Anyone else into vinyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey All,

I'm completely new to the Dappered forums and this vinyl thread caught my eye. I'm a 50-something guy, so I was listening to vinyl when it was the ONLY choice. CDs arrived, then digital downloads and all my vinyl stuff got stuffed into storage. About 3 years ago when the vinyl resurrection started, I decided I would dust off my gear and start listening. All my records and stereo gear were vintage. I had a Yamaha CA-800 integrated amp, Denon 30DP-3L direct drive turntable with a Grado cartridge and a pair of compact KEF speakers. My amp had managed to develop a loud hum in one channel and the local vintage repair guy declared it unfixable. My wife bought me an NAD C316BEE integrated amp for my birthday and I set things up in our bedroom.

I dug out my original copies of some favorite records like REM-Murmur, Carol King-Tapestry, Miles Davis-Kind of Blue and we sat around for hours rediscovering favorite music. That's the good news. The bad news is that I had been bitten by the vinyl/stereo bug. I started reading Stereophile.com and music forums. I started upgrading gear. First I got a pair of highly rated Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 speakers and they sounded so much better than the old KEFs. I found a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge on super discount at a local record store and upgraded the old turntable. Each of these steps produced quantum leaps in sound quality. Next I found an Exposure 2010S integrated amp and replaced the NAD. The nice thing is that I was able to easily sell every piece of gear so the upgrades were pretty painless. My current (and I think pretty much final) set-up is a Manley Labs integrated tube amp, Dynaudio Focus 160 speakers, VPI Traveler turntable with a Dynavector 20X2 cartridge. Everything was purchased used or on close-out from sellers on Audiogon.com.

I had a substantial vinyl collection of about 300 records. Honestly, some of the music sounds pretty dated but I've been combing local and online record stores and found some amazing gems. My wife was in a band back in her youth and she shares my enjoyment of vinyl and music. It's become something we do together just about every day so I would say after everything is said and done this has been a wonderful investment in my daily happiness!

I read some of the posts here about the joy of a simple set-up and I agree that you don't need to spend a lot of cash to have a good set-up. That being said, a little more cash can really upgrade the sound. If anyone wants to pick my brain for some stereo set-ups, I definitely have an opinion and might be able to help you avoid some pitfalls and save some cash.

Happy listening!
    Last edited by highzoot; July 13, 2016, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X