stuff I see on the internet. The internet certainly does connect everyone from eastern tennessee to southern california. A lot of people's opinions are very geographically oriented. I see a lot of stuff from people in smaller cities or rural areas and don't like it. But sometimes it may work for them.
        My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
          It's a style you see in the shows and movies all the time. Movies and shows based in New York. It's not insulting, it's a matter of fact. The shoes literally are dirty. His goti is literally longer than the rest of his beard... it's uneven. I guess I could have left out "geez the beanie." I'm not sure what you want me to say about that. It's a messy look. They were GOING for a messy look... Am I taking crazy pills here? What I was going to say was "maybe too urban" but I was afraid people would associate that with negative connotations.

Personally, I don't mind the term hick/redneck. I grew up in the country, not a farm or ranch. But I was known to wear cowboy boots and wranglers, so was literally everyone else in my school (elementary). Redneck where I'm from is a point of pride, believe it or not. If I see a guy in a business suit with boots and cowboy (or even without the cowboy hat), yea I think 'that right there is a classy redneck'

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish View Post
            It's always fun to see what is going on. There should be a subreddit for expensive items for cheaper. FMF is basically making cheap even cheaper. I'd like something that posts deals for higher end brands... I guess that's what styleforum is for.
            There was a subreddit for deals on more expensive goods called r/expensivemalefashion but it got super snooty and went private.

Comment

It's a style you see in the shows and movies all the time. Movies and shows based in New York. It's not insulting, it's a matter of fact.
              Shows and movies made in/by Hollywood... but I'm sure that's more accurate than my having lived here for years. I have friends that live in Texas (albeit Austin) that wear stuff that looks eerily similar to that look as well.

I doubt anyone enjoys them or their stuff being referred to as "dirty", but it's a matter of life that shoes don't stay clean in urban areas where one actually walks more than between the parking lot and whatever building they're going to. The idea that 'looks' are based on unused shoes that are pristine is a bit of a peeve / personal preference of mine (clothes and shoes are meant to be used, not babied) -- and it's a bit annoying to me that style bloggers' (among other outlets) shoes look like they've just been pulled out of the box despite the shoot being in the middle of a road in downtown NYC.

All that being said, if you wanted to avoid backlash, phrasing could go a long way. Rather than saying that it's dirty, uneven, etc., you could focus on what you prefer (as opposed to what's shown). For example, you could have said "That isn't my style, I prefer a cleaner, tucked in look and am not a big beanie fan."

Comment

It's a style you see in the shows and movies all the time. Movies and shows based in New York. It's not insulting, it's a matter of fact. The shoes literally are dirty. His goti is literally longer than the rest of his beard... it's uneven. I guess I could have left out "geez the beanie." I'm not sure what you want me to say about that. It's a messy look. They were GOING for a messy look... Am I taking crazy pills here? What I was going to say was "maybe too urban" but I was afraid people would associate that with negative connotations.

Personally, I don't mind the term hick/redneck. I grew up in the country, not a farm or ranch. But I was known to wear cowboy boots and wranglers, so was literally everyone else in my school (elementary). Redneck where I'm from is a point of pride, believe it or not. If I see a guy in a business suit with boots and cowboy (or even without the cowboy hat), yea I think 'that right there is a classy redneck'
                I would say it's not a good idea to refer to something as too urban. Or say something is too new York or any other city. I wouldn't refer to something as too country. Part of dressing we'll involves adapting to your geographic location.
                My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Ell oh ell, I own "dirty" white canvas sneakers (if "dirty" now means "not bleached-white") and my beard is "uneven" (if "uneven" now means "styled to be slightly longer in the goatee area and shorter everywhere else"). I've spent a whopping three or four days in NYC in my entire life and that was over a decade ago.
                  Ben

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] I never said the style couldn't or shouldn't be worn outside of new York, although I don't like the style, if you look at my comment; I never said "Don't wear it." It's not my style.

My initial thought, which WAS correct by the way... was if I was in my early 20's living in New York I'd wear that. And remember all I had to go on was the photo alone. It wasn't until later in the comments that someone posted the photos origin, and guess what: it was a blogger... from New York.

People in Texas come from all over, hell even people born in Texas, we don't all wear "Texas Style" clothes all the time (or some cases ever). Texas is BIG place. Why are people getting emotional by facts?

Fact: The shoes were dirty in the photo, and I prefer clean shoes in a photo.
                    Fact: The beard was uneven; it was deliberately messy, and I prefer full beard or clean shave.
                    Fact: I thought that style looked New Yorkish, turns out the photo and blogger were from New York.

The only opinion was about the beanie. Bro, I don't even wear a hat to the ballpark. I don't do hats. (mostly)

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] I own white canvass too, they're called Vans for Jcrew... that's just what they're called. And hey they're dirty too (that doesn't mean I don't try to keep them clean). In a photo, personally, I want pristine clothes and shoes... especially if I'm being marketed to.

