Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm pretty sure I'm the most hated man on that subreddit...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure I'm the most hated man on that subreddit...

I lurk on /r/malefashionadvice because not because I'm looking for advice (although sometimes people post very informative comments), but mainly because it's entertaining to see high schoolers and young men tell each other how great they look in their "Yeezy" shoes.

If you're familiar with reddit, I get downvoted to oblivion sometimes for simply commenting that 'I disagree with your opinion, but if you like it wear it confidently.' A lot of times I regurgitate information that I learn here, or opinions I've heard here...

Are you part of any other forums or discussions aside from Dappered Threads where you're hated or highly controversial?

I try not to be hated. The only place people are truly nasty towards me on the Internet is science advocacy forums... from people who don't appreciate science, of course.

I think you may find you will catch more flies with honey. I find little point in disagreeing with things that are purely taste. I have linked to that subreddit elsewhere as an example of what not to do, though.

Comment

I have perused fashion stuff on reddit. It's awful.
      My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

People complain about SF but at least there's space for various interests there and the community is broad. Reddit MFA/FMF/GYW are varying degrees of awful.

Comment

I don't waste my time in MFA, and FMF is full of idiots who wouldn't know a good deal if it smacked them in the face, but I've learned quite a bit on GYW. It's a great group of people, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
            I don't waste my time in MFA, and FMF is full of idiots who wouldn't know a good deal if it smacked them in the face, but I've learned quite a bit on GYW. It's a great group of people, imo.
            What is GYW?
            My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
              What is GYW?
              GYW is r/Goodyearwelt.

Comment

It's always fun to see what is going on. There should be a subreddit for expensive items for cheaper. FMF is basically making cheap even cheaper. I'd like something that posts deals for higher end brands... I guess that's what styleforum is for.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                  GYW is r/Goodyearwelt.
                  I hadn't heard of this one, I'll check it out.

I try not to troll... REALLY I DO! But sometimes, I'm compelled to tell someone, Hey you're a fucking idiot. I'm sorry, but he'll never know if someone doesn't tell him!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish View Post
                    It's always fun to see what is going on. There should be a subreddit for expensive items for cheaper. FMF is basically making cheap even cheaper. I'd like something that posts deals for higher end brands... I guess that's what styleforum is for.
                    That would be a great idea, but no way they'd do it. So FMF has has a ridiculous range of people willing to spend hundreds ~ thousands of dollars on high fashion items mixed with people who argue that Jomers isn't a frugal purchase because it never goes on sale.

Comment

Used to contribute on MFA every so often, but the subreddit as a whole is simply unrelatable to me. The whole "w2c" "those NBs are fire!!!" and the general aesthetic that they've currently latched onto simply doesn't work for those of us with degrees and work in offices (especially in client/customer facing roles).

Some of the stuff that makes their "Top of WAYWT" is just absolutely bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Leija View Post
                        I hadn't heard of this one, I'll check it out.

I try not to troll... REALLY I DO! But sometimes, I'm compelled to tell someone, Hey you're a fucking idiot. I'm sorry, but he'll never know if someone doesn't tell him!
                        It's a good group if you're looking to upgrade your footwear. It's not for people who are content with their JCPs/Aldos, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Leija View Post
                          Are you part of any other forums or discussions aside from Dappered Threads where you're hated or highly controversial?
                          I'm not outwardly hated on any forum. Generally, I keep a very low profile or do everything I can to be friendly and helpful to fellow forum members.

The only time I've experienced a lot of controversy is on a car forum. I have a car listed at a price that stirred a surprising amount of debate, which got pretty negative at times.

Comment

I would consider good shoes a "deal" in some ways. I've gone through periods of having decent shoes to not and back again. I would say it is generally cheaper to resole a good pair and spend $40 every now and then on shoe products than it is to spend $60–$100 on shoes that will die within a year or two. One of the reasons I went to cheap footwear is my last pair of good boots finally got a hole in it after ten years and I couldn't stomach another $450 even though I would still have that pair to this day, likely still wearable... big mistake.

Edit: worst part of that being I probably have spent more money on poor footwear than quality and can't even remember what any of the cheap ones were, but can recall exactly what pairs of good boots and shoes I've had since they lasted so long.
                            Last edited by ianr; February 23, 2016, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I would recommend avoiding vicious or ad hominem attacks. Phrases like "I think ..." or "In my opinion ..." can help to soften the blow of any contrarian views you hold.

I don't have a Reddit account, but I frequently scan FMF for deals. I usually don't find any good deals unless I am already familiar with the retailer or product. The signal to noise ratio is low on FMF. I occasionally read the other subreddits when they show up after doing a google search. I have found helpful information on the non-FMF subreddits that way, but I don't have any experience with reading them regularly.

Comment

Working...
                              X