There is NOTHING wrong with an uneven beard, in my earlier days I sported longer goti with beard. It's not me anymore. And, it's a messy look. Deliberately messy... see where I'm going with this... These are all facts... why all the tears and butt hurt (around the web)?

Am I supposed to be all PC about it? Naw!

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] I never said the style couldn't or shouldn't be worn outside of new York, although I don't like the style, if you look at my comment; I never said "Don't wear it." It's not my style.

My initial thought, which WAS correct by the way... was if I was in my early 20's living in New York I'd wear that. And remember all I had to go on was the photo alone. It wasn't until later in the comments that someone posted the photos origin, and guess what: it was a blogger... from New York.

People in Texas come from all over, hell even people born in Texas, we don't all wear "Texas Style" clothes all the time (or some cases ever). Texas is BIG place. Why are people getting emotional by facts?

Fact: The shoes were dirty in the photo, and I prefer clean shoes in a photo.
                      Fact: The beard was uneven; it was deliberately messy, and I prefer full beard or clean shave.
                      Fact: I thought that style looked New Yorkish, turns out the photo and blogger were from New York.

The only opinion was about the beanie. Bro, I don't even wear a hat to the ballpark. I don't do hats. (mostly)

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] I own white canvass too, they're called Vans for Jcrew... that's just what they're called. And hey they're dirty too (that doesn't mean I don't try to keep them clean). In a photo, personally, I want pristine clothes and shoes... especially if I'm being marketed to.

There is NOTHING wrong with an uneven beard, in my earlier days I sported longer goti with beard. It's not me anymore. And, it's a messy look. Deliberately messy... see where I'm going with this... These are all facts... why all the tears and butt hurt (around the web)?

Am I supposed to be all PC about it? Naw!
                      TBH I can see why you might get negative feedback for comments on Reddit or wherever. Regardless of the substance of your opinions, you do seem to be rather careless and arrogant with your tone. ("Dirty" to describe off-white shoes, "uneven" to describe a particular facial hair style... "These are all facts" when describing your own opinion... "why all the tears and butt hurt" when describing someone else's... "Am I supposed to be all PC about it?" when others suggest maybe you should monitor the tone of your comments....)
                      Ben

Comment

I am absolutely tickled by the meta turn this thread has taken.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          TBH I can see why you might get negative feedback for comments on Reddit or wherever. Regardless of the substance of your opinions, you do seem to be rather careless and arrogant with your tone. ("Dirty" to describe off-white shoes, "uneven" to describe a particular facial hair style... "These are all facts" when describing your own opinion... "why all the tears and butt hurt" when describing someone else's... "Am I supposed to be all PC about it?" when others suggest maybe you should monitor the tone of your comments....)
                          As long as we're critiquing..."goti" is, um, a highly unorthodox spelling. Not saying you can't use it, just that I wouldn't.

Also, others may not feel this way, but when someone calls me "bro" in person it bugs me; when someone does it in writing...I find it absolutely infuriating. It's hard to convey tone in writing, but "bro" almost always comes off as super condescending. Again, just speaking for myself here.

Also, I agree that those Chucks don't look that dirty. Certainly less so than my own.

On the larger point, I find internet forum drama to be tedious and silly. Obviously, it's sometimes unavoidable, but I absolutely hate it. Accordingly, I (usually) tend to take a breath and moderate the way I phrase things - even when my first inclination is to pound the virtual table. I have strong opinions (some of them are even informed!) and in real life I have a pretty sharp tongue, which I'm sometimes tempted to wield online, but to me it's almost never worth the hassle and elevated blood pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                            As long as we're critiquing..."goti" is, um, a highly unorthodox spelling. Not saying you can't use it, just that I wouldn't.

Also, others may not feel this way, but when someone calls me "bro" in person it bugs me; when someone does it in writing...I find it absolutely infuriating. It's hard to convey tone in writing, but "bro" almost always comes off as super condescending. Again, just speaking for myself here.

Also, I agree that those Chucks don't look that dirty. Certainly less so than my own.

On the larger point, I find internet forum drama to be tedious and silly. Obviously, it's sometimes unavoidable, but I absolutely hate it. Accordingly, I (usually) tend to take a breath and moderate the way I phrase things - even when my first inclination is to pound the virtual table. I have strong opinions (some of them are even informed!) and in real life I have a pretty sharp tongue, which I'm sometimes tempted to wield online, but to me it's almost never worth the hassle and elevated blood pressure.
                            In keeping with our move to meta threads, please relocate this post to the thread titled "I'm pretty sure I'm the most reasonable man on Dappered Threads..."

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverGuest View Post
                              In keeping with our move to meta threads, please relocate this post to the thread titled "I'm pretty sure I'm the most reasonable man on Dappered Threads..."

Thanks.
                              Hell, I'm usually not even the most reasonable man in my own house.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                                Hell, I'm usually not even the most reasonable man in my own house.
                                For your sake, I hope the internet is less reasonable than your house, which makes this a sort of cyclops-in-the-land-of-the-blind scenario.

Comment

Working...
                                X